It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2009, 08:54 PM   #1
(female)

fish24 HB User
muscle fatigue and other questions...

I am pretty new to all of this. I was just diagnosed with hashimoto's disease. I also have a few extremely small nodules on my thyroid. I already made one post about my neck/throat discomfort. I just want to get a handle on some of what I am feeling and see how much of it is related to my diagnosis.

Here is what I am feeling....

1) muscle fatigue - esp in my arms...sometimes they just fell like they are going to simply drop off my body.

2) sore throat

3) neck/throat discomfort...like something is pushing on my throat. It's worse when I lie down

4) hair falling out when I comb it

5) bouts of extreme fatigue....sometimes I just HAVE to lie down and close my eyes.

6) heavy periods

7) Mental fog

I know there is more that I am not thinking of right now. Is all of this related to my thyroid problems? Is there anything that stands out as something I need to look further into? I just stared a baby dose of meds (25 of Lev-something).

Thanks...
Jess

Old 08-25-2009, 06:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: muscle fatigue and other questions...

Yes, those are all thyroid symptoms. You definitely sound like you need treatment. Do you have any labs to share? You need to raise your thyroid hormones slowly but steadily until you stop having symptoms. 25mcg is a tiny, tiny dose.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2009, 08:02 PM   #3
(female)

krissy38 HB User

All of your symptoms are thyroid related. I have been on armour thyroid for four years. I was great until a month ago my tsh sky rocketed to 68. I share all of your symptoms to the extreme. I wasn't too sure if the throat discomfort was related until I read your message. Just hang in there it's a slow process to get us within normal range but I promise you will feel better. When I was diagnosed 4 yrs ago my tsh was at 281 and I truly thought I was going to die, but after about 6 months I was feeling great. Hang in there

Old 08-30-2009, 06:37 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

golfhat HB Usergolfhat HB Usergolfhat HB User

I think you have very typical symptoms of Thyroid disease.

Do you have excessive coughing, or choking? When my doc pressed on my growth the first time, I said that is how I feel 1/2 the time. Like something is choking me!

I had been choking on food especially meat and raw veggies, for about 8 years. I had no clue it was a thyroid nodule pressing on the trachea. I coughed all the time especially at night.

yes, my muscles also felt weak at times but more-so AFTER surgery. I hope that clears up with meds.

They tested my T function before the surgery.
Supposedly, my thyroid function was normal even with the nodule. The ENT said that happens a lot with cancer. Translation: I did not have Thyroid Disease, but the growth itself caused problems, including a possible malignancy.

[There is papp cancer in my family so my growth had to come out. I have a cyst to watch on the other side, now.]

With only 1/2 Thyroid I began having the typical problems including brain fogginess.
I feel somewhat better on meds, but not 100%.

I think you could be a poster child for Thyroid disease!!

Last edited by golfhat; 08-30-2009 at 06:39 AM.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:14 AM   #5
(female)

fish24 HB User

ok. first of all, thanks for the replies.

A few people, here and elsewhere, have brought up stories of Thyroid Cancer. That makes me nervous. Would that be something that would come up on my scan and/or bloodwork. The doctor didn't mention any conern over cancer. As a matter of fact she said that multiple nodules (as opposed to one) are basically always benign. Plus my biggest nodule is only 2mm and she said, at that size, it would be very hard to test them anyway.

I know my antibody level is high but my thyroid function levels (whatever that means) are within normal. Of course, I'm not sure why I feel SO bad then.

I need to get back in. I am totally confused. I especially hate the throat pressure.

Thanks again...
Jess

Old 08-31-2009, 09:28 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Most docs undertreat Hashi's and it sounds like you are getting the same treatment. I would look into finding someone who will raise your thyroid hormones (with preferably natural thyroid hormones) until your symptoms are relieved and you are not having symptoms. The theory is to increase thyroid hormones until the thyroid goes inactive and this will stop the antibody attacks on it.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:52 AM   #7
(female)

Hashimotossucks HB User

why are physicians so reluctant to treat hashimoto's?
FDA regulations and fear of malpractice?
Anyhow, just because you fall into the normal range on everything else does not mean you feel fine. Hashimotos can make you feel like hell.
I am getting a biopsy on my nodules this week. I want to know if there is some sort of 'nodule size to cancer risk ratio' chart. My doctor told me 1mm is a 5-10% chance of cancer. Is that right?

Old 08-31-2009, 01:11 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
why are physicians so reluctant to treat hashimoto's?
Medical doctors mostly treat based on clinical guidelines. Failure to do so does leave them open to being vulnerable if they were to be sued. Not all of us agree with the current thyroid treatment clinical guidelines however. The studies these guidelines are based on are, in many cases, flawed and there actually are NO good current studies out there about natural thyroid hormones or comparing them to T4 treatment. Clinical studies are largely funded by large pharmaceutical companies who have a direct profit motive in the outcome.

Here is the EMedicine clinical guidelines for treating Hashimoto's

Quote:
The treatment of choice for Hashimoto's thyroiditis (or hypothyroidism of any cause) is thyroid hormone replacement. The drug of choice is orally administered levothyroxine sodium, usually for life.
Tailor and titrate the dose to meet the individual patient's requirements. The goal of therapy is to restore a clinically and biochemically euthyroid state. The standard dose is 1.6-1.8 mcg/kg lean body weight per day, but the dose is patient dependent. The free T4 and TSH levels are within reference ranges in the biochemically euthyroid state, with the TSH level in the lower half of the reference range.
The problem as I see it is that doctors tend to rely on the biochemical aspect of treatment, i.e. going by lab results with the TSH being the lab of choice and no emphases on Free T4 and Free T3 getting up into the higher end of range OR on the patient's symptoms. Many Hashi's sufferers have "normal" TSH and if one were to add T3 to the treatment (as many prefer to do) the TSH gets suppressed below normal range.

So, as you know, medicine ain't perfect and unfortunately with Hashi's treatment for so many, it's less than even that, it's abysmal.

Closed Thread