It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2009, 02:41 PM   #1
(female)

Galsal59 HB User
Opinion on results?

Received new lab results today and would appreciate opinions. Everything came into "normal" range, which ALWAYS occurs for me.

TSH 3rd Gen - 1.121 0.400-5.500
T3 Total - 0.84 0.70 - 1.79
Thyroxine - 6.8 4.5 - 12.0

Also checked was Cortisol at a 7:55am draw.

Cortisol - 14.4 4.3 - 22.4

Thanks,
Sal

Old 08-10-2009, 03:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: Opinion on results?

Sorry but these tests aren't helpful for diagnosing thyroid disease.

Unfortunately doctors continue to run these useless tests and as a result we stay hypo much longer than we should. I assume you are symptomatic, hence why you are posting here?

You'll have to trudge back to your doc and ask for a Free T3, Free T4 and while he's at it throw in TPO-Ab and TG-Ab antibody tests. I'd also ask for a vitamin D, B12, and ferritin.

As far as cortisol goes, it's far more helpful to get a diurnal saliva test rather than a single serum draw. Cortisol levels start out high in the am and fall during the day and if you are dipping low at any particular time it's indicitive of adrenal fatigue.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2009, 07:54 PM   #3
(female)

Galsal59 HB User

Thanks for a response. Heck, it took forever just to get that much tested, not just TSH!

Sal

Old 08-10-2009, 10:14 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

It's true the tests make up a bad thyroid "panel", but the total T3 and thyroxine results are low enough to strongly suggest that the free Ts are also too low.

Get the better tests, but expect to fight for someone to interpret them correctly. The problem is that your TSH isn't abnormal-looking enough for a typical inside-the-box-thinking MD to pay attention to. They've been trained to believe that TSH is the be-all, end-all of thyroid tests. It's far from it.

Pursue this.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:16 AM   #5
(female)

Galsal59 HB User

Thanks. I've rather figured for years something is going on. We know I have some kind of inflammatory thing going on but it's never been found from what. Then again, no one's ever paid much attention to thyroid since baseline looks good enough for no one to think out of the box. Hell, even my Chiropractor figured there's something inflammatory.

Have Fibrolmyalgia. Have had Lyme with Babesiosis. Showed positive once for Rheumatoid Factor and was dx'd with that but haven't ever shown with it again nor did anything ever occur from it. Rarely ever have abnormal inflammation test results.

Sal

Old 08-15-2009, 01:10 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I have a lot of similar inflammatory stuff going on with my joints as well as fibro. I'm pretty convinced it's all an offshoot of my hypothyroidism. The longer I'm on treatment and getting my hormone levels up to where they should be the more the inflammation and fibro pain seems to be retreating.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:26 PM   #7
(female)

vintageviolets HB User

Sal,
You mention "rarely ever have abnormal inflammation test results..." and I would like to know what tests are often done to find inflammation in the body. C Reactive Protein? or sed rate?

thanks
vintageviolets

Old 08-16-2009, 08:39 PM   #8
(female)

Galsal59 HB User

Yes, CRP and Sed Rate tests rarely, if ever, show inflammation. When they do, it's barely into the "high" range. Have also had the more specific CRP type test done...nothing unusual.

As for the FMS, I can tell you that since I've followed the South Beach Diet and given up all the "white stuff" (ie, rice, potato, sugar, bread, etc), I've felt loads better. Haven't used any NSAID since January nor any pain med. Was able to lose 20 pounds too. Hooray! Low fat/low calorie did next to nothing for me...only lost about 3 pounds in 6-8 weeks on that one. Acckkk!

One of the very odd things though is that my overall Cholesterol is good although the "good" cholesterol is waaaaay low and the "bad" is into the "high" range. Even on a eating plan for cardiac patients. WTH is up with that.

So, although this is Thyroid board, will share this.

Triglycerides - 105 (40-149)
Cholesterol - 190 (120-199)
HDL - 18 ( >=40)
LDL - 151 (0-99)

Okay, so I'm just a mess it seems.

Sal

Old 08-16-2009, 09:10 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Hypothyroidism is the second leading cause of high LDL after poor diet. It's a big hairy secret that statin-loving MD prescribers don't like to acknowledge, but it's the truth.

I don't believe that would account for your low HDL, however.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:09 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

I agree with midwest on the dirty little secret about cholesterol and thyroid. If everyone were properly screened and treated with inexpensive thyroid hormones the drug companies would be facing some serious loss of revenue, not only with statins but antidepressants, weight-loss drugs, beta-blockers, NSAIDs, and a ton of other medications. The savings in health care would be enormous IMHO.

I've noticed a few things about my cholesterol prior to thyroid treatment. One is when I was on full-time birth control pills for about 9 years to try to control my dysfunctional uterine bleeding my cholesterol numbers shot up and my HDL fell. Then after I had my hysterectomy and d/c'd the BC pills they went into very nice low numbers with a very high HDL. But when my hypo symptoms got worse and my free T3 fell below range my cholesterol once again shot up along with my LDL with a falling HDL. So it's certain to me that our various hormones being out of whack really do play a huge part in these levels.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:44 AM   #11
(female)

vintageviolets HB User

Sal,
When I am hypoT my cholesterol is worse ratio, when I am up on Armour (not sure about synthroid alone), it is better. That I know. I also started the prescription 'esthers of fish oil,' one gram a day, to raise the GOOD cholesterol a bit. It is working!

just a thought
vintageviolets

Old 08-17-2009, 07:10 PM   #12
(female)

Galsal59 HB User

Thanks for the responses folks. Had an appt at the VA today with my PCP but she had a stand-in due to being out with an ill infant. The Dr was good though, will give her that. She'd actually READ some of my chart to have an idea of what we were dealing with. Told her the two things I wanted to address were the Cholesterol and Thyroid.

Showed her the Thyroid results and she agreed although they were in the "normal" range they were low. So she ordered Free T3 and Free T4 along with TSH again. She wouldn't order the antibodies test, says she doesn't unless sees something to warrant it...like how these results come out.

Showed her the Cholesterol results and she wasn't concerned since the overall number was good and that the "bad" number was barely into high. She agreed that maybe it was just a fluke thing that day to get the very low number on HDL.

Naturally, she was pushing the quit smoking thing too. About ready to make the time to attend the smoking cessation event there to get the Chantrix for a low co-pay. I only pay $8 for Rx from the VA. That's a major diff if used my own insurance!

It was humorous in that she asked the question so many do when talking to me at medical appts...are you in the medical field, a nurse, doctor. Nope, I just research what is relevant for my own use. Did train as an EMT, Nurse's Aide, etc. LOL

Sal

Old 08-22-2009, 06:15 PM   #13
(female)

Galsal59 HB User
Re: Opinion on results? wait, now confused!

I thought a low T would indicate hypo and now I'm reading it's hyper instead? Huh?

Well, from what I've read there are those that act like both. How odd though.

Will go next week and pick up copy of lab results from the VA. Regular Dr called to have an appt scheduled with me but it's not until 9/8. I asked to meet with her to discuss my getting cleared to go back into the Army Reserves. Need the VA to approve it since showed with degenerative disc disease in mid-30s while in the military. Do believe this is what we're to talk about, since the VA doesn't CALL to have you come in - they send a letter to have you schedule an appt.

Likely should have said Maternal Grandmother had a goiter removed. Vaguely recall something about thyroid being said, but not certain. This was in the days before iodized salt and all. So, can't tell if runs in family or just a product of her time.

How bizarre, since tend to exhibit more hypo symptoms than hyper. Definitely don't lose weight easily. Can't do it with a low fat/low calorie diet - only works with lower or better carb type like South Beach.

On the other hand, I definitely have heat intolerance and rarely get cold.

Had infertility problems for a number of years, let alone problems carrying to term. There were at least four miscarriages before hit a period of three years of not getting pregnant even when no birth control was used.

I do appreciate all of the information I read from others here. Thanks!

Sal

Closed Thread