It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2009, 04:35 PM   #1
(female)

anniev HB User
Do I need Thyroid medication?

Last year my TSH level was 2.6 and this year it is 5.4. My doctor wants to put me on L-Thyroxine and I am really afraid I will have alot of side effects.
Anyone out there on it and how bad are the side effects?
Thanks

Old 08-17-2009, 04:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: Do I need Thyroid medication?

See if you can get your free T3 and free T4 tested. It's likely with that TSH you are hypo but it's good to monitor with the free levels of hormones. Do you have symptoms?
* Disallowed website and related information removed by hb-mod, moderator * I've personally chosen to go with natural thyroid hormones for my treatment.

You really need to educate yourself extensively about this disorder and you are doing the right thing coming to this board and asking questions. We all have our opinions and advice and you can read up on posts here and get a lot of information. Welcome to the board!

Last edited by hb-mod; 08-23-2009 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Please don't post disallowed links as per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2009, 08:07 PM   #3
(female)

anniev HB User

Thanks for the info.
What kind of natural Thyroid hormones are you on and are they a prescription? I would like to try the natural ones but have no idea where to get them. I don't like taking medications if I can find something else that would work.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:02 PM   #4
(female)

thyroida HB User

I strongly suggest staying off thyroid meds unless it's necessary. I was on levothyroxine for about a year and lost 50% of my hair, which doesn't appear o be growing back. You may want to look into natural ways- including diet and exercise- to improve your thyroid function.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:09 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

Thyroida, you may feel going off thyroid meds is a good idea for yourself but if someone is hypothyroid the health consequences can be dire. I've got plenty of them myself so I know. I wish you luck if you wish to stay off them but I strongly suggest you keep a good eye on your free T3 and free T4 levels to make sure you aren't setting yourself up for some very serious health issues down the road. Your hair loss could have been because you weren't adequately treated with the right medication. It's a very slow process getting things into balance and some lose hair because they just aren't there yet. But I've yet to hear from any who didn't grow back their hair once they were optimized with their hormone levels.

* Disallowed website and related information removed by hb-mod, moderator * I much prefer natural thyroid hormones over the synthetics because they contain the full compliment of hormones our own thyroids produce, not just a single storage hormone T4, as is in the synthetic most often prescribed. The best NTH on the market is called Nature-throid and it does require a prescription. It can be challanging to find a doctor to prescribe and most are convinced by the big pharmaceutical industry that synthetics are the only way to go, but they are out there. Post on this forum and the other NTH forums to find one in your area. Once you find a good doc (and it doesn't have to be an endo, in fact most of us here have had very bad luck with endos as you will see if you read up on posts) have him or her order the right tests for you, Free T3, Free T4 and the antibody tests; TPO-Ab and TG-Ab. If your symptoms point towards adrenal fatigue or you can't tolerate your thyroid hormones you will need to check your adrenals with a saliva cortisol test as well. And many of us are deficient in vitamins and minerals so check your D and B12 levels as well as ferritin.

Unfortunately this isn't something very simple that taking a single pill is going to fix if you are hypo. It's a slow process to get your levels up to where they need to be and you have to carefully monitor your bloodwork and symptoms to stay in good health. But, as I mentioned before, the consequences of low thyroid are very serious and this is something that shouldn't be ignored. Good luck to you and keep asking questions!

Last edited by hb-mod; 08-23-2009 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Please don't post disallowed websites as per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:12 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

I take a ton of Armour 4 Grains and was taking Cytomel. I am fortunate to never had any side effects. My hair was never effected by the Armour. I thought the Cytomel thinned my hair some but really it was just a bad haircut !!! I have been on medication for 3 years........

I tried all the diets, herbs, supplements, natural healthfood store type supplements, read every book, tried everything to correct my low thyroid before going on meds.

Good luck,

Oleander

Closed Thread