It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2009, 08:04 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

CW1984 HB User
Worrying myself sick over thyroid nodules

I noticed swollen lymphnodes on the right side of my neck back in march that didn't go away so I saw an ENT in june who noticed my thyroid was swollen and ordered a thyroid ultrasound and CT scan of my neck. The CT scan came back normal just showing "shotty cervical nodes" and thyroid ultrasound showed a multinodular thyroid. The ENT said we should just keep an eye on it. In july, at my yearly checkup, my doctor noticed the enlarged thyroid and ordered bloodwork- it came back abnormal and she sent me to an Endo. The Endo diagnosed me with post partum thyroiditis (had a baby in Nov. '08 and never had thyroid issues before then). He started me on .75 of Levox (something Levox) and said he'll test my blood again in October and adjust dosage as necessary and do another thyroid ultrasound.

So I've had my regular doctor, 2 ENTs (yes, 2) and my Endo tell me that they do not suspect that I would have thyroid cancer but I'm still worrying myself to death over it. I feel like they've all just missed something (crazy, I know).everything on my CT scan was normal-it even said my thyroid appeared normal. None of the nodules are over 1cm but I know the small ones can still be cancerous or I'm worried that they are growing or something. I sound crazy I know. My husband even has told me that I need to talk to go to counseling or talk to someone and relax. When I'm doing something to take my mind off the worrying, I feel fine but when I'm worrying about it, of course I feel bad and feel something in my throat.

Sorry to sound crazy. I'm just worried.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2009, 01:14 PM   #2
(female)

sandypaws HB User
Re: Worrying myself sick over thyroid nodules

I'd be worried too.
Have you told your doctors how stressed you are about it? They might be able to provide you with more information about what is specifically going on with you. Proper information can really empower you and make you feel more in control of what's happening to you.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:28 PM   #3
(female)

djh924 HB User

Keep in mind that 95% of thyroid nodules are benign! My understanding is that those that are cancerous are of a very slow growing type.

My endo told me that they can't do the fine needle aspiration on my nodules yet because they are under 1 cm. (getting there though with one at 9 mm.). That's why they do further ultrasounds at 6 month or 1 year intervals - to see if they are growing, and if so if they are large enough to biopsy. If you are that stressed about it though you really should make another appt. so you can get things clarified from your Dr..

Good luck!
Denise

Old 09-01-2009, 03:34 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

don't worry.....the presence of multiple nodules is less worrysome than one nodule. get the book thyroid for dummies, it will ease your mind

Old 09-01-2009, 03:57 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

CW1984 HB User

Thanks. When I got my thyroid ultrasound results back in July, I did call my ENT back b/c he initially said everything was fine. When I called him back, he said I basically have a "lumpy bumpy thyroid" and didn't see anything worrisome and will monitor them. My endo said even with a biopsy, he cant guarantee me 100% that they arent cancer but that by looking at the results, he is not concerned and will just monitor them and do another scan in October.

I'm really just a big hypochondriac I suppose. No one is my family has had any thyroid issues so I guess pregnancy did trigger it but lumps in my body freaks me out!

Old 09-01-2009, 05:35 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User

I know you're worried but this sounds like a Hashi kind of thyroid. I hear they are lumpy,bumpy,aren't they(can someone agree?) Did you have an antibody test? Like someone said multi nodules are usually benign. If they did a thyroid ultrasound on 20 people half of them would have nodules on their thyroid and not even know it. They are common. Ask your doc he sounds like he's not worried.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:46 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

CW1984 HB User

Yeah, I'm not sure why I wasn't diagnosed with Hashi's. Right now, they just say thyroiditis. I did have a complete thyroid test and the only number I got was 9 and was told the range is 3-5... I'm assuming that's the TSH? I'm trying not to worry! I just have to make it to Oct. for my followup.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:12 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

famnd HB User

Did your Docs thoroughly go over your potential risk factors? I have multinodule goiter too. I know the worry. But we have to find ways to tolerate it. I write in a journal which helps. Also, the ENT told me that if mine were the most agressive type of thyroid cancer, my lumps would have been huge by the time he saw me. The other types are usually slow growing.

Also, I find it helpful to devise a plan to deal with problems of any kind. Just state the problem & write down anything that would help you. You've taken the first step; reaching out to others on this board. Fam

Old 09-09-2009, 05:54 AM   #9
(female)

MissTwist HB User

OMG hun you sound exactly like me i had a baby 3 months ago and before i was even regant i noticed i had slightly swollon lymh glands in my neck anyways in worried me for ages but dr's said don't worry about it but a eyar later still not down and the dr said get a scan just to put my mind at rest anyway he noted my thyriod was slightly swollen and it turns out i have 3 small small nodules and some slightly noticeable lypmh nodes, anyways the radiogapher seemed to think it was all good nothing to worry abotu but i am waiting for the final word from my dr soon. but yeah like you i am totally paraniod i could be the worst and some how they have missed it or not tested enough.... but yeah i'm slightly paraniod about my helath, I don't make up sypmtoms but when i have them i do worry myself overly about them. It's not great way to live so try and get whatever tests done and then force myself to ebelive the test results that all is ok and then just keep an eye on things. All the best!

Old 09-09-2009, 07:21 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Don't beat yourself up for worrying. It is normal. When my first nodule appeared and then 4 and then 12 along with a goiter. I freaked out !!! I could not think straight for 3 months. I went to a total of 7 yes 7 Doctors. My Mother had thyroid cancer so all the Docs wanted to yank my thyroid.

That has been 3 years ago and many Ultra sounds later. I am calm about it but still wonder if I have something growing in my neck. I still get pressure and hoarseness. I have Hashi's so I am told and am on Armour Thyroid 4 Grains daily.

You will grow calmer as time passes and if you don't you can ask to have it out. Then you will have peace of mind. Vent to us on this board about your fears......it is safe and friendly here. This was my life vest my first year of nodules. I was scared to DEATH.

Good luck.......Oleander

Old 09-09-2009, 08:39 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

CW1984 HB User

Oleanser- so funny that you respond. I've been searching this board for other posts similar to mine and have come across many of your posts and thought what I have sounds exactly like you. I've been to 4 doctors and soon to be 5! I'm nuts! My husband is beyond annoyed with me about this. I saw 1 ENT who did the thyroid u/s and ct scan then a week later went to a different ENT for a second opinion, then saw my reg doc for a checkup that diagnosed my thyroiditis, then she sent me to an endo. I didn't really like that endo so I'm seeing a new one in October to retest my thyroid and adjust my meds as needed. I'm going to ask for a followup scan then too. All doctors so far have said that they aren't worried about the nodules as it apparently is a symptom of postpartum thyroiditis. Is that the same thing as Hashi's? I couldn't tell you about antibodies but I do know she did a full thyroid panel at my checkup-she just didn't give me those numbers. I think my TSH came back as 9. The endo started me out with .75mg Levox.

MissTwist- have you always had thyroid issues? Mine didn't come up until after my son was born. I assume this really started in March- that's when I noticed my swollen lymphnodes. I really haven't had any symptoms yet. I mean I get tired but I have a baby so I never thought about it being anything more. No one in my family has ever had thyroid issues so isn't it my luck that I get it! Were you diagnosed with thyroid disease? Or post partum thyroiditis?

Old 09-09-2009, 09:42 AM   #12
(female)

rockrat71 HB User

Hi there. I don't have any advice, but offer my empathy. I'm in a similar situation. I was diagnosed with autoimmune hypothyroiditis postpartum as well.

About 3 months post partum I started feeling awful after feeling great and dropping 35lbs after I had my baby. My fatigue was debilitating though and I was unable to function after a bit. At first I thought it was because I had a newborn but I soon realized something serious was going on. My TSH was crazy...99...when I was finally diagnosed. I have a high amount of the antibodies too which is indicative of Hashimoto's. My endo doesn't say Hashi though...he says autoimmune hypothryoiditis. My thyroid is lumpy too after an ultrasound. I also worry myself so sick that my husband becomes frustrated. I am right now on 125mcg of Levoxyl. I've gradually increased my dosage over the last 5 weeks and my TSH dropped down to 7 a couple weeks ago. I'm impatiently waiting for my dr. to call me with my latest labs from Friday to see where I am.

Anyhow, this is all new to me too. My daughter is just 8 months old. I think it is tough when you just have a baby and something like this happens. It's scary to think about! But all the reading I've done points that this is a very treatable disease and that the nodules are symptomatic of the disease. Best wishes to you!

Old 09-09-2009, 09:56 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

CW1984 HB User

Thankyou so much rockrat! That makes me feel better. I've had a hard time finding stories from others suffering from thid post partum so I've really been on edge. Of course I felt fine up until I realized I had nodules on my thyroid...then I started thinking that my thyroid is painful and that I can feel them growing. I sound like a nut, I know. I've really let it consume me way too much so I'm trying to take my mind off! I've really driven my husband nuts. Anytime I say "I have a question.." Before I can even get it out, he says, "C, you do not have cancer!!!!" Ha!

Old 09-09-2009, 10:09 AM   #14
(female)

MomInApril HB User

CW1984 you sound just like me! My husband is so annoyed with my obsession over my thyroid.

I had a baby on 1/31 (don't let my username fool ya - that was from when I was expecting my first). I am now curious about the postpartum autoimmune stuff. I have another post where I put all my bloodwork numbers & ultrasound results, but I have a single nodule (ugh) on the right side and my antibodies are at 175 which is high. I would hope if the baby had something to do with this they would have considered it.

I saw my regular doctor who had me go for the u/s & bloodwork, but also an ENT b/c I thought if the lump in my throat (which is what prompted me to see the doctor) was sinus related he'd be the one to help. Both the ENT & my general practitioner seemed to think it was nothing, and I am having a repeat u/s in 6 months to check on the nodule. I hate that I have one nodule b/c I know it's "better" to have more. Plus 3 of my dad's cousins had thyroid cancer. So I am constantly wondering if there is something awful growing in my neck that they're just letting grow. Plus my hair is falling out more than normal and that is alarming.

I was not diagnosed with Hashi's or anything - I have just been told to wait. I am seeing my ENT in a week about my sinuses and I am going to ask again about my neck and ask if seeing an endo would be worthwhile.

So many of my friends and family are telling me "I don't think there's anything wrong with you!" and that is the WORST. I think it makes everything that much worse, when you know something is wrong, the doctors tell me to wait, and everyone else thinks I'm fine. It's stressing me out big time. And then that's when my friends & family say the stress is causing my hair to fall out, me feel the lump, etc. Which may be - but I had that all before the stress.

GRR!! Know what I mean?! Anyway, I just wanted to post and say hi and that I know exactly how you feel.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:31 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

CW1984 HB User

Sorry you're going through this too. Hopefully reading about the other postpartum ladies makes you feel some better. Its put me at ease a bit. I HATE the "wait and see" thing. In the meantime, I feel like something monstrous is growing in my neck, like you said. I saw in your other post that you aren't even on meds? I agree with the others that you def need a doctor that will give u something. The ENT that ordered my scan just said "everything looks fine, don't worry, follow up in a few months" then I went to my regular doc for my yearly checkup and she said I needed meds NOW and sent me to an Endo the next day. I just let her pick one for me.

Hopefully you get the treatment you need. Goodluck! Keep us posted after your ENT visit next week!

Oh and the hair loss thing is horrible. Especially bc my 9 month old is at the hair pulling stage!! If it dangles in his face, he pulls!! So he gets handfuls!

Closed Thread