It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2009, 07:44 AM   #1
(female)

socalgirl HB User
just wondering about a some symptoms...

Good morning,

I posted earlier in the week about how I am pretty sure that I have Hyper-t.
but have not been diagnosed.

I was wondering something though, about a couple of my symptoms....
For instance, It seems like hyper-t's are always hot. I do get hot and notice that I do sweat more. (not sweating, like rolling down my face sweat though). But it seems like my deodorant isn's quite as effective sometimes.
But there are times when my hands and especially my feet are freezing!!

Also, I don't seem to always have a ravenous appetite. Sometimes, I feel like nothing tastes good. Also, things seem to taste strong to me that never did before.

One last thing, sometimes, I feel o.k., but then all of a sudden I get all these anxious feelings, and don't feel right... is that typical? that the feelings come and go throught a day?

I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced these symptoms.
I know I need to see a dr., but as I stated in my first post, I don't have insurance and am extremely phobic. I need to do something though, I know.

Thanks

Old 08-27-2009, 10:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: just wondering about a some symptoms...

The symptoms of hypothyroid and hyperthyroid frequently cross over. For example, anxiety appears on both lists. And either one of the thyroid disease can cause problems with the hypothalamus in the brain, which regulates temperature. This dysfunction doesn't appear the same for each hyper- or hypo- person... That is, not all hypos are cold and not all hypers are hot. They can be either. That's why a diagnosis can't be made by symptoms alone. At some point, you're going to have to have bloodwork done.

Your phobia might even be driven by the thyroid disorder. I don't know what to suggest to get you around that Catch 22, though. I know that appealing to reason doesn't generally work when it's a genuine phobia, so that my telling you it will be ok isn't going to help. Do you have a close friend, relative, or spouse whom you can get to help you through the diagnostic process of bloodwork and seeing the doc?

The thing is, if you're hypoT, you can live a long - probably miserable - life before it kills you. But if you're hyperT, it can be more immediately life-threatening not to treat it. You really must find out what's going on with you ASAP.

I have found most medical support people to be extremely compassionate and caring. [Doctors themselves have been another story, but I digress. ] If you're upfront at the beginning and let them know how nervous you are about having blood drawn, they'll do their best to ease you through it. Don't be embarrassed to admit your discomfort; lots of people have the same fears. I'd bet lab techs see it every single day.

Last edited by midwest1; 08-27-2009 at 10:16 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread