It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2009, 10:57 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB User
Churning sensation in chest

I seem to be so sensitive to things that can improve thyroid function, such as selenium pills and brazil nuts, which are loaded with selenium. I don't normally take selenium pills because I become hyperthyroid too easily, so I started just eating 2 brazil nuts a day, which is supposed to give me a full days supply of magnesium and selenium. Now today I have this creepy churning sensation in my chest. No pain, no hunger, bp and heart rate are fine, I just have an uneasiness and churning. Anxiety maybe, but I wonder if it's from maybe being abit hyperthyroid from eating brazil nuts every day. I'll probably skip my synthroid in the morning. Sure wish I could self-test my tsh here at home like we do our blood sugar. Anybody else here ever go hyperthyroid really easy and/or feel a churning sensation in their chest area? It really is bugging me...

Last edited by ssMarilyn; 08-16-2009 at 10:58 PM.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: Churning sensation in chest

I think it would be far better if we could check our free T3 and free T4 at home, it's a much more reliable indicator of what our actual levels of hormones are in our blood. Right now we have to go by our symptoms instead.

Have you checked your free T levels recently? Is it possible these are palpatations you are feeling?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2009, 11:34 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB User

No, heart is fine. I'm always super aware of anything that is out of the norm. I had my TSH checked 3 months ago and it was almost 3.0, right at the top, and then had it checked again last week and it's .93, almost perfect for most women. I dont' know...maybe that churning sensation had something to do with perimenopause.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:02 PM   #4
(female)

Kendra01 HB UserKendra01 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssMarilyn View Post
No, heart is fine. I'm always super aware of anything that is out of the norm. I had my TSH checked 3 months ago and it was almost 3.0, right at the top, and then had it checked again last week and it's .93, almost perfect for most women. I dont' know...maybe that churning sensation had something to do with perimenopause.
Did you ever find out what caused the churning sensation? I have developed the same thing. I am hypothyroid and take Levothyoxine. I'm scheduled to see a cardiologist tomorrow. May be overkill, but I want to start a workout program and don't feel comfortable doing it with this going on.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:54 PM   #5
(female)

GrannyApples HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendra01 View Post
Did you ever find out what caused the churning sensation? I have developed the same thing. I am hypothyroid and take Levothyoxine. I'm scheduled to see a cardiologist tomorrow. May be overkill, but I want to start a workout program and don't feel comfortable doing it with this going on.
I get that feeling sometimes, also. More on my left side . It feels like a growling of your stomach when you are hungry, although I am not hungry.
It just started doing that after I began taking levrothyoxine. I hope it just a side effect until my body comes adjusted to the meds,

Old 02-09-2011, 11:52 AM   #6
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyApples View Post
I get that feeling sometimes, also. More on my left side . It feels like a growling of your stomach when you are hungry, although I am not hungry.
It just started doing that after I began taking levrothyoxine. I hope it just a side effect until my body comes adjusted to the meds,

I have been on this med for a couple of years now. Lately, it's gotten more frequent. It usually starts first thing in the morning and only last for 20 minutes or so. I have had it once or twice at night when relaxing on the couch.

I went to the cardiologist today. He says that normally, blocked arteries present pain and shortness of breath upon exertion. That's not the case with me, so I am having a stress test in a couple of weeks. Better be safe since I have so many factors in favor of heart and coronary disease. I hope I have started on the meds for high cholestrol and high blood pressure early enough. I have been borderline high for a few years. I hope it's just a muscle spasm or something.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:05 PM   #7
(female)

GrannyApples HB User

Well, I hope all your test come out OK.
I really hope you start feeling well again.

I have a problem with tension.
I get so tight. Especially at night, I have a hard time relaxing my muscles.
This morning, I work up so tense.
Then, I started to get real jittery.
I took a shower and a xanax to calm me down.
I felt better after taking the shower.
Afterward, I ate a soft boiled egg.
I checked my BP and it was 116/82 pulse 82

I called the dr this morning about how I felt.
I am still waiting to for his call.
It felt like for while I was either going hyper, a panic attack or low blood sugar.

I had bought a supplement called Balance 3 a couple years ago. It is a herbal supplement that suppose to help you relax and help keep your blood pressure normal.
The expiration date on the bottle is 2012. So, I took one after lunch. I hope it helps me relax.
I hate being tense all the time and I don't want rely on xanax because I don't want to become addicted to it.

I know I happen been more worried since my lab report.
Reading all the things the thyroid disease can cause is scary!

Last edited by GrannyApples; 02-09-2011 at 12:09 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to GrannyApples:
Kendra01 (02-11-2011)
Old 02-11-2011, 10:43 AM   #8
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyApples View Post
Well, I hope all your test come out OK.
I really hope you start feeling well again.

I have a problem with tension.
I get so tight. Especially at night, I have a hard time relaxing my muscles.
This morning, I work up so tense.
Then, I started to get real jittery.
I took a shower and a xanax to calm me down.
I felt better after taking the shower.
Afterward, I ate a soft boiled egg.
I checked my BP and it was 116/82 pulse 82

I called the dr this morning about how I felt.
I am still waiting to for his call.
It felt like for while I was either going hyper, a panic attack or low blood sugar.

I had bought a supplement called Balance 3 a couple years ago. It is a herbal supplement that suppose to help you relax and help keep your blood pressure normal.
The expiration date on the bottle is 2012. So, I took one after lunch. I hope it helps me relax.
I hate being tense all the time and I don't want rely on xanax because I don't want to become addicted to it.

I know I happen been more worried since my lab report.
Reading all the things the thyroid disease can cause is scary!

Man, can I relate. I have the same problem too. I stay very anxious. Most of it is work related, but also involves some family issues (medical problems with parents and niece with very serious medical condition, plus I have had two frozen shoulders for the last year, although they are greatly improved with therapy).

I know that the stress and anxiety causes me some physical problems. I have a bottle of Xanax with a date of 2003! I don't know if they still work, but I feel better just knowing I have them. (I suffered panic attacks years ago, but haven't had one in years.) I took one so far this year. It did make my chest sensation stop, so it could be anxiety. I'm like you. I don't want to rely on meds for anxiety, because there are other options.

If it helps, I found a psychiatrist to see back in September of last year. I haven't seen him since Christmas. I think the sessions were helpful and I intend to return on a semi-regular basis. It's surprising the things you learn about yourself and what is really bothering you. I know there is still a stigma about going, but I don't care. I have to attend to my mental health the way I do my physical health. I think it was a good decision.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:10 PM   #9
(female)

GrannyApples HB User

Kendra01
I am so sorry to hear about all the stuff you went through and the stress you have now.
Wow! Two frozen shoulders.. You must of been in a lot of pain and frustration.

3 years ago, I did a couple of acupuncture sessions.
It really worked. It is expensive, though.
It was not painful at all. In fact, it was very relaxing.
Once, I had a bad sinus infection when I went for my session. The therapist put some needles on my nose. Now, those needles were slightly larger than the regular needles. I felt it and it was a little uncomfortable when she jab me. Then I did not feel it afterwards.
When I got in the car to go home. My sinus was clear. I was SO AMAZED!!!!

I watched a show last night about people who gets panic attacks. It was so sad to watch. I knew what they were going through. Those that never had one, can't imagine how it feels. I hate it when some people thinks we are faking it, because we want attention... Oh yeah ,... I sure can think of better ways of getting attention, if wanted it.

I hope you feel better soon.
Spring is almost here
It is my favorite time of the year to work outdoors.
I love landscaping and a love to decorate my yard.
Flowers makes me

I believe in miracles REALLY DO HAPPEN!
Don't give up!
Hugs to you!!!

Last edited by GrannyApples; 02-11-2011 at 02:13 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to GrannyApples For This Useful Post:
Kendra01 (02-16-2011)
Closed Thread