It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2009, 04:05 PM   #1
(female)

Oppida HB User
Very confused about Armour dosage.

I was on 150 mcg of Levoxyl. I switched to Armour two weeks ago and was told (on the bottle) to take 1 tablet (120mcg) twice a day. Isn't that 4 grains?

I was feeling yucky and this week I increased to 2.5 tablets, so isn't that 4.5 grains?

Today I just filled the rest of my prescription at another pharmacy (so I could stock up on the Armour with the supply being so bad right now) and it says 120 mcg tablets- take one a day!

That made me think I might be taking too much?

Is 4.5 grains a big dose? I just started upping the dosage on Monday. I don't feel hyper...yet...what would I feel if I was on too much? I still feel crappy.

My endo won't do labs until November so I have no labs to report. Just how I feel.

Hope this makes sense!

Old 08-26-2009, 04:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: Very confused about Armour dosage.

One gr of Armour is 60 mcg. Generally we get up around 3 or 4 grains to be therapeutic but given that Armour is weaker than it used to be you might have to go higher. But we usually increase slowly, 1/2 grain every two weeks and do repeat labs every 4 weeks or so. Since you can't get the labs (unless you want to order your own online) I would just slowly increase until you feel your symptoms abate. Look up hyper symptoms and if you start experiencing them cut back 1/4 grain at a time and see if they abate. But this is a slow process and you can't rush it.

If you continue to have troubles getting optimized you should consider checking your adrenal function with a saliva cortisol test (which you'd need to order yourself online). If you have adrenal fatigue no amount of thyroid hormones will work well because you need cortisol to carry the T3 into the cells. You should also make sure to check your vitamin levels if you haven't already done so because many of us are deficient in D and B12 as well as ferritin and this causes symptoms too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2009, 04:36 PM   #3
(female)

Oppida HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelina View Post
One gr of Armour is 60 mcg. Generally we get up around 3 or 4 grains to be therapeutic but given that Armour is weaker than it used to be you might have to go higher. But we usually increase slowly, 1/2 grain every two weeks and do repeat labs every 4 weeks or so. Since you can't get the labs (unless you want to order your own online) I would just slowly increase until you feel your symptoms abate. Look up hyper symptoms and if you start experiencing them cut back 1/4 grain at a time and see if they abate. But this is a slow process and you can't rush it.

If you continue to have troubles getting optimized you should consider checking your adrenal function with a saliva cortisol test (which you'd need to order yourself online). If you have adrenal fatigue no amount of thyroid hormones will work well because you need cortisol to carry the T3 into the cells. You should also make sure to check your vitamin levels if you haven't already done so because many of us are deficient in D and B12 as well as ferritin and this causes symptoms too.
Thank you! I've had horrific hyper symptoms on Levoxyl, so I have a good idea what it's like- I have yet to feel hyper though. I'll hold this dosage for one more week and see how i feel.

I'm getting a 24 hour urine cortisal test (I know it's better to do the saliva, but my egotistical endo refused and I can only get a urine). I think my adrenals are fatigued. I was diagnosed with HAshi's right after my son was born and it was the most stressful time of my life. (mom got cancer, had major construction going on, colicy baby, no sleep) My adrenals had to be affected...

I'm taking D and B from my holistic doc.

thank you for your post it was really helpful!

Old 08-26-2009, 04:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

Many holistic docs have saliva cortisol tests if you want to ask yours (but avoid one called Diagnos-Tech, it's very unreliable). I think it's a lot more useful than the urine, which just mixes all the cortisol levels together and doesn't tell you when you are high or low during the cycle. If you want to PM me I can send you a lead on where to order a saliva test online that costs about $100.

Sorry about all your stress. I know how bad it can be and I'm very stress intolerant too. Getting better with my thyroid levels getting normalized though! Hanginthere.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:20 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I feel certain your MD intends for you to take 1 tablet a day, not 2. Before Armour was monkeyed with, 240 mgs (milligrams, not micrograms) was the rough equivalent of 300 mcgs of T4 med.

We don't all take 3 -4 grains a day because we're all individuals. You may not need it, either. And judging a dose by "feelings" only is risky, because hyperT can feel for all the world just the same as hypo. I know this for fact.

Be careful.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:42 PM   #6
(female)

Oppida HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
I feel certain your MD intends for you to take 1 tablet a day, not 2. Before Armour was monkeyed with, 240 mgs (milligrams, not micrograms) was the rough equivalent of 300 mcgs of T4 med.

We don't all take 3 -4 grains a day because we're all individuals. You may not need it, either. And judging a dose by "feelings" only is risky, because hyperT can feel for all the world just the same as hypo. I know this for fact.

Be careful.
Can you tell me a little more about how hyperT can feel like HypoT? And why that happens? Now I'm worried I'm taking too much.

When I was on Levoxyl, I had very distinct hyperT symptoms- I couldn't breathe, I had panic attacks, my hair was falling out. I was nervous, jittery and crazy feeling.

I don't have that feeling now with the dosage of Armour, I just feel weird. I don't feel normal. I don't feel hypo or hyper, just weird and not right. It's gotten to the point that feeling like this way is so normal to me, I don't know what truly "normal" is.

Ug.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:30 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

When I first began treatment, my TSH was 7, and I was given 75 mcgs of Synthroid to take. The anxiety and muscle aches and tightness that were part of my hypothyroid state got a little better at first; but then, the anxiety increased and muscles worsened until they were spastic at times. From all I'd read here and on other boards, everyone said that's a sign I need a dose increase. I hung on and waited it out.

When I went back for my 6-week levels check, my FTs were above range. I had become certifiably hyper on that dose, yet I'd had no classic signs of hyper, like fast bowels or tremor. Mostly just muscle and anxiety troubles, which can be found in either hypo or hyper. My dose was lowered; the severe muscle problems and anxiety persisted. Labs were still hyper after another 6 weeks on the lowest therapeutic dose.

You could not have convinced me I wasn't still hypo if you asked me to judge by symptoms alone. That's why I say hyper can feel exactly like hypo.

If you're taking 4.25 grains now, you're taking the equivalent of twice the synthetics you formerly took. That's risky. You should call the MD's office and find out exactly what he wrote on the script. It sounds as if the pharmacy made an error... which isn't an uncommon occurrence, I'm sure you know.

Last edited by midwest1; 08-27-2009 at 10:31 AM.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:02 AM   #8
(female)

Oppida HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
When I first began treatment, my TSH was 7, and I was given 75 mcgs of Synthroid to take. The anxiety and muscle aches and tightness that were part of my hypothyroid state got a little better at first; but then, the anxiety increased and muscles worsened until they were spastic at times. From all I'd read here and on other boards, everyone said that's a sign I need a dose increase. I hung on and waited it out.

When I went back for my 6-week levels check, my FTs were above range. I had become certifiably hyper on that dose, yet I'd had no classic signs of hyper, like fast bowels or tremor. Mostly just muscle and anxiety troubles, which can be found in either hypo or hyper. My dose was lowered; the severe muscle problems and anxiety persisted. Labs were still hyper after another 6 weeks on the lowest therapeutic dose.

You could not have convinced me I wasn't still hypo if you asked me to judge by symptoms alone. That's why I say hyper can feel exactly like hypo.

If you're taking 4.25 grains now, you're taking the equivalent of twice the synthetics you formerly took. That's risky. You should call the MD's office and find out exactly what he wrote on the script. It sounds as if the pharmacy made an error... which isn't an uncommon occurrence, I'm sure you know.

You are right. I woke up this AM and am totally hyper, I have tremors, jittery, fast bowels, etc. I called my doc and he is supposed to call me back. The nurse said my prescription said 2 grains. The pharmacy totally messed up! So did I by taking .5 grains more, I thought that after 2 weeks you were supposed raise it instead of staying on a starting dose. Little did I know I was taking too much in the first place!

Thank you for your post and cautioning me- it made me look into my dosage and see what was going on!

Old 08-27-2009, 11:30 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

You're welcome. I'm so glad you're getting back on track now.

I don't agree that the dose has to be raised every 2 weeks. That isn't the method my holistic practitioner uses, and it's by no means the universal way to do it. The standard way is to check labs 6 weeks after initiating or changing a dose, and that works just fine for most.

It's almost never a good idea to increase dosage on your own. Sorry you had to learn the hard way. It's always a good idea to learn as much about these things as you can absorb, mainly so you'll know when an error has been made by a pharmacist or MD. We have to look out for ourselves first, when all is said and done.

Closed Thread