It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2009, 12:38 PM   #1
(female)

Galsal59 HB User
Formula for optimal function?

I'm curious and not sure where to find this. What formula gets used to calculate the percentage of functionality in this whole Thyroid scheme?

Thanks!

Sal

Old 08-30-2009, 04:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: Formula for optimal function?

I guess I don't understand the question. I don't think there is an exact formula. We test our free T levels and try to raise our hormones until we feel better. Everyone is different and has different amounts or hormones that work best for them. Maybe you can be more specific?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2009, 05:20 PM   #3
(female)

Galsal59 HB User

Hmmm How then do some answer about how the TSH or T3 or T5 working at a percentage level? That's what I meant. Sorry if I said it badly.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ok, I understand what you're getting at now

The two main hormones our thyroids put out are T3 and T4. Therefore, when we become hypothyroid these levels drop in our bloodstream. So we order the free T3 and free T4 labs to see what our levels are and whether or not we need treatment. These labs have ranges and most of us find that we are hypo if we are in the lower two thirds of the range. So if my labs look like this (which they did, not so long ago):
FT4 -- .86 (.61-1.76) 22%
FT3 -- 2.7 (2.3-4.2) 21%

My free T4 is only 22% of range and I need to try to get it up above at least 50-75% to feel better. My free T3 is only at 21% and it, too needs to be much higher. Just exactly how high in range you need to get is an individual thing and therefore we go by symptom relief as our main guage of wellness.

The TSH is not something that we hypos pay as much attention to. It's often used to mis-diagnose and mis-treat us and mine was never out of range even when I was raging hypo. The clinical guidelines most mainstream docs follow tell them to watch TSH levels and keep them within range at all costs, mostly to the detriment of a patient's well being.

Hope this helps!

Old 08-30-2009, 05:53 PM   #5
(female)

Galsal59 HB User

Yes, that's what I was talking about Javelina. What I was wondering is how you calculate the percentages. Was going to calculate my own to see where it stood.

Still haven't yet picked up the Free T3/4 tests yet but will this week. Want them in my hands before see doc on 8th.

As much as I don't really want there to be a huge issue with my thyroid, it would be nice to put a name to a problem that's been there for YEARS and YEARS.

I do recognize all of us are different and there's no set level we will all be good at as if we were clones. Just trying to wrap my brain around things.

I find it unique that where I always thought I'd show as hypo, that now I read the lower numbers are more indicative of hyper. That about blew my mind. Yet, in a way it would make sense...to a point that is.

History - multiple (as in over 4) miscarriages, difficulty even getting pregnant let alone carrying one for several years (thankfully I have one child, now grown), intolerant to heat, a bit light and highly infrequent menstrual periods, increased bowel movements, have always been a rather nervous or anxious person, a unique factor is that usually docs who haven't seen me before look very, very carefully at my eyes which have always been determined to not actually be bulging. Were I to really be hyper, I'd be one of those overweight kind that find it very difficult to lose. The only thing works for me is lower carb and south beach and soon as I start slowly adding back in some carbs I stop losing although at least don't gain it back.

Thanks for your great support to so many.

Sal

Old 08-30-2009, 06:51 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Did you ever get tested for antibodies for Hashi's and Graves? With your symptoms it makes sense that one or even both might be at play here. If you are hyperthyroid then you will very likely show with a low TSH and high range free T levels. But with Hashi's your TSH could be most anywhere. Not very helpful, I know, but hopefully your labwork will give you some good clues to figure out what is going on. Your symptoms sure sound a lot like hyperthyroid.

Here's how you can figure out where in the range you fall (thanks to Midwest!)

1. Subtract the bottom of the range from the top
2. Subtract the bottom of the range from your value
3. Divide #2 by #1 and turn the fraction into a percentage

Old 08-31-2009, 09:59 AM   #7
(female)

Galsal59 HB User

Thanks! No, not been tested for antibodies...yet. No one will do so without what they feel is "justification".

So, IF I've done the math correctly, here's what I came up with. Looks like TSH dropped in a six month period.

8-09
TSH 3rd Gen - 1.121 0.400-5.500 14.14%
T3 Total - 0.84 0.70 - 1.79 12.84%
Thyroxine - 6.8 4.5 - 12.0 30.67%

3-09
TSH 1.314 with a normal range of .46 to 4.7 20.14%

Thanks for the support!

Sal

Old 08-31-2009, 12:47 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

The TSH really isn't that important to figure where in the range your value falls. We hypos find that TSH is not a very helpful test for the most part. Also the T3 Total and the Thyroxine tests aren't optimal for good diagnosis and treatment.

Better to go by the Free T3 and Free T4 levels. They are the actual amount of hormones you have. See if you can get those labs as well as the antibodies.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:01 PM   #9
(female)

Galsal59 HB User

I'm picking up copies tomorrow of the Free T3 and 4. Have to be at the VA hospital tomorrow to have a pregnancy test in order for them to prescribe Chantix for me, regardless if it's not a possibility due to lack of opportunity.

Will see the Dr on 9/8 and review about antibody testing.

Will report in when have them to discuss.

Thanks for the support you give to so many!

Sal

Closed Thread