It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2009, 07:43 PM   #1
(female)

Slim1984 HB User
Do free clinics help with thyroid issues?

I can't afford to see an Endo.

I'm looking at info on free clinics, but it seems like regular checkups, and dental stuff.

Is there anywhere cheap I can get the tests I need to verify whether or not I'm Hyper-T? I have zero insurance, and probably cannot afford a regular Endo.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by moderator2; 08-16-2009 at 08:12 PM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s) - please read the posting rules

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2009, 06:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Do free clinics help with thyroid issues?

I don't know much about them, but tsh and sometimes free t4 thyroid tests are part of the usual blood screening, part of normal check ups, so I think it's a great way to start.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2009, 06:17 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

I would go in there armed with a list of your symptoms and the tests you'd like them to run and see what happens. It won't cost you anything to find out!

Old 08-17-2009, 09:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I think it's likely that about the only testing you'll get at a free clinic is a TSH test. Unless that result is completely out of range, it's unlikely they would provide any treatment. They wouldn't be the first place I'd think would pick up on all the nuances of thyroid disease. But as McA says, it certainly won't hurt to ask.

I just read your conversation with accessn12 (Helen) regarding your previous labs. She said she thinks you probably aren't hyper but have a thyroid binding protein quirk that's probably harmless. I tend to agree that you probably aren't hyperT.

There are online labs where you can self order blood tests for thyroid. A very popular and reliable lab that performs self ordered blood tests charges about $85 the Thyroid Panel II which includes TSH, free T4, and free T3. If you only want to verify that you're within range, this is an affordable way to do it. Several states ban the use of these labs though - NY, NJ, and RI - there may be others. So that may not be an option for you.

I think I'd have a frank conversation with your general practice doc. Just tell him you don't think you can swing the cost of an initial visit to an endo plus tests. Unless you're having significant symptoms - based on the tests you already reported here, he might agree that it will be ok to just retest periodically to keep an eye on things.

Closed Thread