It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2009, 04:30 PM   #1
(female)

socalgirl HB User
hi everyone. new to the board

o.k.... I have been scouring the internet because I have not been feeling well the last few weeks.
It sure seems like I have a LOT of symptoms of hyperthyroidism.
The problem is, I do not have medical insurance, so I have not been to a doctor. (bad, I know) To make matters worse, I am EXTREMELY phobic of any kind of medial treatment, office, needles, blood...all that stuff.
It's hard to explain, if you do not suffer from it, you have no idea.
I am not some scared little kid, I am a 44 year old woman, and this phobia has affected me my whole life.
So, I am trying to at least work up the courage to have a blood test done. (I have found a lab that does them without a doctors order) I figure at least with that I will know if it's my thyroid.
Stupid, I know, but how many vials of blood do they need to take for TSH, Free T4 and Free T3? I don't know why I want to know that, I guess I am tring to figure out how long it will take.
Anyways, as I said, I have lots of the symptoms of hyper-t. I have read thru so many of the posts here, and I can so relate to them all it seems.
This seems like a great community for support.
I have other stupid questions, but this post has gotten long enough already.
Thanks for listening.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sparkie HB User
Re: hi everyone. new to the board

Those three tests are one vial of blood. You may want to consider adding a TSI, the Grave's antibody study, and/or TPO, the Hashimoto antibody. How long have you had symptoms? I can relate to your phobia. I have white coat syndrome and get all worked up at a doctor's office. Quite frankly, the doctors don't even seem to notice. Just be up front with them and let them know. On onset of hyper symptoms is not necessarily hyperthyroidism. Sometimes it can be a thyroiditis or the onset of Hashimoto's. The antibody studies can help rule in or out Hashimotos or Graves. Keep us posted as you work through this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2009, 09:41 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User
Re: hi everyone. new to the board

The tests you need for certain are:

~TSH
~FREE T3
~FREE T4
~TSI (Thyroid stimulating immunogobulins)
~TPO
~TgAB

The TSI is typically a marker for Graves disease or hyperthyroidism. You also may be hypothyroid and experiencing some periods of hyperthyroidism while the thyroid is being destroyed it will release hormones causing you to feel hyper. Also, if you are like me, you can have both Graves and Hashimotos, so you need to have the antibodies tested for both which are the last three I listed above.

I understand blood work-ups, going to the doctor, etc. can be upsetting, but I have found that you need to make yourself mentally strong and you can get through it. I use to faint when having blood drawn or I would be so worked up that my blood wouldn't come out, it was terrible. Over time I have learned to just be strong about it and mentally prepare myself and tell myself it isn't a big deal and that the anticipation of it is the worst part, maybe a pep talk to yourself will help you like it did with me?

For the TSH, Free T3 and T4 it is one vial of blood. My doctor suspects that I have other autoimmune problems going on, so last week they took 7 tubes of blood from me! I use to freak out, and now that I have mentally given myself a pep-talk, I am okay with this stuff. I try to think about all of the things I went through in life that were much more difficult such as bootcamp for the military, giving birth naturally, running 8 miles or more in the military.

Closed Thread