It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2009, 07:55 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

golfhat HB Usergolfhat HB Usergolfhat HB User
Talking Help! i need advice as when to take the Synthroid

My pharmacist said take in the morning & do not go back to bed. & wait 45 mins before coffee or food. It has to be on an empty stomach right?

I want to have good strong coffee when I wake up. So I decided to take the pill at 11 pm.

I didn't eat after 7 pm and took it at 11. I did that the first two nights.
But, I had chest pains and could not sleep when I did it that way.

So I tried taking it at 3 am, and sitting up for 30 mins before going back to bed. but it still disrupted my sleep too much.

Now I am taking it at 5:30, [which is earlier than I want to get up] sitting up and dozing & watching tv til 6:15 and then having coffee.

is it true I cannot have cream in my coffee?

I need advice.

I do feel better. It has been 2 weeks.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:14 AM   #2
(female)

b1791 HB User
Re: Help! i need advice as when to take the Synthroid

I've never heard of "not going back to bed" before. I take mine in the morning when I wake up...sometimes I lay in bed for awhile and sometimes not. Then I just wait an hour before I eat. I don't know about the cream in the coffee thing and I would be curious to know as I have milk with my breakfast and was worried about the calcium so close to the Synthroid.

Beth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2009, 08:24 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User

You need to take Synthroid in the morning. I've gone back to bed and have had no problems. I also drink coffee with non dairy creamer (only because I'm lactose intolerant) and it doesn't seem to be a problem. Just wait at least an hour before you eat any food.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:34 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Thanks for the answers.

And I tried the non dairy creamer this morning instead of half and half. It was fine.

I am not working now having gotten laid off by a publisher! I like being able to sleep later, so I will take it at 5 am and go back to bed for about 30-60 mins and then drink my cuppa.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:58 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

The only thing I hate worse than getting absolutely no guidance from the MD on this subject is getting it set in granite. You need to find a way to make it work for your lifestyle. The worst that can happen from taking it the "wrong" way is that you'll ultimately need a slightly larger dose.

My husband is retired, so I don't have to get up early any more. I do need to use the bathroom around 7, though, so I take my med then and go back to bed. I've seen people here who take it earlier than that - maybe 3 or 4 - when they wake for the bathroom. It works fine for most that way, and it makes it easier to fit breakfast into a busy morning routine, or to eat immediately upon waking, if that's needed.

When I did get up early and took my med at 6, I definitely waited an hour to eat, but I had coffee with non-dairy creamer within a half hour. I also frequently eat cereal with milk, but as I said, wait at least an hour to eat it. The key is consistency. If you eat that cereal w milk most days of the week, you will absorb a consistent amount of the hormone; you just may end up on a higher dose ultimately, but that's ok. It'll work out in the end.

The method of taking the med can be adjusted to fit your lifestyle. You don't have to change everything to work around the med. Just be extremely consistent about it, and it'll be fine.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:16 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

I have taken synthroid for 11 or so years. I take it in the morning ...it is right next to the bed. I take it with other meds and sometimes I fall back to sleep or sometimes it is time to just jump up and have some cereal and start the day. I have never had any problems as to what time of the day as long as you take it approx at the same time every day. If you were having chest pains then something else was going on...perhaps you were getting to anxious over taking it. Just take it and don't worry about that goofy pharmacist that gave you such wrong/bad advise. If I worried about what time of the day or what I ate or didn't eat I would be trying to figure out when to take all my medicines all day long. I just take them all in the morning and some I take in the evening because I can't swallow bigger pills in the early morning. Just don't worry about it. Just take it at approx. at the same time every day and forgetaboutit...you will be fine.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:19 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Thank you Midwest, that is what the pharmacist said too when I complained about the coffee.

he said you will have to work it out. I prefer to take it when I get up, but that 4 am taking is looking attractive since I would be able to go back to bed and then have coffee whenever I get up. Which could be as late as 7 or 7:30.

My husband does not go to work til about 8:30 and our mornings are not hectic anymore.

Closed Thread