It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2009, 10:13 PM   #1
(male)

kee4u HB User
Medication

I hope you can help me. I'm a 49 year old male. I have hypothyroidism diagnosed in 2000 after my surgery.The problem i have is that my doctor has changed my medication in the past 16 months 5 times. starting with 150mg in April 2008, 175mg in Oct 2008, 75mg in Jan 2009, 100mg in April 2009 and the last is 125mg just this month. I"m wondering if all this changing of medicines is normal. I reallize that it takes time to adjust the meds but does it take all this time?

A little footnote. I just been diagnosed being borderline diabetic my A1C came back to 6.8 and my liver count is high

Can anyone help me understand this. Thanks

Old 08-17-2009, 04:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: Medication

It sounds like your doc is treating you based on your TSH numbers. How have your symptoms been during all this? Do you feel better on any one of these dosages? Have you had a free T3 and free T4 run to see where you actually are at with thyroid hormones?

If you have any labs to share please do so with the ranges. But the most useful ones will be the Free T3 and Free T4. Also have you had your antibodies tested (do you still have your thyroid?). If you have autoimmune thyroiditis you can have big fluctuations in your TSH.

Generally we like to see you treated based on your free T hormone levels and your symptoms. If you are still hypo you need more hormones, no matter how low your TSH is falling. Your free T numbers need to be in the top third of range generally to get the hypo symptoms under control and for many of us this can mean a very suppressed TSH, often below 1.

Hope this helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2009, 12:57 AM   #3
(male)

kee4u HB User

Thank you mcaimless. To answer your questions I don't feel any differance when he changes my meds that i can notice.
I remember seeing on my lab slip that he order TSH test and I don't know if it was "free" 3T and 4T test or if it was 3T and 4T test. And he didn't tell me what the numbers were.
I have notice that my hair doesn't fall out anymore but my skin is so dry It's like sandpaper Ooch!

P.S. I can tell you that my TSH Blood Test on 4-20-09 was 6.18 Thats when he put me on 100mg Levothyroxine and now i'm on 125mg Levothyroxine.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:14 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

It sounds like you still have some symptoms. I'd ask for your last labs and see what they say. You can get a copy from your doctor. The TSH was definitely high before the Levo but I imagine it's come down by now.

Closed Thread