It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2009, 04:52 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Shortage of Natural Thyroid Hormones

It appears that, due to the increased demand for desiccated thyroid hormones, the supply has not been able to keep up. Both Armour and Nature-throid are reportedly backordered and this could go on for, what some are estimating, 90 days.

Whatever the reason, those of us who are depending on these meds are in a bit of a quandry. I've called the Walgreen's in my area and had them hold what Nature-throid they've got for me (but it's only 30 1 gr tablets). I will also look into ordering the Canadian Thyroid (Erfa Thyroid) online (which you can do without a prescription). But since the main issue is the supplier of all of north America being short of porcine thyroid powder, Canada will likely run short too until the supply can be increased to meet demand.

While I find this very inconvenient and may even be forced to ask for synthetic T3 and T4 until it's resolved, I am also very encouraged that so many are going back to this time-tested and excellent method of treatment, despite all the attempts by Big Pharma to trash it and even remove it as an option. So I guess I can make room for everyone and wait until the supply gets sorted out.

Last edited by moderator2; 08-20-2009 at 05:07 AM. Reason: posted disallowed website, copied from website - please read the posting rules

Old 08-20-2009, 07:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User
Re: Shortage of Natural Thyroid Hormones

Thats for the news. I am going in about an hour from now to see my endo and I am worried because I am asking for Nature-throid and I will walk if she refuses to prescribe natural dessicated hormones. Now, I am going to have to worry about the supply shortage! Yikes! I have been untreated since Feb. Wish me luck and a supply! Haha!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2009, 09:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Oh goshdarnit ... Something else to worry about. I'm off in search of a refill today. Think I better ask for a 90-day supply and just pay the cash price instead of using insurance and getting only 30 days' worth.

Thanks for the heads-up, McA.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

More scary news today is the "powers that be" are pushing for the FDA to remove NTH from the market until clinical trials are run to prove effecacy and safety. This for a medication that's been used safely for over 100 years (hence its grandfathered status with the FDA). Of course who is going to pay for these studies for a generic drug with no big profit motive is up for debate.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:15 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I've read about that rabble-rousing Sidney Wolfe and his campaign to ban T3. After seeing how the UK banned it, it's not a surprise. My only prayer is that Americans won't allow their liberty to be similarly stomped upon. That's not in our makeup, if history holds true.

I got my refill... no problem. The insurance price for 30 days is $11.50 (or so). Cash price for 90 days - $23.18. We don't need health reform. We need health insurance reform!!!

Old 08-21-2009, 02:54 PM   #6
(female)

Graves54 HB User

I take Natural thyroid called Thyroid S.Works great.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:47 AM   #7
(female)

vintageviolets HB User

The UK really banned T3? yikes, I can't believe that, midwest... sorry to jump in, just was so surprised to hear this... vv

Old 08-22-2009, 08:36 PM   #8
(female)

mustlovecats HB User

Graves54 do you get a prescription through your doctor to get the Thyroid S?
I just saw a pharmacy online that sells this stuff under "armour thyroid (generic) thyroid s", is this the one you are taking? can you elaborate please? thank you!!!

Old 08-23-2009, 11:02 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User

Go figure...I just got a new dr. and script for nature-throid. I've been thru the gammit of calling every pharmacy with no luck. Wal-greems sd they would have in it 2 days, NOT, they promised it would be in, saying they have a confirmation #...well, that was last wk. Finally got a compounded pharmacy in AZ to mail it out, my dr. has used this place in the past. I'm just worried about future refills?
Hopefully Armour will fix their issues and take some of the demand off n/throid?
If the FDA puts restraints on it, wouldn't that just push it to be an "over the counter" med? they wouldn't just stop making it? price may go up, but if it works, I'll pay a bit more.
Hysterectomy

Closed Thread