It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2009, 08:30 AM   #1
(female)

Luvmydogs6 HB User
Has anyone gone to a Holistic doc?

I am living in a rural area of Florida and have no Endo's around. I have been going to a walk-in clinic for a few years now. They just keep me on basically the same dose of Synthroid. I have no medical ins. and only 3 weeks left of pills before the walk-in place wants me to do bloodwork. They do not check for T3 or anything, just the minimal and I do not even see a doc there but a physicians assistant. I have been feeling terrible and I know my levels are wayyyyyyy off! My point is, instead of spending the money for the walk-in and bloodwork would I be better off seeing a Holistic doc who deals with Thyroid issues? I do have one in the area.
* Disallowed website and related information removed by hb-mod, moderator *

I think the first visit is going to be 350.00 plus bloodwork.
Any info. would be appreciated.
Thanx in advance.

Last edited by hb-mod; 08-25-2009 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Please don't post disallowed websites as per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:34 AM   #2
(female)

one2wonder HB User
Re: Has anyone gone to a Holistic doc?

Well, I will say a tried a "holistic doc" in FL. He did some things that I didn't agree with. First, how he prescribed Armour to me. He prescribed it as just taking the dose once in the morning. I asked about taking it in afternoon as well b/c of T3 being so short acting. He said that "it isn't done b/c it would keep me awake." I asked about T1, T2, and calcitonin in Armour. He said that Armour doesn't contain that. He also said that he felt that my dry cracked bleeding hands were from my dish soap. Funny, b/c I had such fatigue that I couldn't do the dishes, my dh was and my legs were just as dry and I sure do not use dishsoap on my legs ! I guess my point is, you can get good docs within any range of holistic, md, do, etc. You just have to find them. The holistic doc I went to didn't work for me, but that's not to say one (or even the same one) wouldn't work for you or someone else.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2009, 10:08 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

I think they can be excellent, however, I do not see one. Typically insurance doesn't pay for them and if they do, I would pay up front and ask and hope to get some money back from insurance and I am just not going to do that.

Instead, my alternative is finding a doctor who is on the same page as me and I have a general family doctor who is and I believe my endo is as well, at least she is willing to listen to me and she will order labs that I ask for.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:34 AM   #4
(female)

Oppida HB User

I do and I love her. She understands functional medicine. She is helping me to deal with my auto-immune disease (Hashimotos) through diet, supplements (Vitamin D, etc) and to address my probably low adrenals. I think, like any other doctor, you have to find the right one. Some are quacks and some know the body more than any doc. I feel that way- my endo is a jerk, but I get what I want from him. My accupunturist is helping me to address my disease, not give me 30 different drugs for all my symptoms (like my endo wants to do)

If you see a good naturalist, perhaps you can have him or her tell you what labs you need, then you can go to the clinic and tell them what you want done...to make the most out of the little care you are getting!

Last edited by Oppida; 08-25-2009 at 10:35 AM.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:09 PM   #5
(female)

Luvmydogs6 HB User

I called and made an app. for Sept. 4th. I know I cannot mention her website but she is in Winter Park and her name is Dr. Joya Schoen.
Since she is my only choice I have nothing to lose except my money!
I will post my thyroid levels when I get them.

Thanx for your help.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:27 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

I went to a naturopath for a couple of visits. I think he was Ok but I just don't believe in many of the things he tried to push (oxygen therapy, etc). But I will credit him with putting a bug in my ear about my thyroid and this did help me to figure out what was really going on down the road. But I'm too cheap to shell out the money for him when I can find a good MD that my insurance will cover. And they also tend to try to sell a lot of expensive suppliments as well.

I would keep trying to find a conventional doc who charges less for an office visit. I think $350 a pretty pricey myself. There are good docs and PAs and NPs out there who practice good medicine and know how to treat thyroid. You just have to keep looking and you may have to travel a ways to find a good one.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:39 PM   #7
(female)

Luvmydogs6 HB User

Thanx, this doc supposedly is excellent with thyroid issues and comes highly recommended so we'll see. She is going to do a full thyroid panel and that charge is 92 bucks. Adding up the cost of going to a regular doc and having bloodwork done with no insurance is close to her charges so for me being so outta control for so long with nothing checked at all it is worth a try.

Last edited by hb-mod; 08-25-2009 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Removed quote of the immediately preceding post. Please use Quick Reply instead of Quote Reply. Thanks.

Closed Thread