It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2009, 09:03 AM   #1
(female)

Markers HB User
No ovulation - and the timing was amazing

Alrighty, on to question #2.

This is the one I've been trying to trying to learn about so I can be prepared for my Dr. visit next week. Because of course, the month (like literally, the actual first month we try - fate is cruel) my husband and I start TTC (trying to conceive) my period magically stops coming and I'm diagnosed with Hypo - this was all last February. The period started again once I started meds, but I only had 2 between Feb - April, and none since.

I am on a low dose of Thyroid meds - .075 mg Synthyroid. The first time I got my levels checked after starting meds my new Dr. told me that I might be being "overtreated" at that dose. So, I'm assuming I was going into Hyper territory. She decided to wait 3 months and re-do bloodwork (although she only did TSH). At this second visit she said the TSH level looked fine. I didn't know to ask for the actually numbers then, but I will from now on. Anyhow, that's when I told her I haven't ovulated/menstruated since April (and no I'm not pregnant). I even had an ultrasound done because of another issue, and everything in there looks fine.

Q1. So, why no ovulation?? Are my levels maybe too high now? She mentioned something about it maybe being Prolactin. She got me to re-do all of my thyroid levels and prolcatin and I find out next week.

Another thing... I notice whenever I accidently skip pills (which isn't too often) my breasts get really sore! Last time it happened I decided to just stop the meds and see if the soreness meant that my cycle was kicking back in. Still nothing but sore boobs (and it's been almost a week....). I could be making this up in my head... but the very very sore boobs thing is strange (since I never really ever had them even around that time of the month before all this business started).

Anyone ever experience anything like this? Words of wisdom?

Note: Some of you will probably recomend to go to an Endo too... but I think wait times are really long... so I can wait and do that for sure, but I also wanted to know what I could try in the meantime.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2009, 11:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: No ovulation - and the timing was amazing

Hypothyroid patients whose MDs test and treat to TSH only are undertreated far more often than those whose MDs also watch their free T4/T3 levels. I suspect that's happening to you as well.

If you want to have a successful pregnancy, you need your MD to not only test your free T4, it must be at a level well within the upper third of its range. If your ovulation problem is related to thyroid deficiency - (and there's every reason to think it could be) - it won't improve until that level is high enough.

You should never assume you're going "into hyper territory" unless your free Ts are being monitored. You can't know it by symptoms, and you surely can't know it according to TSH alone. Only when the free Ts are both near the upper lab limit and you have hyper symptoms should it be assumed that your dose is causing you to be overmedicated and hyper.

I have heard of fluctuating thyroid levels causing breast pain, but I don't have firsthand experience with that.

My advice is not to assume you need an endo. Endos don't have any better track record at treating uncomplicated hypoT than any other MD. A family practice MD, DO, or OB can be better than almost any endo, as long as they understand the basics of treating according to the free T4/T3 and not just TSH. It doesn't sound to me as if yours does.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:01 PM   #3
(female)

b1791 HB User

I've had sore breasts since this thyroid thing started...especially up around my armpits. I thought I was the only one!

Beth

Old 08-20-2009, 07:06 PM   #4
(female)

Markers HB User

Thanks for the replies so far. It's very helpful to hear from others. I guess I probably jumped the gun with stopping my meds. I just want my cycles to get back to normal so we can start TTC again (I'm not anxious or anything about it at this stage... but it would be nice to be able to, if you know what i mean). Anyhow, thanks for your replies, because I really wanted to start me meds again - espeically today as I was walking around my house like a zombie with zero motivation (side note: I can't believe how icky I've felt this past week, funny how you feel so bad for so long and that you don't realize, until you get meds/treatment and realize how good other people feel - went un-treated for 2 years because an old doc at a school clinic mis-read my lab results. Imagine my superprise at how great I felt after I started meds. Mmm!).

Would love to hear any other feedback on this ovulation/menstruation issue.

Markers

Old 08-23-2009, 09:48 AM   #5
(female)

Markers HB User

Just a quick update incase anyone reads this in the future - I know I wrote a couple days ago that I was going to to re-start my meds... but guess what? IT started (Aunt Flo, my cycles... I'm not sure of a "nice" way to put it). This is kind of TMI (too much info) - but if any women have similar problems in the future I wanted them to know.

Mind you, I DO NOT support just stopping medications all willy nilly. For me, my decision to stop was based on the fact I was diagnosed 6 months ago and am still trying to find the correct levels, and because my Dr. said at a visit that maybe my levels were becoming too high. Not great to not wait for lab results, etc.. but I figured I obviously wasn't at the right dossage for me at the moment, so might as well see what happens (as well as the fact my body was giving me signals that going off the meds was doing something - with the sore breasts).

Closed Thread