It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2009, 06:12 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

salty HB Usersalty HB User
I Have New Results--Free T3 and Free T4 & Need Help Please

Hi, everyone.

I have to go to the dr. Thurs. and I've never been on thyroid meds and I wasn't prepared if my
Free T4 and Free T3 results are low.

I'm worried and want to know what to talk to the dr. about...

Free T4 is 0.84 from 0.61-1.76

Free T3 is 2.7 from 2.3-4.2

My TSH was not retested, but on the last test it was:

0.726 from 0.450-4.500

I appreciate any responses.

Thank you so much,
Salty

Last edited by salty; 08-24-2009 at 08:12 PM. Reason: added and changed

Old 08-24-2009, 07:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Could You Please Read My Free T3 and Free T4 Results?

Your Ft4 levels are 20% of the normal range. This is suboptimal, but normal in range.

Your FT3 results are 21% of normal range. This is also suboptimal, but normal in range.

If you are on meds you should get an increase. If you are not on meds you should fight for some if you have ANY hypothyroid symptoms.

Good thing about your results is that your FT3 and Ft4 levels are balanced, thus there is no indication of adrenal or conversion issues at this time.

MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2009, 07:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you, MG. I really appreciate your response. I'm worried, I really didn't expect them to be low.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what do I ask my gyn to put me on?

I am not on thyroid meds, only on 1% bioidentical T cream for low testosterone and supplements for low ferritin and vit.d.

hugs,
Salty

Last edited by salty; 08-24-2009 at 08:14 PM. Reason: added

Old 08-25-2009, 07:06 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

I'll make my plug for natural thyroid hormones here...... if you can convince your doc to prescribe. You need to do some reading and research and decide whether you want to go onto synthetics, as most doctors prescribe, or the natural thyroid which is from desiccated pig thyroid preparations. I prefer the natural because it contains a full compliment of hormones our own thyroids produce (T1, T2, T3, T4 and calcitonin), which I feel are necessary for good health, wheras the most commonly prescribed synthetics contain only T4.
The hitch is that so many people are going over to the NTH that there are currently some shortages because the manufacturers weren't prepared. So you might have to start on the synthetic T4 if you can't find any, but you can switch over if you decide to when these shortages get straightened out.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:17 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina, i appreciate you writing. i am not prepared for Thursday, i have postponed my appointment.

i need to be more informed.

i do not want synthetic, i would rather have natural.

i have no idea what i'm doing though. i don't know whether i should be "messing" with my thyroid...that's my biggest concern.

i'm sorry i'm just nervous over this...i really didn't expect the results to be low.

hugs,
Salty

Old 08-25-2009, 03:10 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Please bear w/me everyone. I just spoke to the pharmacist at the compounding pharmacy and she made me feel so much better. She said that if my gyn orders the natural HRT that she's sure she can make it up.

That was one of my worries--that i wouldn't be able to find the natural HR anywhere.

I am now going to try to get my appt. back. If i know that office, it is already taken, but i'm going to try as hard as i can to get any appt SOON before he goes on vacation.

Sorry for the confusion, i can't believe how different i feel after speaking to that nice pharmacist. She made it seem okay and that's what i needed.

Please give me any advice about what i ask him for--do i just tell him my Free T3 and Free T4 may be in the normal range, but they are on the LOW end of normal and i want the natural hormonal replacement?

If he says no to that, i don't know what i'll do next, but he went w/my idea for the bioidentical cream, so maybe he will with this too.

Please give me any advice you can, sorry as soon as you can.

All of you are so great! Don't know what i'd do without your help.

Thank you sooo very much,
Salty

Old 08-25-2009, 10:06 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm something...back to being undecided again. So sorry.

I hope you will keep writing if you have opinions. Guess it's all so new to me, i just need to educate myself more.

Hugs,
Salty

Old 08-26-2009, 07:41 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

I do not think natural thyroid hormone would be a good start for you. Why? Well it is true that two-thirds of us need some T3 supplementation, but that is normally indicated by a significantly lower T3 level than T4 level. Your Ft4 and FT3 levels while LOW are balanced. As a result you are converting T4 to T3 in a balanced ratio. As a result adding a T4/T3 natural thyroid supplement could drive you hyperT in T3. So the safest thing to do would be to start on a 50 mcg T4 dosage regime.

It will take 6 weeks on the 50 mcgs to be sure that your symptoms have balanced out to the new thyroid blood equilibrium levels. So 4-6 weeks after starting the T4 supplement get another Ft4 and Ft3 run. This will allow you to see how your body has responded to the thyroid supplementation. If you are no longer balanced there may be secondary issues at work and we can recommend additional testing. Bur to start out with given you have NO glaring T4 to T3 conversion issue you should start supplementing with the most benign and gentlest form of thyroid hormone. I started with T4 only and was good until I got pregnant. Pregnancy caused my body to stop T4 to T3 conversion and now I take a combination of synthetic T4 and Armour. Treating the thyroid is a slow and systematic process, but it is possible to treat effectively. Unfortunately there is no way to rush treatment.

As to what to say to your OB. Well if you have any hypoT symptoms you should ask for a trial of thyroid medication to see if that will give you relief given that your Ft4 and FT3 levels are 20 and 21 percent of normal range. You can stress that the NACB (National Assoc. of Clinical Biologist) responsible for determining normal test ranges found 90-95% of normal thyroid functioning adults to fall in the 45-65% of normal range post menopause and 60-80% for males and childbearing age females. YOU are way below both despite your state. Have you been tested for Hashimoto's thyroiditis? Insist on testing if not. The lab codes are TPOAb and TGAb. These are the best tests for it. INSIST ON THE TESTING. If you have positive antibodies and the low thyroid function indicated thyroid supplementation is warranted to slow the progress of Hashimoto's while reducing symptomology. When in doubt test things thoroughly. Doubt is normal. A small trial of 50 mcgs should only help you, but you need to consult a knowledgable MD that you trust.

Sincerely,
MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 08-26-2009 at 07:50 AM.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:28 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

MG, I can't thank you enough, I appreciate you writing all that information.

I did not have positive antibodies.

I have not been tested for hash's.

I will take your advice to my gyn. mid-Sept.

I am really grateful to you--thank you sooo much!

Hugs,
Salty

Old 08-31-2009, 05:08 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Your welcome. I am glad that I can help. We have all been there getting proper diagnosis and treatment is extremely hard.

MG

Closed Thread