It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2009, 05:29 AM   #1
(female)

sudo59 HB User
This is just C R A Z Y ! ! !

I went in yesterday for the results of my thyroid ultrasound. The good news is that it is clear, thyroid looks absolutely normal. More good news, I tested negative for Hashimotos! Yeah, I'm doing the happy dance!!!

This is where it gets wierd. My Dr. looks at me and says, "I think maybe you never had a thryoid problem to begin with".... I said, "what?" He said, "I think you may have had a viral infection at the time of your first blood work and it was affecting your TSH".

Okay, I'm just not buying it.... have any of you ever heard of such a thing? I asked him then why it was that when I took the 125mcg of synthroid I lost weight and had more energy, he said it was because I didn't NEED the synthroid and it just threw me into hyper mode.

So, now he has me weening off of my 75mcg of synthroid and he will retest my TSH in 6 weeks. Oh, I also asked him about my Free T4 and Free T3 and he just looked at me and said those numbers don't mean anything, we just look at the TSH!

What else can cause hypo besides Hashi and thyroid nodules? Could it be related to menopause?

I'm soooooooooooooooooo confused!

Old 08-20-2009, 02:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User
Re: This is just C R A Z Y ! ! !

I don't know how much I can help, but Free T3 and T4 mean a lot regardless of what your doctor said. I believe thyroiditis is an infection that would effect the thyroid, maybe that is what you have/had? I have learned that you cannot solely rely upon a TSH.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2009, 09:08 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

It is possible to be temporarily hypothyroid. During major illnesses, it's the body's way of conserving energy for healing. Viral thyroiditis also can cause it. It frequently pops up during the postpartum period.

It concerns me that your MD doesn't test your free Ts. They absolutely do matter. He's only stabbing at the dark trying to judge anything by TSH alone and cannot say with any certainty that yours is temporary or permanent.

Nodules don't cause hypoT. (They sometimes cause hyperT, however.) Other causes of hypoT include, but aren't limited to: treatment for hyperT or thyroidectomy; pituitary tumors/disease; history of Epstein-Barr; aging; smoking or smoking cessation; lithium or amiodorone use; overconsumption of goitrogenic foods/soy; environmental exposures/toxins; radium treatments to head and neck; severe snakebite; neck trauma/whiplash; nuclear plant/perchlorate/toxic chemical exposures.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:00 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

Many clinicians (my husband included) believe that anyone and everyone will feel better if given supplimental T4 whether they are hypo or not. But I don't buy it. I think that if thyroid hormones make a significant difference and improvement in symptoms then this indicates you need them. If you were hyper you'd have all the unpleasant effects that go along with that. In your case the proof will be how you feel if you go off them (and I hope you do this very s l o w l y!).

Closed Thread