It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2009, 06:29 PM   #1
(female)

erikab2231 HB User
new here, seeking opinions

hello all, here's my story: i've thought i could be hypo for many years b/c i have many of the symptoms. several times i was told my tests were normal. most recent tests showed a TSH of 3.49. 1st endo said that was fine but i was still skeptical b/c i've gained 15 lbs. in the past year w/o any significant change in lifestyle. 2nd endo put me on 100mcgs of levo. it's been less than a week and i already have more energy, and my constipation is gone.

so my questions are...

1) do you think this is a good course of treatment? i know it's controversial to treat a TSH in this range
2) can i expect to lose weight on this med.? if so, how long do you think it will take?

thanks, i'm glad i found this board.

-erika

Old 08-19-2009, 06:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: new here, seeking opinions

If you can convince your doc to run a Free T3 and Free T4 test it would be a lot more conclusive than just a TSH to diagnose hypothyroidism. But given your symptoms and your response to the medication it's a pretty sure bet that you are hypo. Your TSH is on the high side, no matter what the ranges say.

There are two basic medications to treat hypo-T, one is the synthetic T4 you are currently taking, the other is with natural thyroid hormones, which come from pig thyroids (Armour, Nature-throid). I suggest you read up on these and make your own decision about your treatment. I chose the natural thyroid because I wish to replace my hormones with a full compliment of hormones that NTH has(T1, T2, T3, T4 and Calcitonin), which is what my own thyroid would produce if it were functioning properly. Not all doctors prescribe NTH however and it can be more challanging to find one who does. * Disallowed website link and related information removed by hb-mod, moderator *

But no matter what you use, be sure to get treated based on keeping your symptoms at bay and not based just on your TSH level. Often docs who only use TSH for diagnosis will stop increasing the meds if the TSH gets suppressed and this leaves a lot of people continuously hypo. It's far better to use the Free T3 and Free T4 levels to judge just how much hormones you have.

Be sure to read up on some posts here, they can answer a lot of your questions and give you a lot of good info.

Last edited by hb-mod; 08-23-2009 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Please don't post disallowed links as per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2009, 07:03 PM   #3
(female)

erikab2231 HB User

thanks for your post. i appreciate the time you put into it. i am just starting to get educated about this. the doc did do a 2nd test so i'm waiting to hear back about t3 & t4.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:49 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

Just make sure he ordered a Free T3 and Free T4. The free part is important. Also feel him out about natural thyroid hormones if you're interested in going that route. Post your results and ranges when you get them back.

Closed Thread