It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2009, 03:04 AM   #1
(male)

monocotz HB User
Having high thyroglobulin..

I just got my blood test results and i got high Thyroglobulin and slightly high free-T4

Tg 75.9 ng/mL (ref 1.45-27.7)
Free T4: 1.3 (ref 0.69-1.14)

but other readings seem normal and i feel no symtomes for hyperthyrodism..

Free T3: 3.25 (ref 2.6-3.7)
TSH: 1.29 (ref .44-3.83)
Anti-Tg: 0.0
Anti-TPO: 0.63 (ref 0-10 IU/mL)

Would anyone please kindly give an suggestion??

Old 08-31-2009, 11:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User
Re: Having high thyroglobulin..

If you are not experiencing symptoms, why was your thyroid tested? Is there a story behind this?

Those are sort of unusual results because when the FT4 is elevated, the TSH is supposed to be suppressed to well below normal but I have seen one's like that before - mine. I do have a tendency towards hyperthyroidism but not on a continuous basis. It took many years to find out that I have a disorder called resistance to thyroid hormone, primarly at the pituitary level which is why I experience symptoms. Some people have it and never have symptoms. Some people have it and are hypothyroid. Those test results can also point to a problem with the pituitary but that isn't often the case.

I'd be interested in hearing more about you and how all this came about.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2009, 07:20 PM   #3
(male)

monocotz HB User

actually i volunteered to partcipate in a whole blood test (hemat. renal, enzymes, electrolytes, tumor markers, glucose lipid, thyroid, etc) for establishing reference range..

then it turn out i got some readings above the ref: lipoprotein (75, ref 0-62.4) though my total cholesterol / HDL-C or LDL-C are normal. And estrogen (48, ref 11-45) with my testosterone normal.

but these minor exceedings are not as annoying as my Thyroglobulin, which triples the reference range...

Thyroid issues (and physiology) are definited beyond my knowledge......
i did some little searches, but it seems weird to have only Tg elevated, and to such an extend...

Old 09-01-2009, 03:05 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User

It's not just your thyroglobulin level that's interesting. It's the elevated FT4 level too when it's combined with the normal TSH reading.

First off, it's nothing to panic about. It's something that needs to be looked into though. You should have your TSH, FT4 and FT3 retested to see if this is a consistent pattern. I bet if a doctor feels your neck, it will be determined that you have a goiter too (the high thyroglobulin level). Thyroglobulin itself is not harmful, it's just a marker. It's the stuff that sits inside the thyroid waiting to be filled with thyroid hormone but that's kinda the simple explanation. My thyroglobulin level's at 83 right now. It fluctuates between about 75 and 120. It's not a test that's normally run but my primary is kinda fascinated by it but over the years I've learned that symptoms are a much more important marker.

The main reason to check it out is to avoid improper treatment. A lot of doctors would see that FT4 level and immediately want to treat for regular hyperthyroidism with either drugs, rai or surgery. That's not a good idea and can really bounce you around if it's not thoroughly checked out first.

What I would suggest is that you take those results to your regular doctor and ask him to rerun the thyroid hormone tests to verify them. Then hunt me up either here or via PM cause I don't always get a chance to check the board. I've done tons of research over many years on this subject and can help you out if you need it.

Helen

Closed Thread