It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2009, 03:21 PM   #1
(female)

ashleydk HB User
New here

Is .01 TSH bad? I'm still trying to understand all of this. I was recently diagnosed with HyperT friday and it was so late in the day i didn't have time to talk much with my Doctor. I'll give a breif history, I'm 29. I had a hysterectomy done in feb of 09. I have had Interstitial Cystitis for 11 years and was just told I have Post Partum Depression (which i feel its just my thyroid). The dr prescribed me Tapozole and Prozac. could the PPD just be my thyroid.? I don't feel depressed and its been 11 months since i gave birth.

Last edited by ashleydk; 08-22-2009 at 08:50 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2009, 02:08 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
Re: New here

The low TSH in itself tells us very little. Those free thyroid levels and your symptoms tell you more about the seriousness of your situation. The low TSH does nothing in itself - in your case it is an indicator that you're HyperT (when on HypoT meds TSH is sometimes suppressed by those meds - like in my case - my possible symptoms and free T levels tell me where I'm at).

I've understood that post partum depression is often thyroid related - pregnancy and childbirth are a bit of a shock to one's thyroid and autoimmune system and they can go wacko for a while (or sometimes permanently).

Have you been tested for thyroid antibodies? You should since those can give you some indication of what's ahead. Any case try not to worry too much - you need to take it easy since your body is already under stress - this can be taken care of .

Last edited by FinnMaid; 08-23-2009 at 04:29 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2009, 07:13 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

vh90453 HB User

What symptoms caused your Doctor to diagnose PPD? I'm hyper (in remission), my sister was diagnosed with severe PPD 5 months after birth. I took care of her and her children for months so I know a bit about both conditions. Are you being treated by an Endo?

Old 08-23-2009, 08:09 AM   #4
(female)

ashleydk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnMaid View Post
The low TSH in itself tells us very little. Those free thyroid levels and your symptoms tell you more about the seriousness of your situation. The low TSH does nothing in itself - in your case it is an indicator that you're HyperT (when on HypoT meds TSH is sometimes suppressed by those meds - like in my case - my possible symptoms and free T levels tell me where I'm at).

I've understood that post partum depression is often thyroid related - pregnancy and childbirth are a bit of a shock to one's thyroid and autoimmune system and they can go wacko for a while (or sometimes permanently).

Have you been tested for thyroid antibodies? You should since those can give you some indication of what's ahead. Any case try not to worry too much - you need to take it easy since your body is already under stress - this can be taken care of .

I know my Dr is doing a T3 and T4 test. I will get the results to those monday. is that the same as thyroid antibody test?

Old 08-23-2009, 08:20 AM   #5
(female)

ashleydk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh90453 View Post
What symptoms caused your Doctor to diagnose PPD? I'm hyper (in remission), my sister was diagnosed with severe PPD 5 months after birth. I took care of her and her children for months so I know a bit about both conditions. Are you being treated by an Endo?
Well lets see, I have lost alot of weight, i was 114lbs and dropped to 98 within a month, I do not sleep, I have no energy, my mind can not focus and i feel lots of anger and aggrevation towards the smallest thing. I feel like i'm goin crazy but i do not feel depressed of sad or anything although i do cry over nothing sometimes but now mostly it has turned to anger. I feel as if my body is going to shut down. my thrroid is also enlarged.
I'm also having chills, sweats , my muscles hurt. i often get dizzy and the weird thing is my heart rate and blood pressure have been really low. I thought when you were stressed you heart rate and blood pressure went up. I have not seen an endo i just found out friday by my family dr. she told me she was going to do a T3 and T4 and she may have to refer me to an endo.

Last edited by ashleydk; 08-23-2009 at 08:49 AM.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:57 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleydk View Post
I know my Dr is doing a T3 and T4 test. I will get the results to those monday. is that the same as thyroid antibody test?
No, those measure the amount of your actual thyroid hormones (TSH is a pituitary hormone that regulates thyroid's function and it usually drops when there are too much thyroid hormones available). Hope you get those FREE thyroid levels tested - total levels are inaccurate (free levels tell you how much of them are available for use).

You need to have TS (thyroid stimulating) and TPO and Tg (thyroid suppressing) antibodies tested - those will tell if this is an autoimmune issue.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 08-23-2009 at 08:59 AM.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:05 AM   #7
(female)

ashleydk HB User
Thumbs up Re: New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnMaid View Post
No, those measure the amount of your actual thyroid hormones (TSH is a pituitary hormone that regulates thyroid's function and it usually drops when there are too much thyroid hormones available). Hope you get those FREE thyroid levels tested - total levels are inaccurate (free levels tell you how much of them are available for use).

You need to have TS (thyroid stimulating) and TPO and Tg (thyroid suppressing) antibodies tested - those will tell if this is an autoimmune issue.
thank you. I'm trying to get all the advice i can so i can ask my dr more questions.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:34 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

vh90453 HB User

You don't need antidepressants, you need thyroid meds. Your symptoms are very typical of thyroid disease, you aren't going mad. Once you are diagnosed correctly and put on meds you will feel much better. All the best.

Closed Thread