It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2009, 04:59 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User
Should antibodies be re-tested?

I had most of the normal tests such as the antibodies for both Hashi and Graves (TSI), TSH, and Free T3 and T4. I have positive antibodies for both Hashi and Graves and my TSH is 6.4.

I am seeing my doctor next week, I assume to talk about treatment, I am pushing for natural dessicated, and I was wondering if there is any reason for antibodies to be re-tested? I am unsure. Any other tests for ask for?

Old 08-13-2009, 07:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Should antibodies be re-tested?

I have had my antibodies retested many times. My MDs wanted to make sure that treatment of my thyroid hormone levels was resulting in a suppression of the Antibody levels. The Hashimoto's antibodies decreased as a result of taking a T4 supplement. My thyroid nodule also decreased in size. My MD tested my antibody levels every 3 months for the first year and now just checks them yearly. I did however had an additional round of testing this year because I got pregnant. The MDs wanted to know how high my levels were with regards to my pregnancy.

Now in your case, I would ask you to ask yourself some questions:

When was the last time you had your antibodies checked?

How high were your antibody levels?

If your levels were in the high hundreds or over a thousands, I would recommend periodic retesting. At least every six months/year. If your levels were just ion positive range or the low hundreds you probably are safe with just testing yearly or in periods of extreme thyroid hormone flux.

As to natural thyroid supplementation and any T3 containing supplements, make sure that you need the T3 supplementation. If you do not then it is the quickest means to drive you hyperthyroid.

ALWAYS ask for the Ft3 and Ft4 tests. If you have lower T3 levels than T4 levels ask for the RT3 testing panel. Depending on symptoms adrenal testing maybe warranted as well. It is always a mixed bag, but if your thyroid levels are of the highest concern you need to get the FTs done and RT3 series if needed.

MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2009, 04:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
Re: Should antibodies be re-tested?

MG has made some excellent points in her post and congratulations MG on becoming a mum again

I'm no expert so can only say what my own doctor has been doing for me. I only began meds in May 2008. I've been a very difficult case for my doctor. He began by retesting me every 6 weeks and that's what we're still doing. I've had some set backs due to a couple of stressful situations along the way and each time it's set all my figures into turmoil. I've realised that stress, even minor ongoing stress, worry, anxiety, has a very bad effect on my health, more than i'd ever realised before. So i'd say stress is my biggest trigger and likely has been all along.

My antibodies are very high so they get tested every 6 weeks for now and he also rechecks my TSH, FT4, FT3, Cortisol, Ferritin, Vitamin D and sometimes does the Reverse T3 and i think ACTH. These tests are done as a blood test each time.

As my estrogen is in excess, he also retests that a few times per year to see whether we are getting it under control or not. Twice a year he'll recheck my iodine absorption rate as i'm supplementing iodine too. Once a year he'll get me to do a stool analysis test to check for my absorption and digestion of certain things as he discovered my pancreas wasn't producing sufficient enzymes to digest protein foods. He's done a liver detox test once to see how that is working due to poor liver detox being a contributing factor to excess estrogen being stored in the body. Twice now i've done the saliva cortisol test to see how my cortisol levels decline throughout the day (samples from 6am,12noon, 6pm,10pm). I've also done twice a total hormone saliva panel test to check ALL hormones as my testosterone was high too plus low progesterone, but now that my thyroid hormones and cortisol are better the testosterone has self corrected.

I think that's it for the tests i do regularly or have done. Not all doctors will do that though, but my doctor has Hashimoto's himself and he's involved in studies into Hashimoto's too, which is a good thing for me, but still i wasn't prepared for how long it takes to correct everything which was affected by Hashimoto's and all the testing involved.

My tip would be, definitely keep tabs on your full thyroid panel, plus your ferritin, Vitamin D, B12 and your cortisol levels.

Closed Thread