It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2009, 10:30 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User
Question Heart Aches, Upcoming Endo Appt.

I have antibodies for both Hashi's and Graves. My symptoms are primarily hyper, while my labs are beginning to show hypo. My TSH last month was 6.4
I am currently not treated nor have I ever been treated, but I see my endo later this week, I assume to talk about treatment.

I have heart aches associated with my hyperthyroidism. I have read some patients have a mitral valve prolapse. Does anyone have any experience with heart aches and seeing their endo? I want to be prepared ahead of time to address this with my doctor. Is there anything that she should look into because of the heart aches?

Old 08-17-2009, 04:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: Heart Aches, Upcoming Endo Appt.

Chest pain is a common feature of thyroid disease but you always need to get any cardiac issues ruled out as well. Have you had a recent EKG and other tests, such as echocardiogram (which will see if you have mitral valve prolapse-- MVP) and stress test? How is your cholesterol level? Cholesterol tends to be high with untreated thyroid disease.

I have MVP as well but do not really think it has anything to do with my thyroid disease. I tend to have many palpatations but only rarely chest pain, which I think is more from my fibromyalgia than thyroid. I did have some EKG changes when I became very sick from this three years ago but my full cardiac workup did not reveal any heart issues.

Last edited by javelina; 08-17-2009 at 04:40 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2009, 07:17 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks, I appreciate your time. I have tell the doctor to look into it. My experience is more of a dull (sometimes more than that) pain of my heart that is constant. It may go away for a week or so before returning for a week or two.

I never had any heath issues until Feb. when my thyroid problems began. I am 26 and 5'2" and 108-110 pounds. If anything, my blood pressure had been on the lower end and never high cholesterol. (Had it checked a year ago.)

From what I understand, when the thyroid released too much hormone while hyper, it stimulates the heart. I assume that is probably what is causing the aches and pain of the heart, but I wanted to make sure. Thanks for your time!

Old 08-17-2009, 04:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User

Hey Alexa!
You are my height and weight(although went up to about 113 cause I am a little hypo) I'm a few years older though..LOL! Anyway, you say your tsh is 6, how are your frees? If they are low and you are hypo, this can cause chest pain or tightness. I've heard others say it. I have both antibodies too with a diagnosis of Graves in '06. I go hypo on a small dose of methimazole. Just make sure you have your list of questions and concerns and bring them with you.Don't be surprised if they say it has nothing to do with thyroid disease. Many have said that too, but just tell them you've read about far too many having these symptoms,that kind of works. We all can't be crazy!

Last edited by GravesGirl73; 08-17-2009 at 04:33 PM.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:53 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

She only tests my TSH every four weeks. My Free T3 and T4 was only tested once a few months ago. They were within "normal" range, I would have to look up the actual numbers on copy.

Now I have kidney pain that started yesterday either due to a kidney autoimmune disease, parathyroids, or untreated so adrenals overwork!

Old 08-18-2009, 11:09 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

That's the problem, without knowing the frees, you don't know where you're at. They should be tested every 2 months at least. Get your latest ones and see where you are in the ranges. A doctor going by tsh only with autoimmune thyroid disease is foolish. The tsh is falsely lowered by the antibodies, it shouldn't be used as much as looking at the actual thyroid hormone levels.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:52 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Okay, you have really helped. I "knew" she should be testing more than just my TSH, but now that I get to see her on Thursday, I am going to request that she regularly test the Free T's as well. I only saw her once many months ago and she just has my TSH tested every 4 weeks. I don't want to give up on her yet because the first time I was there, she listened to me. I have gained much more knowledge since then, so I am hoping to not have to go to doctor to doctor, I want to give her the chance to to test me properly, prescribe me to natural dessicated hormones I want, or I will walk.......

I will post later this week after my appt. how it goes and where I stand.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:08 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes, you certainly want a doctor you can work with. Give her another chance. Testing the free T's are standard practice with Graves and Hashi. If she refuses, she doesn't know what she's doing,find another doc and make sure you ask if they test the frees before you make an appointment.There's too many endos out there that just deal with diabetes and don't know too much about how to treat auto immune thyroid disease.It's too bad,I mean they have docs who specialize in other diseases, right? I tried to find a doc who specialized in this but only found allergists or rheumatologists. Thankfully I went on the board where they rate top docs and you can look them up in your area. I read good reviews about my endo and had a couple of family members who really liked her. She is kind and understanding and seems to know about the auto immunity part. Thank God I dumped my old endo, he was pompous and condescending.Good luck to you Alexa! let us know what happens.

Closed Thread