It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2009, 09:49 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User
Is Flax oil bad for hypo and Hashi's?

I can't take fish oil, I'm very sensitive to iodine (if I eat any seafood other than salmon or tilapia I get extremely fatigued and feel horrible), so someone suggested flax oil. I've read conflicting things about flax oil and flax seeds but I didn't know how bad or if it was bad at all. I need to take some type of omega-3 though and since I can't take fish oil, I thought I'd try this. Has anyone had any bad experiences taking flax oil?

Old 08-15-2009, 11:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User
Re: Is Flax oil bad for hypo and Hashi's?

The Flax seed oil I take everyday is just plain old flax seed oil. It does not contain any iodine. Hemp seed oil would be another possibility for you. I take both and rotate them Flax one day and Hemp the other. I could be wrong but if you take the plain raw seeds I think you have to crush them or do something to them before you take them.

Have you ever been tested for fish allergy? I can eat most seafood ,all shellfish, regular fish but am horribly allergic to Calamari, Octopus and Cuttlefish......they are all in the same family so I steer clear.

Good luck..........Oleander

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2009, 11:56 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Forgot to tell you I do have Hashi's, a multinodular goiter and am on 4 Grains daily of Armour. I also have Celiac disease and a dairy allergy.......I feel the Flax has been good for me.....no problems and I have been on it 5 months.

Oleander

Old 08-15-2009, 12:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User

Thanks, that's good to know.

No, I'm not allergic to seafood, I just think that since my thyroid levels have plummeted recently and I'm sure my antibodies have gone up, the littlest bit of extra iodine is bothering me.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:59 AM   #5
(female)

katolb90 HB User

I've read more things that said flax seed and flax seed oil are good for thyroid rather than bad. The negative things that I read were about flax seed not the oil. It does scare me though. Is the seed bad for the thyroid or not? It is supposed to be bad because it is a phytoestrogen. Phytoestrogens are supposed to be endocrine disrupters. I've also seen something that said the phytoestrogens were bad only if you are iodine deficient. Who knows the real truth.

Last edited by katolb90; 08-18-2009 at 08:00 AM.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:25 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

I am very leery of phytoestrogens and am avoiding soy and flax products as much as possible.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:46 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User

If flax oil really is bad, and I can't take fish oil, what else can I take for omega-3's? So far the flax oil hasn't caused any immediate reaction. I haven't felt bad like I did right after taking the fish oil.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:26 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

If you're not allergic to shellfish you could try Krill oil. Krill is lowest on the food chain so you wouldn't have the possibility of mercury as is present in many other types of fish; also, no fishy aftertaste or burps.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:28 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User

I'm not allergic to shellfish, but I'm very sensitive to iodine. It's the iodine in the fish oil that bothers me.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:25 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User

I'm curious too. From what I've been reading this week, it seems only the flax seeds are bad, not the oil.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:13 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

The most common ones i've heard of are flax and evening primrose oil, but both are considered to have estrogenic qualities. I've been told to go with either borage or black currant oils as these aren't estrogenic and have the highest levels of GLA's.

I have hashimoto's and i have excess estrogen. I too am "attempting" to keep as many estrogens out of my diet eg: soy is a BIG one.

The problem appears to be that areas such as uterus, breasts and thyroid are organs which have sensitive estrogen receptors.

According to the experts, phytoestrogens have been shown to inhibit conversion of T4 to active T3 and this then triggers hypothyroidism.

So many things we eat, drink, use appears to have a negative affect on our hormones. The cleaners we use in our homes, pollution outdoors, the things put in processed foods as companies try to cut corners and manufacture things cheaply, hormones fed to animals..... it's never ending. I rarely by processed foods, bread would be the main one, but they ALL appear to use soy. I used to buy flax oil to put on salads as an alternate to extra virgin olive oil, but then i stopped once i heard that it was estrogenic. I sometimes buy walnut oil and avocado oil just to vary my salad dressing oils.

I'm as confused as everybody else. I know a little flax likely wouldn't hurt, but it's all the other estrogenic things in other foods eg: bread, cakes, biscuits, sauces, gravies etc etc then if i go adding more i keep thinking i'll make things worse. As it is my monthly cycles are a mess and i have excess estrogen. I'm on naturopathic herbs and they have fixed things, but i'd ideally like to get off the herbs one day.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:17 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I don't have the article. I normally do bookmark interesting sites, but i also keep an exercise book for little tid bits of info and i write them in for easy reference.

I keep hearing differing opinions on flaxseeds/oil. I don't understand how the oil itself couldn't be estrogenic, yet the seeds are. I thought they simply crushed the seeds to obtain the oil. It's kind of like saying that olive oil is good, but eating the actual olive could cause X,Y,Z.....

The only thing i can think of is that in moderation it's likely ok, just like a little soy likely wont impact too much, but consuming an excess might be bad for some. Sorry i can't be of much help with this. I'm in the dark as much as you are

Closed Thread