It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2009, 11:02 AM   #1
(female)

Lesliean HB User
Help with my numbers, please...

TSH=.734(.45-4.5)/freeT3=1.8(2.3-4.2)/freeT4=.55(.61-1.76)

I take 2.5 grains Nature-thyroid and new Naturopath (old one just moved away and I like this center) upped it to 3 but reluctantly because she said she wanted to find the underlying cause of the suppressed TSH and thought the TSH would just down regulate further. I don't care. I feel like 'death warmed over'. I printed out Shames "Tyranny of the Test" from thyroid.info to give to her in three weeks when we meet to discuss the results of the antibody test (in next week) and the IgG food allergy test results (she suspects corn, soy, diary).

Can you explain to me why it is ok to give more thyroid when the TSH is low? Also, what might be behind this? Anything else I can print out to give her? What is the usual dose of Nature-thyroid? She seems to think 3 grains is really high. What can I give her to make her more comfortable treating me?

Thanks for the words of wisdom. I know you've all been through the same dismissive treatment. If someone told me this fatigue that has plagued me since I gave birth 20 years ago would never end I would not be able to go on.

I take DHEA, bioidentical progesterone (52), iodine 3mg a day, vitamins, am a health nut, athlete, personal trainer. Am gluten intolerant. I have dry skin and hair, low bp (under 100), low ht rate (42), low temp (below 97.5). I don't feel low adrenal. Just low thyroid.

I was feeling good two years ago when I first started seeing the naturopath and she upped my thyroid from 100 Synthyroid to 2.5 grains Armour but the symptoms have been coming back over the last 5 mouths. I've also been having a general inflammatory response: allergies, sore joints, sore throat, menapause, waking at night.

Thanks,
Leslie

Last edited by moderator2; 08-29-2009 at 02:08 PM. Reason: moved numbers from title into your post

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2009, 01:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: TSH=.734(.45-4.5)/freeT3=1.8(2.3-4.2)/freeT4=.55(.61-1.76)HELP

It always shocks me how many natural thyroid prescribers don't understand that the T3 component is a TSH suppressor. Properly dosed, natural thyroid almost always suppresses TSH to near zero. My own has been no higher than .02 for over 5 years, but my MD understands the basics of T3 and watches my free Ts and symptoms to arrive at a dose. If FT4/FT3 are neither higher than around 70-75% of their ranges, it doesn't matter where TSH is.

Scan the following thread to post #37 where mgbrook explains the mechanism of T3 causing TSH suppression. There are references you can print out and guide your naturopath to, in case he/she is interested in learning a vital basic of T4/T3 thyroid treatment:
http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=597479&page=2

Old 08-30-2009, 10:50 AM   #3
(female)

Lesliean HB User
Re: Help with my numbers, please...

Thank you Midwest so much. I didn't realize my post title would change and always thought it was a + to have a good descriptor in the title and those results are catchy, aren't they?

You made me cry I was so grateful to have you respond. It makes all the sense in the world and my naturopath seems much more determined in finding a reason my thyroid is being attacked in treating the darned thing.

I've read its the T3 that suppresses the TSH but when I mentioned it she said she didn't know. I will print the posting #37 and bring it in too. Hopefully it will help her with all her hypo patients.

Still looking for the answers to the other questions. How often do we find the underlying trigger? What can it be? How often is it food allergies? What's the normal nature-thyroid range?
Thanks,
Leslie

Last edited by Lesliean; 08-30-2009 at 02:27 PM.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Most cases of hypothyroidism in industrialized countries are caused by Hashimoto's thyroiditis, a disease caused by autoantibodies which destroy the thyroid gland little by little. Have you ever had TPO and Tg antibody tests or been diagnosed with Hashi's? If that's what you have - and odds are you do - there's very little reason to go looking for any "triggers" because your gland is damaged and can't make its own hormone anymore. The only thing to do is to replace your missing hormones in the optimal amounts and just forget about the cause, because Hashi's can't be fixed.

Food allergies have little to nothing to do with hypothyroidism, although some researchers theorize that sometimes gluten intolerance can trigger the autoimmune response which causes various autoimmune diseases. If you happen to be gluten intolerant, it's wise to consider adopting the diet for that for general health purposes, but it isn't likely to reverse the Hashi's that causes thyroid failure. Again, the only thing to do is to replace the missing hormones in the proper amounts for your needs.

I'm not sure what you mean by "What's the normal nature-thyroid range?" If you can explain, I'll take a stab at the answer.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:47 PM   #5
(female)

Lesliean HB User

thank you midwest!
What it the normal amount of Nature-throid or Armour that people take? I am on 3 grains now and the naturopath seems to think that is a lot.

Now I have a new question. My antibodies came back negative. Strange. My TSH was .75 one day and two days later 2.05. Strange. Is the fluctuating TSH when the free T3 and free T4 stays the same (below normal number) indicative of anything?
Thanks,
Leslie

Closed Thread