It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2009, 05:23 PM   #1
(female)

Nichole87 HB User
My test results

Hello,
I had my hormones tested because I'm 22 years old and I have acne and very little volume in my skin. I also have what appears to be premature aging with fine lines sagging and discoloration and photosensitivity. I heard hormones can cause this in some people.

Also, I don't know if the two are related I also have cognitive problems with my memory, attention, and depression

My endocrinologist said my results were all normal but I wanted to check here first.

I didn't think I was suppose to eat because of the glucose and insulin tests so I hadn't eaten until the evening before these tests were taken so my stomache was pretty empty that morning. I'm not sure if the effects all the results or not.

Here they are:

Glucose fasting: Me: 89
Reference range: 70-99 (that my doctor was going by)
Units: mg/dL

Cortisol: Me: 6.5
REF. range: AM 6-23 PM 2-12
units: ug/dL

ACTH: Me: 14
REF. range: 5-46
units: pg/mL

Insulin, serum: Me: 6.0
REF. range: 1.9-23
Units: uIU/mL

Testosterone LC: Me: 27
REF. range: 11-59 Postmenopausal: 6-25
units: ng/dL

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks

Old 08-28-2009, 06:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: My test results

Your cortisol is pretty low. This can be from hypothyroidism as can your other symptoms. Any chance you can get some thyroid tests done? Specifically the Free T3, Free T4 and the antibody tests, TPO-Ab and TG-Ab. I would also recommend you test your vitamin D, B12 and ferritin levels.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2009, 06:59 PM   #3
(female)

Nichole87 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelina View Post
Your cortisol is pretty low. This can be from hypothyroidism as can your other symptoms. Any chance you can get some thyroid tests done? Specifically the Free T3, Free T4 and the antibody tests, TPO-Ab and TG-Ab. I would also recommend you test your vitamin D, B12 and ferritin levels.
Hello Javelina,
Thank you so much for your response!
I had some test done in June and one of them was to test my B12 and vitamin D.
I tested 392 Reference range: pg/ml 180-914

Vitamin D: 20.0 Ref range: 32.0-80.0 ng/ml
I'm now on a Vitamin D supplement of 50000 once a week.

Last March a dermatologist did some tests and some of the things she tested were Ferritin which was 18.1 Reference range: 10-300 ng/ml

TSH: 0.630 Ref. range : 0.40-4.6 uIU/ML
Free T4: 0.91 Ref. range: 0.61-1.12 ng/dl

So I should ask about the Free T3 and antibodys?

Old 08-28-2009, 09:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Your Free t4 is at about 59% of range so that's not too bad. But I'd still take a look at your free T3 as well just to confirm.

You are very low in Ferritin and need to suppliment to bring your levels up to around 70-90. I'm of the opinion that the Vitamin D3 is a better suppliment than the D2 you are currently taking. It's fairly inexpensive over the counter and you can take 6000iu a day or even a bit more since you are so deficient. B12 should be up above 550 so I would recommend you take sublingual B12 2000mcg or more.

It could be that your vitamin deficiencies are what the main problem is here but, again, I'd confirm with a free T3. Your cortisol is a bit low for the am reading when it should be higher so that is something that might point to thyroid. And if you can convince your doc to order up the antibody tests I'd go for it too. Good luck!

Old 09-09-2009, 07:57 PM   #5
(female)

Nichole87 HB User

Hello,
Thanks for your replying!
I'm getting my blood drawn for the Free T3 test on friday.
I asked his assistant about the antibody and she didn't really know what I was talking about. Is it the antibody for the thyroid?

Old 09-10-2009, 10:42 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes, the TPO is Thyroid Peroxidaise antibody and the TG is Thyroglobulin antibody. Both are autoimmune antibodies against the thyroid. Always good to get them tested if you suspect thyroid issues.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:54 PM   #7
(female)

Nichole87 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelina View Post
Yes, the TPO is Thyroid Peroxidaise antibody and the TG is Thyroglobulin antibody. Both are autoimmune antibodies against the thyroid. Always good to get them tested if you suspect thyroid issues.

I'm very angry! I called last week about getting the two thyroid antibodys added to the Free T3 test and my doctors assistant finally got back to me and told me that they won't even test the Free T3, not what they told me last time we spoke. I tried to tell his assistant that I will pay for the test and I would really feel better if I had the T3 to make the tests of my thyroid complete. I'm now going to look for a new primary care physician.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:38 PM   #8
(female)

Nichole87 HB User

Hello,
Sorry about the ranting post I left last!

I found another doctor and she ordered the T3 test.
The results were:

Free T3: 2.64 Reference range: 2.4-4.2 pg/ml

They also tested my Free T4 and TSH again.

Free T4: 0.95 Ref. range: 0.61-1.27 ng/DL

TSH: 1.00 Ref. range: 0.40-4.6 uIU/mL

(Based on in-house reference range study)

Old 10-13-2009, 07:39 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well you're "officially" hypo with these labs. Your Free T3 is only at 13% of its range when it should be up near the top. Your FT4 is still about 52% but that should be higher, in the top third of range. This explains your symptoms. Did you have any luck finding someone to run the antibody tests?

What you need is a T3 and T4 thyroid hormone replacement, either with natural desiccated thyroid or synthetic T3/T4 meds. I have no idea what the availability is in Turkey and I think your challenge right now is finding a doctor who will even prescribe for you, given your "normal" TSH. Keep looking and pushing for treatment. Good luck!

Old 10-14-2009, 11:06 PM   #10
(female)

Nichole87 HB User

Hello Javelina!
Thank you so much for your replying and for your help! I was in Turkey when I first registered but I'm back in the US now. Sorry I keep forgetting to change that lol.

My TSH is normal but the T4 and T3 should be higher?
What can I do to convince the doctors to take a second look?
I called a university hospital and a doctor is suppose to be reviewing my results.

I haven't been able to get the antibody tests yet

Old 10-15-2009, 08:04 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

This is the most frustrating part of this, you have to find a doctor who actually knows that TSH isn't important for hypo sufferers and who knows how to read the free T3/T4 tests and listen to his/her patient. He or she should also test your ferritin, vitamin D and B12 levels. It's also good to test cortisol levels with a 24 hr saliva test.
You will need to be persistent and not settle for inferior care and treatment. Often doctors who prescribe natural thyroid hormones will be somewhat more open-minded and up on the latest thryoid care so asking local pharmacists for referrals might be helpful.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:16 AM   #12
(female)

Nichole87 HB User

Thanks for your reply!
This is going to sound like a weird question, Is there a way I can show the endocrinologist the range that your looking at? Like, is there range that I can print out and show them that I don't match what is normal?

Old 10-16-2009, 07:00 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

That's a good question and unfortunately there are very few clinical studies that will back up the mostly anecdotal claims that we are not all healthy if we are simply within these reference ranges. Everyone has a different setpoint in the free T3 and free T4 ranges that works for them. If you have hypothyroid symptoms and you are low in these reference ranges then you need more thyroid hormones, pure and simple.

In the old days doctors didn't have all these lab tests so they dosed thyroid hormones based on the patient's symptoms and increased the dose until the symptoms resolved. Now we have "paint by numbers" doctors who are trained to only look at arbitrary labs and ignore or deny the patient's symptoms are lingering hypothyroidism. Since we continue to be sick we are prescribed a whole host of drugs to symptomatically treat all our symptoms.

All you can do is ask the doctor for treatment and if he refused then move on to find one who will treat. There are many books and websites written by doctors and patients and patient advocates out there that back up these claims but these are not clinical studies and many doctors will simply dismiss them.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:46 PM   #14
(female)

Nichole87 HB User

Thanks for your reply Javelina!
Can the hypothyroism ever be cured or will it require treatment for the rest of my life?

Also,
In my first post can you tell if my testosterone and adrenal look normal?

Sorry for all the questions!

Old 10-17-2009, 09:30 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

The only way to "cure" hypothyroidism is if it stems from an iodine deficiency, in which case supplimenting iodine will correct the problem. An iodine loading test can tell you if you are deficient. Otherwise, whether it be from an autoimmune process or just unknown (idiopathic), your hypo state will likely be with you forever and you will need to suppliment hormones for life.

Your testosterone is well within normal limits for your age. Generally we look at the adrenals and thyroid and correct them first and then look at the sex hormones, as they often will correct once the main glands are treated.

I think your cortisol levels were quite low for an AM draw, right at the bottom of range. You need to confirm by ordering a diurnal saliva cortisol test online to see if you have adrenal fatigue. If this is the case you need to treat your adrenals first, before starting on thyroid hormones or you thyroid therapy won't work well

Closed Thread