It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2009, 08:20 AM   #1
(female)

rockrat71 HB User
TSH of 99...scared...just had baby 6 months ago...Hashi's?

Hello! I'm desperately looking for advice and for ANYONE with a similar story to mine as I am so scared.

i just had a baby 6 months ago after trying to conceive for 6 years. my thyroid was tested 6 years ago and was fine. Right after I had my daughter I felt great, i had energy, I lost 35 lbs, skin and hair were great. I was so happy.

About 3 months postpartum i started feeling terrible...so tired I could barely function, sore muscles, depressed, hair loss, no libido, and a weird skin rash. I chalked everything up to being a new mom at 37, but the skin rash persisted. I went to a dermatologist who did a biopsy which came back saying there was something in my skin that indicated systemic illness such as thyroid disease. She ordered blood work for me which came back crazy. TSH: 99, T4: 1.6, Free Thyroxine Index: 0.4, T3: 42, T3 uptake: 27. She said you have no thyroid function at all...I don't know how you are standing here in front of me and you need to see an endo immediately. Scared me to death!

I saw the endo last week who felt my thyroid and said it felt firm and enlarged and also he felt some nodules. He drew his own labs including an antibody test and sent me for an ultrasound. I go back to see him on Friday to review labs and u/s and how I'm doing on the meds. I'm on 1/2 of a 112mg Levoxyl until I go back and see him and then he said he'd increase my dose.

Anyone else get diagnosed with Hashi after giving birth? I hope this is Hashi and not something more sinister. I'm so scared of what my results of muy u/s will be. I'm sitting here reading horror stories on the web and going out of my mind.

Thanks for your replies!

Last edited by rockrat71; 08-12-2009 at 09:05 AM. Reason: updated lab results

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2009, 08:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: TSH of 99...scared...just had baby 6 months ago...Hashi's?

You most likely have Hashimoto's and I'm pretty sure your antibody tests will confirm it. Try not to be scared, there are millions out there with exactly the same thing.

You really need to spend as much time as you can get away from your little one researching about this disease and how to manage it. I'm sure your endo will order the appropriate scans and, if needed, biopsies of your thyroid to rule out anything more serious. Even if you do have cancer (which is very unlikely) thyroid cancer is very slow growing and the easiest to treat. But you aren't there yet by any means and chances are good you won't be.
* Disallowed website and related information removed by hb-mod, moderator * You really should check your adrenal function as well since your thyroid is in such bad shape.

Hanginthere, read up on posts here and elsewhere and learn all you can about this. Knowledge is power and you need to empower yourself big-time to deal with this.

Last edited by hb-mod; 08-23-2009 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Please don't post disallowed websites as per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:41 AM   #3
(female)

Oppida HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockrat71 View Post
Hello! I'm desperately looking for advice and for ANYONE with a similar story to mine as I am so scared.

i just had a baby 6 months ago after trying to conceive for 6 years. my thyroid was tested 6 years ago and was fine. Right after I had my daughter I felt great, i had energy, I lost 35 lbs, skin and hair were great. I was so happy.

About 3 months postpartum i started feeling terrible...so tired I could barely function, sore muscles, depressed, hair loss, no libido, and a weird skin rash. I chalked everything up to being a new mom at 37, but the skin rash persisted. I went to a dermatologist who did a biopsy which came back saying there was something in my skin that indicated systemic illness such as thyroid disease. She ordered blood work for me which came back crazy. TSH: 99, T4: 1.6, Free Thyroxine Index: 0.4, T3: 42, T3 uptake: 27. She said you have no thyroid function at all...I don't know how you are standing here in front of me and you need to see an endo immediately. Scared me to death!

I saw the endo last week who felt my thyroid and said it felt firm and enlarged and also he felt some nodules. He drew his own labs including an antibody test and sent me for an ultrasound. I go back to see him on Friday to review labs and u/s and how I'm doing on the meds. I'm on 1/2 of a 112mg Levoxyl until I go back and see him and then he said he'd increase my dose.

Anyone else get diagnosed with Hashi after giving birth? I hope this is Hashi and not something more sinister. I'm so scared of what my results of muy u/s will be. I'm sitting here reading horror stories on the web and going out of my mind.

Thanks for your replies!
Oh hun! Your story is EXACTLY the same as mine! I had my second baby a year ago and I felt like a million bucks- I had so much energy I was losing weight, etc. (little did I kniow that I was probably pretty hyperthyroid). Then around 5 months, all hell broke loose. I was so tired, constipated (for 2 months!!!), totally brain fogged, no memory, emotional and as bloated as a marshmellow.

I went to the doc and she said I had a TSH of over 150 and they wanted to re-test. She did and it was 133! I'm on 150 mcg of Levoxyl, but am having a hard time with my meds and am seeking out a decissated thyroid medication to see if it works better.

It's VERY VERY common for an auto-immune disease to show up after having a baby. Especially Hashi's.

* Disallowed website and related information removed by hb-mod, moderator * The key thing here is that you have an auto-immune condition, not a thyroid condition. So you really need to treat the auto-immune part to prevent/slow down the destruction of your thyroid. That is where a natrupath or accupuncturist could really help. There are many supplements that help like Selenium and Vitamin D...You might look into getting your adrenals tested, as it is very possible they are fatigued due to having a new baby in addition to your thyroid condition.

Look into being gluten free as well, being gluten intolerant is a common auto-immune disease linked with Hashi's.

I'll be happy to share anything more I have learned, just ask! There is just so much! And I'm learning more everyday about it all.

Last edited by hb-mod; 08-23-2009 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Please don't post disallowed websites as per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:47 AM   #4
(female)

Oppida HB User

I forgot to mention that I bet you are in the middle of a swing- that is why your TSH is so high. Don't be scared by the number, it's complicated, but TSH is not a very accurate way to look at the functioning of your thyroid. The high TSH is your pititary gland FREAKING out, screaming at your thyroid to produce more and it can't because it's being attacked. When the attack stops you might have TONS of thyroid hormones in your body, so your TSH will be super Low, as the pituitary gland will be really quiet because there is so much.

What happens is that your body will attack your thyroid and you will go hypo- having all the exaustion,weight gain, etc. (or however it manifests for you) then after the attack you might go hyper, when the thyroid dumps a ton of the hormones into your body becuase it is dying off. These are the swings of Hashimotos.

I think our TSH levels were so high because they took your blood when you were in the middle of an attack. It's a snapshot, these bloodtests- they don't show the whole picture. Especially TSH.

The key is looking at your Free T3 and Free t4. That is what thyroid hormones are available in your body.. a better picture.

High numbers like that are scary! my doc said the same thing, but they don't understand the nature of HAshi swings very well, I think.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:11 AM   #5
(female)

rockrat71 HB User

Thank you both so much for your responses. * Disallowed website and related information removed by hb-mod, moderator *
My dr. appt. is tomorrow and I'm very nervous. Do either of you have nodules on your thyroid as well? That is freaking me out the most right now.

Last edited by hb-mod; 08-23-2009 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Please don't post disallowed websites as per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:40 PM   #6
(female)

Oppida HB User

I'm not sure yet- I do have a goiter and have an appointment for a sonogram. I have read that nodules and goiter are totally normal for thyroid issues and only a small % lead to cancer (if that is what is worrying you!) How did your appointment go?

Last edited by hb-mod; 08-23-2009 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Removed Quote.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:20 PM   #7
(female)

nymi06 HB User

Thank you Mcaimles, i just read her post and was going to recommend that site to her, it changed my life for the better 3 years ago! Thank you again, great to see more folks are catching on!!

Old 08-18-2009, 06:45 PM   #8
(female)

rockrat71 HB User

My appt went pretty well. U/S results were okay...nothing scary, thank goodness. That really alleviated some of the mental anxiety I was feeling and is allowing me to focus more on what I do have (he called it autoimmune hypothyroiditis triggered by pregnancy) and how I can get well.

TSH had dropped down to 67 and he upped my dosage from 50mg to 125mg Levoxyl and took some more blood. The day after taking the 125mg though I started getting hot flashes and sweats and racing heart. I called them and they said perhaps we had gone too high too soon on the Levoxyl and to take 1/2 a pill each day and come back in on Friday. They also told me my latest bloods...the TSH has come down to 22 and T4 was 1.6. They said to give it a little bit more time and then we'll run the complete thyroid panel again and see where we are.

I'm encouraged though that I'm responding even though I have a long way to go. I still feel pretty lousy but I have some moments where I feel a bit better and little less brain dead.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:26 PM   #9
(female)

nymi06 HB User

Sounds like you have adrenal issues, the sweating and racing heart indicate so as i have gone through the same thing, turns out i am almost Cortisol deficient (according to saliva tests i had last october) Without sufficient Cortisol, thyroid meds (Synthroid or Armour, and/or their generic equivalents) cannot get to the cells, so they end up in your bloodstream and causing you to have hyper symptoms, also your labs will say so too.

Closed Thread