It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2009, 09:40 AM   #1
(male)

Chucky89 HB User
What to do if family doc doesn't want to give me referral?

this is a new family doctor..i've seen him just twice..i discussed with him my problems about how i'm constantly hungry, i have unvoluntary gas problems, concentration, rashes, all that..he got me to submit a blood, urine and stool sample...results come back 2 weeks later showing that i'm 100% fine!! wow!! based on my symptoms and the way i feel i would have never guessed! so the reason why he had these tests was because i was asking him for a referal to a gastrointerologist...i guess not being fully aware at the time i should have instead asked for a endocronoligist instead

so i call him yesterday..the receptionist tells me she needs to leave him a letter informing him of this and she'll get back to me today...well they just called and the lady says the doctor doesn't want to refer me to an endo because there is nothing wrong with my thryroid..i told her that most general tests performed don't really show that anything is wrong with ones thyroid...

i am absolutely disgusted right now that i'm thinking of ditching this doctor and finding a better one..

any suggestions on what to do? theres this clinic by my house where this doctor refers you fairly easily without much diffuculty..i might resort to that route

does anyone here know how accurate these tests are? not once have i heard anyone mention t3, t4, cortisol levels..or anything like that

Old 08-20-2009, 09:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User
Re: What to do if family doc doesn't want to give me referral?

I would dump him as that is what I did with the first dr I had. When my husband retired we had to change insurances. Shortly after that I had all kinds of symptoms. I went to the new dr. He ran some blood work, all normal. I still wasn't feeling right and went back. He stuck his face in mine and asked if I wanted the name of a good psychiatrist. Bye bye. I picked another dr same office. She was rude. Told me I didn't need this test or that test. I dumped her too. I now drive further but I have a primary dr who lets me have testing to find out what is going on. I think I gained some respect when my brain scan came back with unusual calcifications. What I do is research alot and read these boards and then tell him why I want the tests. He gives in. I am having my parathyroid test done again. The first time I don't think I fasted nor had it done early in the day. Sometimes labs come back normal because of human error. Hang in there and keep trying

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2009, 05:05 PM   #3
(female)

juner50 HB User

Hi Chucky,
Do you happen to have your lab results? It would be helpful to know what you were tested for and what your results are.

Your symptoms are somewhat vague and they may or may not be thyroid related so it would be of great help to us to see you test results. I'm sure someone here can be of help.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:25 AM   #4
(male)

Chucky89 HB User

thanks for the responses..first and foremost it is my duty to make sure i never see the current ffamily doc again..screw him..like you mentioned..i bet my next visit to him will result in the psychiatrist word being thrown out a bunch of times

i do not have the lab results but from now on i will ask for a copy..i have that right..

i'm sure i have a thyroid problem..i can't gain weight..i eat all the time..if i don't constantly eat then i start gradually, slowly losing weight

my mental focus at times is rediculous..i am always fatigued.

* Disallowed website link and related information removed by hb-mod, moderator *

i'm eyeing Dr. Trinh who apparently deals only with metabolic issues with patients whose conditions have been undertreated..ya with me thats an understatement..

monday i'm heading to the clinic and i will be asking for a referall to this man...if the docor denies me i will flip out

Last edited by hb-mod; 08-22-2009 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Please don't post disallowed links as per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Closed Thread