It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2009, 05:20 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User
Does anemia cause hypo or does hypo cause anemia?

My new MD thinks I may be anemic. Anemia does run in my family, as well as thyroid problems, so I'm wondering what causes what. I'm hoping my doc will continue treating the thryoid if that's causing the low iron and not just treat the low iron, thinking it's a separate problem.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: Does anemia cause hypo or does hypo cause anemia?

I don't know the answer for sure but I'm pretty certain that due to our absorption issues arising from hypothyroidism many of us are deficient in iron and other minerals and vitamins (be sure to check your D and B12 levels too if you haven't already).

If you are low in your free T levels and symptomatic you need thyroid treatment. Increasing your iron isn't going to fix that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2009, 06:16 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
Re: Does anemia cause hypo or does hypo cause anemia?

After years of being fed lies that my thyroid was fine, i decided to visit a Trichologist to get help with my hair shedding issues. The first thing he said when he found out i had long term low iron was that this can lead to thyroid issues. He then helped me lift my ferritin levels and when my thyroid labs weren't improving he tested my antibodies which ended up showing i had Hashimoto's. So there can be a connection with long term low iron as that can cause other things within the body to not work as effectively.

Now that i'm with a new doctor getting my thyroid treatment, he has done testing to reveal that my pancrease is not producing sufficient enzymes to digest protein foods. The pancreas is part of the endocrine system and therefore it's safe to say if your thyroid isn't working then most likely that the pancreas wont be as effective either. This is the most likely a common link to malabsorption of nutrients, but how many doctors run a stool analysis to check their patients digestive/malabsorption situation?

A lot of people with autoimmune diseases are also gluten intolerant. If you aren't gluten intolerant, gluten still can be causing malabsorption and other issues as it's not really a friend to our delicate immune system. Studies have shown it's a good idea to cut out gluten entirely or as much as possible and it can benefit our antibodies and immune system. I don't know how true this is as i've not been strong enough to totally eliminate gluten 100% but eat a lot less gluten foods than i used to. I find gluten products are used in pretty much all commercially made foods. I went to buy a can of crushed tomatoes, read the ingredients and was shocked to find it contained a wheat thickener. Since when did they start adding thickener to what is supposed to be 100% pure tomatoes????

In my readings i've found a lot of information about thyroid receptor locations within the body. One of them is in the stomach. So it's safe to say if you have a thyroid problem, the thyroid receptor sites could be causing problems to. I think other receptor sites are at the liver and ovaries and there is one more i think, but can't recall just now.

My doctor has me on prescription digestive enzymes for my pancreas and also betaine hydrochloride to help with stomach acid. I'm also blood type A which apparently lacks stomach acid, causing problems in digesting protein, particularly meat. The blood type A issue i was told about by a lady i know who works in a healthfood store and i've read about it too. Once again, i'm not sure how true this is.

So all in all, thyroid issues would lead to digestive issues which in turn leads to malabsorption of nutrients.

Closed Thread