It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2009, 06:43 PM   #1
(female)

cowchick HB User
Question New here and need info

Hi,
This is my first post so I hope I am doing this right. My name is Lisa and I was just just diagnosed with hypothyroidism on 8/13/09. My doctor started me on Levothyroxin 50 mcg. My labs are listed below. Is the level he started me on seem right to you all?

TSH - 9.27 Reference Range is 0.3-4.2
T4 Free - 0.629 Reference Range is 0.93-1.7
T3 Total - 1.45 Reference Range is 0.8-2.0

Thanks so much,
Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2009, 09:28 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
Re: New here and need info

You're very much on the hypoT side. It's best to start medication on a fairly low dose to avoid unwanted side effects that can occur when medication is started with too high a dose. It's very possible this dose isn't enough for your needs but after a while on this dose and control labs you can decide what the next step is. You should have your Free T3 taken - those total levels are inaccurate. So what's the plan with your follow ups?

Last edited by FinnMaid; 08-29-2009 at 09:29 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2009, 09:40 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

TC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB User

Welcome Lisa This is a great place for information and support. This thyroid journey is one all its own. Yes, as FinnMaid said, get your free T3 checked, and do let us know how you're doing! With treatment you will get better! That's the good news! It can take awhile to get your levels right, so hang in there

Old 08-29-2009, 09:50 AM   #4
(female)

cowchick HB User

Hi,
Thanks so much for your response to my post. My Doc wanted me to retest in four weeks, which will be around Sept. 11th. I will ask about getting the T3 Free instead of the Total T3. I do not understand what the difference is yet but I am trying to learn. Have you ever had Myxedema?

Gods Blessings On You,
Lisa

Old 08-29-2009, 02:43 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowchick View Post
My Doc wanted me to retest in four weeks, which will be around Sept. 11th. I will ask about getting the T3 Free instead of the Total T3. I do not understand what the difference is yet but I am trying to learn. Have you ever had Myxedema?
That's quite soon enough - usually labs are taken 6-8 weeks from the beginning of the medication and dose adjustments (so it doesn't hurt if you have them taken a bit later).

You want to know the free T3 because that tells you how much of your T3 is actually available for use. The same goes for T4.

I believe I did have some after I had started medication - suddenly I had like 4 inches extra on my waist and a JLo booty (or that's what my common law husband thought ) - I don't think it was because of the medication though - I just went HypoT so fast the meds couldn't keep up. It lasted for like a month or so and vanished by itself within a couple of weeks.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 08-29-2009 at 02:49 PM.

Closed Thread