It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2009, 04:30 PM   #1
(female)

theresaw HB User
Hello from the UK...

I was diagnosed (finally) as hyperthyroid last year. Once the medication had kicked in, I felt better than I had done since I was about 18 (I'm now 35). Over the years I had been to see my GP with almost every symptom of hyperthyroidism and I had a couple of tests for this condition, which came back in the normal range.

Having now 'recovered' and been off the medication for several months, I now have all the symptoms again and again my blood test has come back normal. However, this time, I know that I am hyperthyroid and my consultant has agreed to give me a low dose of medication (almost a miracle). What I have come to realise is this; I am outside of the standard deviation, i.e. what is Joe and Jane Blog's normal range is not mine.

My lab resut for the first T test they do here in the UK was 0.9 (in the UK, if this T test is normal they will not do the other T tests!).

I think the misdiagnosis of essential tremor has probably been the most devastating to me - and was made by my GP, not a Consultant. When the tremor dissapeared once I had been on the medication for a while, well, I can not describe the joy. Plus the fatigue is pretty miserable too. Now that I have had a period without these symptoms (and the many others - profuse sweating, palpitations, eye problems, muscle weakness, breathlessness, lump in throat, always on the loo - I could go on and on), there is no way I am going to accept them again, just because my blood test results are in the normal range.

I would just like to mention that my Consultant said that low ferritin levels (which I have) are not linked to the thyroid - yet I have read that this is not true. Mind you, my GP once told me that the reason my eyes shook in the mornings was because I lacked potassium - this was without testing my potassium levels, yes really!!! Also, I am sure I have Grave's disease but have never actually been told what has caused me to be hyperthyroid. Oh well, you have medical insurance we have the NHS!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread