It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2009, 06:32 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
Midwest, need your opinion....

Hi Midwest, I hope you remember me, it has been a while since I posted on the boards. Been reading some but not posting.

When I was first diagnosed 8 years ago with hashis one of my first symptoms was breathing difficulty and I've had it off and on over the years. Again I'm having breathing difficulty over the last 4 months or so. I also have a tightness in my throat and sometimes notice it is worse when I look down or turn my head. No noticeable swelling in my throat to the outside but then I have never had my thyroid swell to the outside. Anyway, I have gotten my bloodwork done thinking my thyroid was very off. Here are the results.......
FT3 3.46 (2.39-6.79)
FT4 1.39 (0.58-1.64)
As you can see my FT3 is low but my FT4 is a little more than upper 1/3. In your opinion do you think these levels could cause the breathing and tightness? I was expecting my levels to be worse.

My FT3 has been low for sometime, even last time I got bloodwork done it was low and so was the FT4, now the FT4 is a little high. I've also noticed that not taking my Nature Throid and only taking the Unithroid the breathing seems to be a little better. Don't know if that is just a coincidence or not. It is just very frustrating as the breathing at times gets very bad and very scarey.

Your opinion as always will be appreciated. Hope you are doing well.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Midwest, need your opinion....

Hi dea! It's great to see you again, but I'm rally sorry it's because you aren't doing very well.

Are you having trouble filling your lungs with air, or is the problem more from throat constriction? To be honest, I'm not sure whether low FT3 - at only 24% of its range, like yours - can do such a thing by itself when the FT4 level should be adequate. It does sound as if your gland may be swollen, though.

How long have you been using Nature-throid? Can you associate the switch from - Armour, wasn't it? - with the breathing problem? Had you become hypo from the reformulated Armour without realizing it?

I don't know, but I think you should run this by someone who will thoroughly examine your gland for enlargement or nodules. And if it turns out ok, maybe you should consider a lung function test, just to make sure it isn't something other than thyroid.

I just switched from Armour to NT a little more than a month ago. I did an equal dose exchange, but I think I might need a little more than I took of the "good" version of Armour. My levels took a dive and symptoms came back on that reformulated junk, after 5 1/2 years of being just fine. If I were the thyroid police, Forest Labs would be under the gun for that boneheaded move.

Besides that, I've come down with another AI disease known as ITP. Antibodies are destroying my blood platelets. Even though I vowed I'd never use prednisone, which is the first-line treatment for it, I took my first dose yesterday at Dr. Hematologist's insistence. Am none too happy about it. Nasty poison, that stuff. I'd rather take my chances with major bleeding than continue with pred for longer than 2 weeks.

I hope you figure out what's causing your problems without too much time and effort.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2009, 10:20 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

Sorry to hear you have yet something else to deal with.
A lot of times all the added prescriptions just add more symptoms and problems to deal with also. I understand you not wanting to take it.

Nature Throid is not as "potent" as Armour which is why you got the drop. I took Armour for only a short while and didn't do as well on it. I've been taking nature throid for years which is why I think it may just be a coincidence.

The breathing restriction I feel is odd. Sometimes I just can't get a deep breath, it's like there just isn't enough air, I end up gasping and gasping and then feeling dizzy. Then most the time it is just a constant feeling of something on my throat, a tightning feeling. Sometimes when I turn my head or look down it's worse. Most the time it doesn't seem to bother me at night, though sometimes it does. Just very frustrating and odd.
The last time I was at my Dr. he seemed to think it was more of a sinus problem, but with the tightning feeling in my throat which seems to have gotten worse, I'm not so sure. I recently had a summer cold and the breathing was no worse and in fact a little better during that time. Very odd.
Thanks for the reply, I always value your input.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:27 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

Oh, another odd thing....heat from like the oven, makes it worse. If I have anything in the oven the puff of hot air when I open the oven door causes the breathing to be worse, it's like it shuts off my airways. Also sometimes when I eat it bothers me more. I know my dr is going to think I'm nuts.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:39 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Given those specifics, asthma comes to mind. Have you been evaluated for that?

I had breathing trouble before diagnosis. I could inhale all the air I wanted but couldn't fully exhale it, so I ended up hyperventilating when I exercised hard. Others say the opposite; they can't fully inhale. Hypo definitely can affect breathing, no doubt. But your issue sounds different than that, don't you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea4 View Post
Nature Throid is not as "potent" as Armour which is why you got the drop.
The drop came from the change between old Armour and 'new' Armour. Now I'm attempting to get my FTs optimal again. My doc isn't familiar with NT at all, but I think he'll be cooperative enough to raise the dose if need be. It's going to be hard to keep track of symptom improvement now that there's prednisone muddling things up. It's always something.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:07 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB User

When I breathe in its like I can't get a deep breath. I can breathe in okay, it just seems like I can't get that satisying deep breath and breathing out is normal. Otherwise I can breathe in and out normally but always with a tight feeling in the throat area.
Reading through asthma symptoms it doesn't really sound like what I have.
I've had this before over the years but my thyroid levels were always a bit more off then they are now.

Closed Thread