It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2009, 03:53 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

starryGal09 HB UserstarryGal09 HB User
S/O Other immune disease. Questions.

How/when should tests be given?

Do they just show up in the regular blood work ups?

How would you know if there was something else going on if the specific test was never ordered?

Should there be other tests run in the likelihood of other diseases, just to get a baseline type of count or something?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2009, 04:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User
Re: S/O Other immune disease. Questions.

There are different tests for different problems. No they are not done in regular lab work. Go to an Immunologist if needed.

I have Hashimoto's......... tests are thyroid antibodies and symptoms
Celiac Disease....Iga levels, Celiac panel and intestinal biopsies.

I am Iga deficient.......IgA and IgG levels.

Many diffferent test for Autoimmune disorders depending on your symptoms.

What are your symtpoms? Oleander

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2009, 09:26 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleander53 View Post
There are different tests for different problems. No they are not done in regular lab work. Go to an Immunologist if needed.

I have Hashimoto's......... tests are thyroid antibodies and symptoms
Celiac Disease....Iga levels, Celiac panel and intestinal biopsies.

I am Iga deficient.......IgA and IgG levels.

Many diffferent test for Autoimmune disorders depending on your symptoms.

What are your symtpoms? Oleander
I am keeping an eye on my daughter who is Hashimoto's since 05 and not really taken care of adequately, imho.
How would we know if she has other immunity disorders/disease?
To me, from what I have observed the symptoms are just classic Hashimoto's/hypothyroid but to the NTH degree!
She was living away from me at the time of the diagnosis in 05 so I don't have anything clear to compare with other than when she was still living with us.
The weight gain, forgetfulness, mood swings, constipation, inability to sleep, profuse perspiration, moments of extreme exhaustion, can be explained away for the thyroid.

I like to be prepared. I would like for her doc to order every conceivable blood test/panel there is on earth! Just to make sure. And hey, while he's at it, lets do a couple ultrasounds (I don't know of what??) a upper GI series, and hey the list grows and grows.

She has been given substandard care by her PCP from day one. First by taking her OFF of the ENDO prescribed Synthroid and giving her levothyroxine with the "they're all the same" explanation. The pcp dropped the ball with the then 19 year old, prescribing wellbutrin, skelaxin, antibiotics, etc etc.
Doc heard a complaint and wrote a script. That was all the care my daughter received for the next four years.

Last edited by starryGal09; 08-29-2009 at 09:27 AM.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

It would make a lot more sense to get her thyroid in line before doing any more tests. Then, when her thyroid levels have been optimized for 3 months, if symptoms linger, other tests can be done to figure out what else could be causing them.

Tell you a story.... I had a very stupid PCP about 6 years ago, when I started having less-than-typical but yet what I knew could be thyroid-related symptoms. He ran a TSH, but only at my very vocal insistence. He didn't want to do even that basic screening test, because he didn't think it could possibly be my thyroid. I screamed and got the test. It came back at 4.83 on a 5.0 scale; he still said it couldn't be my thyroid. He then ordered $2000 worth of screening tests for various autoimmune diseases, like RA, MS, mixed connective tissue disease, etc.... None of which found anything conclusive, just as I knew they wouldn't. I then self-referred to an endo who diagnosed my hypothyroidism and started treatment.

I've always believed that it's the stupidest MDs who run the most tests... and the ones who practice 'CMA'. A real clinician knows what diseases cause which symptoms and order appropriate tests to confirm or rule out those diseases. He wouldn't order everything willy-nilly, nor should he. How wasteful that is of medical resources. You don't necessarily always get your money's worth from tests, you know.

Old 08-29-2009, 03:16 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
It would make a lot more sense to get her thyroid in line before doing any more tests. Then, when her thyroid levels have been optimized for 3 months, if symptoms linger, other tests can be done to figure out what else could be causing them.
You're right midwest. I am acting like such a mom! LOL.

I won't even suggest! I promise. I will be an I will give the new guy a chance. I always have a second opinion here on Health Boards, right??

I wouldn't even know WHICH to suggest. And getting her to feel better is what is most important. I'll just be keeping a real close watch on him.
Just to be sure!

Thanks for all of your help! ♥♥♥ It has helped me out considerably and she is feeling much better than when she was alone.

Last edited by starryGal09; 08-29-2009 at 03:16 PM.

Old 08-29-2009, 03:21 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Awww... I'm "such" a mom, too. But my DD won't allow me to help her! She's 33 and has been diagnosed hypothyroid like me. But she doesn't have the discipline it takes to follow through treatment, what with the office visits and labwork and time off work to do them. A few years ago, she saw my doc, took Armour for a few months, then lost interest. She most recently saw an endo last spring, got her prescription, was feeling so much better. Then she quit going... again!
~~ sigh ~~

I know your DD will do so much better with you standing beside her.

Old 08-29-2009, 03:32 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

kids. gotta love em.

I know stubbornness is hereditary, though--they get it from their dads!!!

Closed Thread