It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2009, 09:23 AM   #1
(female)

girlmtl HB User
Pregnant with elevated TSH.Pls advice,very worried =(

Hello everybody

I've been lurking for a while and decided to join in since i find this msg board very helpful.
I'm 16 weeks 4 days pregnant and since I got pregnant my TSH jumped.I've never had thyroid problems before and I've never had any hypo symptoms as well.
My first TSH at 9 weeks was 4.5.I retested at 12 weeks and it dropped a bit so it was 3.99.After 2 weeks my doctor decided to give me the lower dose of Synthroid so I'm taking a half of pill of Synthroid 25 mg.
I found it very low and wanted to pop the dose but none of the doctors I've been talking with allows me since I've started having high hearth rate ect.
I'm retesting my TSH levels by the end of this week.
Oh, yes - I forgot to mention , my T4 was in the high end of the normal range.It was 16 and the lab range was 10.4-19.

For now the pregnancy is going well but I'm worried what can happen to my baby if this lil dose of Synthroid don't lower my TSH.I know they can always increase the dose, but is there a chance that some damage has been already made?
Does anyone know what could be the worst thing to happen if my TSH stays around 3.99-4?
This is my first baby and I don't want to lose him/her.
Any advice/thought/opinion would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry for the long post and thanks a million

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2009, 01:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Pregnant with elevated TSH.Pls advice,very worried =(

Your T4 is more important than your TSH. However, your MD should be testing your free T4, not your total T4 as he has done. Standard thyroid monitoring for pregnancy is both TSH and free T4, not just TSH and not total T4. And free T4 needs to be well within the upper third of its range.

That said, your high TSH is an indication that you need more T4 than your gland is making right now. Without an accurate measurement of free T4, it's hard to say how much more you need, though. I can tell you that 12.5 is not a true, therapeutic dose. You should be taking enough to lower your TSH to the 1-1.5 level and to have your free T4 in the very upper third of its range.
(BTW, your total T4 is not as high as you appear to think; it's just above mid-range, and it has lots and lots of room to be higher.)

When you have blood drawn for the TSH this week, insist on a free T4 at the same time. Not total; free T4.

Let us know.

Last edited by midwest1; 09-01-2009 at 01:47 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
(female)

girlmtl HB User
Re: Pregnant with elevated TSH.Pls advice,very worried =(

Thanks for ur replay.
I checked my lab results and it says FREE T4.I don't know if the lab was wrong or not but I know my doctor requested the total t4.
However, this is what is says on my results.
Regarding the dosage,I know it's small but they don't want to put me on anything higher until i check my TSH again coz I have no symptoms at all.I felt better before starting taking the meds.
They don't want to make me hyper either coz I'm pregnant.
I'll keep u posted.
Thanks once again.

Closed Thread