It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2009, 08:56 AM   #1
(female)

Hashimotossucks HB User
Confused about diet

There seems to be a lot of conflicting articles on diet and Hashimoto's.
I am hoping someone can clear this up for me...

It seems everyone agrees soy is horrible for Hashimoto's, but do I need to stay away from gluten, wheat, dairy, yeast and sugar?

What about the effect of protein on the thyroid and hypothalamus and pituitary glands?

What's left? What do you eat? Is there a website with a list of foods I can eat that won't worsen my hashimoto's?

Old 08-31-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: Confused about diet

I don't blame you for being confused. Everywhere you look and read there are varying opinions and it's really hard to sort it all out (if not impossible). People get really passionate about their paticular diet or suppliments and what is good for one might not be so for another.

This is what I think and what I personally try to do.

Avoid Soy and any phytoestrogen producing foods (flax). I think our nation is way too heavy on soy additives in many of our foods and this isn't a good thing. I can't get any good info on whether or not the oils from soy and flax are bad or not but most of what I read suggests not.

Avoid Omega 6 (Linoleic acid) as it suppressed thyroid. I hear over and over again that virgin coconut oil is the best for people with thyroid disease.

Avoid goitrogenic foods like raw cruciferous veggies, (again) soy and even things like strawberries, peanuts and spinach. This is a bummer to me because I really like these foods

Get tested for celiac disease because many autoimmune diseases go hand-in-hand. The tests aren't 100% fail safe and if you really think you have a problem go gluten-free for a few months to be sure.

I'm not convinced about the whole candida and yeast thing but that's because I don't have any evidence that it's occurring in me. Others swear by it. I think we all need a balanced diet that includes complex carbohydrates, proteins, and good fats and try to avoid overly processed foods whenever possible. I do my best to keep it simple.

Last edited by javelina; 08-31-2009 at 01:43 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2009, 11:33 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User
Re: Confused about diet

I've also recently discovered that almonds cause problems for my thyroid, both raw and in almond butter. I can't eat peanuts either, but have found sunflower butter that works well.

Closed Thread