It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2009, 10:50 AM   #1
(female)

Lesliean HB User
TSH=.734(.45-4.5)/freeT3=1.8(2.3-4.2)/freeT4=.55(.61-1.76)HELP

I posted yesterday and eagerly awaited a helpful response and my posting disappeared. I felt like crying. What happened?

I saw a new naturopath last week (old one moved-same great center) and really like her even though she reluctantly upped my nature-thyroid from 2.5gr to 3. She said I will just down regulate and she needs to uncover what is causing the underlying problem.

I've been plagued by fatigue since having children 20 years ago, began treatment around 2005 after aggressively looking for a provider who would adopt the new AACE standards from 02. I felt better immediately but have gradually increased thyroid amounts over the last 3 years. Antibody testing at that time was negative. The TSH was normal 6 months ago at a health fair but only now tested the free levels so picked up that I was way deficient, probably for the last 6 months.

Naturopath did antibody tests (back next week) and IgG to determine if there is a food sensitivity other than gluten (I am gluten intolerant). I have all the physical hallmarks of hypo again and can't go on like this-just really can't.

I'm a health nut, athlete, personal trainer, take DHEA (6mg), bioidentical progesterone cream, iodine (3mg), multi vit as well as extra D, C, E, Fish oil. I have had a generalized inflammatory response over the last 6 months of allergies, sinus, sore throat, sore joints, wake up at night, menapausal symptoms (age 52). More than anything complete bottomed out fatigue. Life ain't worth it like this.

Shouldn't the naturopath be most concerned about putting me in the normal range of free T3 and free T4 and listening to my symptoms? What is a normal nature-thyroid strength? She says 2.5 is a high dose. What could the underlying condition be and how often do we actually find it? Why is TSH suppression ok? What can I bring the doc to ease her mind about just treating me with the right amount of thyroid. Should she be giving me anything else? I copied out Shames, "Tyranny of the Test". Is there anything else to give her? I'm currently reading Thyroid Power. What else should I read?
Thanks,
Leslie

Last edited by Lesliean; 08-30-2009 at 10:56 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2009, 11:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: TSH=.734(.45-4.5)/freeT3=1.8(2.3-4.2)/freeT4=.55(.61-1.76)HELP

It didn't disappear. It's down the list a way, titled "Help with my numbers, please..." I answered you there. Here's my answer again, just for the record.

It always shocks me how many natural thyroid prescribers don't understand that the T3 component is a TSH suppressor. Properly dosed, natural thyroid almost always suppresses TSH to near zero. My own has been no higher than .02 for over 5 years, but my MD understands the basics of T3 and watches my free Ts and symptoms to arrive at a dose. If FT4/FT3 are neither higher than around 70-75% of their ranges, it doesn't matter where TSH is.

Scan the following thread to post #37 where mgbrook explains the mechanism of T3 causing TSH suppression. There are references you can print out and guide your naturopath to, in case he/she is interested in learning a vital basic of T4/T3 thyroid treatment (You have to C&P this URL into your browser window; it isn't clickable):
http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=597479&page=2

Old 08-30-2009, 11:11 AM   #3
(female)

mattie75 HB User

I understand the desperation I hear in your post. I wish I was knowledgable enough to answer your questions as many sound like mine. I really am tired and worn out from this and have days also that I think I can't go on. When I get that way I try to find something to get my mind off of it if only for just a few minutes - I know it is hard and my desperation comes in I just want to know what is wrong and lets quit trying to put bandaids on the little stuff. I wish you luck in you search and there are many on here who feel you pain so to speak. I wish we could all just get "fixed" and life would be good again.
Mattieann

Old 08-30-2009, 11:26 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

Your dose of Nature-throid isn't that high. I'm up to 3.5 gr and still working towards optimization. You are seriously hypo and relief of symptoms is more important than the TSH. My TSH is suppressed to .04 now.
You might want to check your adrenal function with a saliva test as well to see if you have low cortisol but with those really low Free T numbers Hypothyroidism is definitely going on.
If you want to PM me I can send you more sources of info about this. Hope this helps!

Closed Thread