It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2009, 03:05 PM   #1
(female)

Slim1984 HB User
OTC Thyroid Essentials

I was told that Condition Specific Swąnson Thyroid Essentials pills help make your thyroid work at a healthy level regardless of if you're hypo, hyper, or if it's just not working right..

I'm apparently not allowed to post a link, so if anyone has the time, and can Google it, I'd appreciate it.

However what I probably need is to lower mine (haven't been to an Endo, and please don't tell me to see one)

All the reviews for this product say something like this
"The product gave me tremendous boost of energy for the whole day"

and it seems to be giving them a BOOST, as opposed to slowing them down... could it be that they are all hypo? Could this pill still regulate you and slow down a person that is hyper??

My dad had me take it for a few weeks. I did seem to have more energy...but I did gain like 2 pounds. However, after I stopped taking them, I lost the weight. The weight loss could have been from something else though.

All I want out of this thread are opinions regarding this product.

PLEASE GIVE ME OPINIONS..

Is this pill supposed to speed you up? Slow you down? or make you normal regardless of where you are?

Last edited by Slim1984; 08-29-2009 at 03:32 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2009, 03:20 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

starryGal09 HB UserstarryGal09 HB User
Re: OTC Thyroid Essentials

oooh, I'll be keeping an eye on this post to be sure!! I would like to find if there are some supplements that hypos/hashis can take - such as this one, and does anyone find relief?

looks like all the necessary goodies are in there, too! Thanks.

Last edited by starryGal09; 08-29-2009 at 03:21 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2009, 03:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I don't see anything magic in the ingredient list, and certainly nothing that would slow thyroid function. It's just standard B vitamins and minerals. Selenium and L-tyrosine are the two specifically thyroid ingredients, raw materials the gland uses to make hormone; but even those probably wouldn't do much good for a gland ravaged by Hashi's antibodies.

Don't know a thing about the coleus ingredient and suspect it provides little practical benefit.

Starry... Get a copy of Living Well With Hypothyroidism. It provides information about adjuncts that might help along with medical hormone replacement.

Last edited by midwest1; 08-29-2009 at 03:36 PM.

Old 08-29-2009, 03:47 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

I must remember to remove thyroid helping vitamins from shopping list--some of those supplements can cost ya!
But I am definitely sticking with the fluoride free water.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:24 PM   #5
(female)

Slim1984 HB User

So you don't think it should effect me either way?

All the reviews on that site seem to claim they have more energy and weight loss.

So me (as a POTENTIAL Hyper)...I assumed I shouldn't take it anymore.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Take all those testamonials with a grain of non-iodized salt. Haven't you ever considered that the reviews have been made by the folks who sell the product?

I won't say take it or not take it. I just wouldn't expect too much out of it if you do.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:41 PM   #7
(female)

Slim1984 HB User

I didn't think they were made up because I can't even find out what the product claims to do. My family's research said it's for thyroid health and correct functioning. I don't think the product claims to help people with Hypo, or Hyper. directly. It's supposed to just aid in proper functioning. So when I read all the replies claiming it helped their Hypo, or sped them up, or helped them lose weight, etc.... I figured it would be bad for me to take IF I actually am Hyper. Understand my logic?

Old 08-29-2009, 11:04 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm looking at an ad in an open window side by side with this one right now. It says in no uncertain terms the product is for "low thyroid", "hypothyroidism", "underactive", and "nonfunctioning" glands. Nowhere does it even mention the possibility that the gland is capable of overfunctioning, and nowhere does it say that the product treats hyperthyroidism.

Short answer - It's supposed to "speed you up".

Old 08-30-2009, 06:59 AM   #9
(female)

Slim1984 HB User

I guess my dad's research of the product sucks haha. I appreciate you help!

Old 08-30-2009, 07:45 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

golfhat HB Usergolfhat HB Usergolfhat HB User

Well,, your original Post just confuses me, and I know you feel confused.

Why do you say the weight loss could be from something else? Did you diet or get sick?

In order to know if a product works for you or has side effects, you must do NOTHING different during the time you test it.

In other words, do not diet, or exercise more than you usually do for a month or so. Don't take any other meds/vitamins at that time.

Otherwise you will not know what is making you gain weight, or lose weight, give you energy or make you sluggish.

If you make too many changes all at once you can't know what the product did for you. See?

Last edited by golfhat; 08-30-2009 at 07:47 AM.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:08 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Give it a whirly at least three to four weeks. Keep a journal. See if there are any changes good or bad. I mean if they are BAD you may have to stop. But try it.
I am always the guinea pig in my house for others. For I am the most sensitive. My head will tell me immediately if it's a go. Or my stomach. Good Luck!!!

(You should see my cabinet of supplements and homeopathy remedies that I swear by! I just can't handle anything with large amounts of chromium. Nasty nasty terrible headaches)

Let's us know what you find.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:59 PM   #12
(female)

Slim1984 HB User

I meant it could have been nerves or from healthier eating. I've ALWAYS been very thin and could NEVER gain weight. But when I lost a few in a week, we thought it may have been from the pills. I did take them 2-3 weeks. Either way, I've decided not to take them. I don't think they would slow me down at all, and don't see any way they could help me gain weight.

Closed Thread