It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2009, 07:09 PM   #1
(female)

bittygirl HB User
Hypothyroidism and bleeding

I have been bleeding for a continual 40 days, it started with my last menstural cycle. It started out as spotting after I was done with my cycle then a few days later it was medium then a couple of weeks later it got heavy for a few days , then spot again now it stoped.

I just had a increase of Armour thyroid about a week ago. I think that made it stop.

I have had this before but not as bad as this time. My TSH was 1.94 when the bleeding started this time. Im thinking it is most likely my thyroid that is causing this bleeding because everytime it happens and I up the thyroid meds it stops.
Does anyone else have this sort of thing happen? Its kinda scary. Now I need to be checked for anemia again.
thanks

Old 08-19-2009, 07:30 PM   #2
(female)

mustlovecats HB User
Re: Hypothyroidism and bleeding

My thyroid messed up my period too, my bleeding was different before being diagnosed and medicated. I changed medication about a month ago and when I raise my dose my allergies stop too, so I think almost everything in your body is related to your thyroid being out of whack.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2009, 11:50 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

mustlovecats - i couldn't agree more, i simply can't believe just how many things are affected by our thyroids and adrenal function going off the rails.

I resorted to seeing a naturopath who put me on a herbal mix to help balance out my hormones. Now my periods are regular and much lighter and i'd call them normal.

I'm hoping once all my meds kick in and things get to where they are supposed to be that my hormones will also balance out.

A lot of doctors don't inform their thyroid patients of what can actually go wrong with thyroid issues. For period issues they simply send you to a gyno who then puts you on birth control or wants to do some invasive internal procedure or worse still tells you all that's left is a hysterectomy!! I consider myself lucky to have a found a good naturopath who has helped more than i can say.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:22 AM   #4
(female)

bittygirl HB User

thanks
yeah when I went to the gyno last time this happend she tried to put me on BCP. Like i need other hormones messing up the ones I already got. This doesnt make since to me.
thanks for the info.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

I started having dysfunctional uterine bleeding about 12 years ago and was put on BC as well. I stayed on it for over 10 years full-time to stop the debilitating periods that never seemed to end and left me anemic as well. Then I started having breakthrough bleeding even while on the BC and decided to have the hysterectomy. After the surgery my hypothyroidism kicked into high gear and it took two years to figure out this was the problem all along, thanks to my doctors relying on the TSH test alone for diagnosis.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:56 AM   #6
(female)

dannysmom HB User

I have been bleeding in between my cycles for about 8 years now. Over the last 3 months it has gotten worse. I will have my period for about 6-7 days and then a day or two with no bleeding and then I will bleed for about 21-25 days. The doc has always wanted to put me on BC and I have always refused. I have recently started cytomel and am hoping that with time this will correct the abnormal bleeding. My ND also has me on natural progesterone cream which I've been on for the last two cycles but it hasn't done anything to stop the bleeding.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:13 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Dannysmom - i've never use natural progesterone cream, but my doctor was going to put me on it if my estrogen didn't lower. I've been on a natural supplement called DIM and it appears to be working so far.

I've had a lot of help with my periods by using natural herbs which my naturopath puts together for me. I can't believe how great my cycles are being on these herbs. Now they are regular, light and a relief to be normal again.
Correcting cycles can take a while, even when on thyroid meds but i dont mind being on the herbs rather than having a hysterectomy and then worrying about osteoperosis much earlier in life and all the other things which can also occur. Even with a hysterectomy you need to keep a very careful eye on the hormones and what they are doing.

I'm fortunate my treating doctor deals with the lot from thyroid to hormones to digestive issues, adrenals, my low ferritin and Vitamin d and whatever else is going on.

Closed Thread