It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2009, 10:45 AM   #1
(female)

lderaimo HB User
Cool What is normal TSH?

I had a total thyroidectomy in 2002. I'm currently on 88 mcg. of levoxyl. I just had TSH checked and was told it was 4.99. Is that normal? The doctor said it was. It seems like the normal range for TSH is a wide one (.5 - 6).

I have a lot of muscle weakness/aches/pains, especially in my legs and back. Also, I'm extremely tired and have a hard time working an 8 hr. day. My profession is Administrative Assistant/Office Manager. I take dosage of 2500 of B12 every day and take Vitamin D, Magnesium and Calcium. I also have anxiety and panic attacks. I'm under a lot of stress now because I've been laid off since February. I'm worried about finances like everyone else.

Is there any other kind of medication or vitamins that would help with muscle weakness, pain and low energy? Should I have adrenals checked?

Thank you.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:16 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
Re: What is normal TSH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lderaimo View Post
I'm currently on 88 mcg. of levoxyl. I just had TSH checked and was told it was 4.99. Is that normal?
No. It should be under 2, probably close to 1 (or even lower). Is your doc going by TSH only? You should always have at least FT4 and preferably FT3 checked too - TSH does not give show you the whole truth (but in this case it and your symptoms show that you definately need a med increase). Have you had your Vit D levels checked? What's your dose on that? Vit D deficiency caused me great deal of fatigue, muscle weakness etc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2009, 01:33 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

TSH of 4.99 is almost never "normal". Your MD is an idiot if he thinks so.

If the reason for your thyroidectomy was cancer, your TSH should be suppressed to the bottom of its lab range in order to prevent recurrence. (Please... Tell me you didn't have thyroid cancer so I can sleep tonight knowing you're in this dolt's care.

The primary thing you should be looking at now is a thyroid dose increase. Nothing else you do will have the impact on your symptoms as that.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:31 AM   #4
(female)

lderaimo HB User

I did not have thyroid cancer. I had nodules on both sides and they were obstructing windpipe. I've gone to Endo and regular primary care physician. Neither care about T3 or T4. All they care about is TSH, even though I'm having fatigue and muscle aches & pain. Having anxiety, panic attacks also.

Lori

Old 08-14-2009, 01:37 AM   #5
(female)

lderaimo HB User

I've gone to Endo and regular primary care physician. Neither care about T3 or T4. All they care about is TSH, even though I'm having fatigue and muscle aches & pain. Having anxiety, panic attacks also. Usually my TSH is 1. something. This 4.99 is the highest it's ever been. Don't understand because an Endo should know what he's doing.

Never had Vitamin D checked. I do take Vitamin D though - about 400 dosage.

I've been thinking about getting Adrenal checked also because of fatigue. I'm laid off and don't have health insurance, so I have to pay for any medical up front.

Thanks for your help.

Lori

Old 08-14-2009, 08:04 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Good grief Somehow you need to increase the Levoxyl dose - maybe up to 112 or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lderaimo View Post
Never had Vitamin D checked. I do take Vitamin D though - about 400 dosage.
If that's IU it's a small dose - it's 10 mcgs if I remember correctly - and if you're Vit D deficient that won't be enough to fill the storages. It would be best to have it checked if possible.

Closed Thread