It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2009, 04:37 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User
Switched from Synthroid to Nature-throid

Hi everyone! Finally got Nature-throid, looks like an endless battle trying to get refills? Is it normal to still go thru "adjustments" symptoms? I'm feeling more tired, exhausted! since the change, one week now. I'm taking 65mg equivalent to the 100mcg of Synthroid I was on. My labs were pretty good on Synthroid but I felt depressed, bloated etc etc. I would have thought the extra T-3 would be giving me more energy? or is it because the t-4 is lower than the Synthroid now? or just the crappy adjustment time like with every dose change in the past? The one quick positive is less "bloating"!!!! and a couple lbs have come off already! depression got better too in this short time. I'm definately sticking with "natural" - hoping the exhaustion eases up after a couple wks? ( praying Armour and Nature-throid get back on track!) really upsetting to finally get a dr to prescribe this and now we can't get it ?
Hysterectomy

Old 09-03-2009, 05:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: Switched from Synthroid to Nature-throid

Congratulations on finding a doctor to prescribe Nature-throid!

65 mg of Nature-throid is just one grain. It that all you're on now? That's a pretty small dose. My NTH protocol says to increase by 1/2 gain every two-three weeks. When you get up to 3 grains hold off increasing for a while to allow the T4 levels to adjust. I'd do some labs about this time to see where you levels are at too. Then if you are still hypo you can increase 1/4 grain every couple of weeks until you have symptom relief. The key is not to hold yourself at too low a dose for too long so your hypo symptoms don't come roaring back.

I know it's a challenge to find supplies now. Keep looking and hopefully you will locate a steady supply until the backorder is over and there is enough desiccated thyroid powder available to the manufacturers. I've had to locate my NTH out of the country because I'm unable to find any near me.

Last edited by javelina; 09-03-2009 at 05:25 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2009, 07:22 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User

Thanks Javelina, I did find a place in your state, AZ, Mixtures Pharmacy, my doctor use to work in AZ and uses that place. I actually found her on the web, "best thyroid dr's". The dose is the same as my synthroid was but then again, my dose on synthroid wasn't working well, symptom wise. My next appt isn't til the 21st, that will be 3 1/2 wks on n/t and labs will be done about 3 wk mark, that should be sufficient for numbers? and yes, she gets all levels, t-3 etc. looking back on my old labs with other dr's the few times they ckd t-3 it was low even when the tsh was hyper levels, just shows one shouldn't go by the tsh! They drive the tsh so low and never ck t-3, leaving most of us on not adequate dosing, limiting t-4 dose for the sake of only the tsh, so frustrating! This exhaution always happened with any change in med dose, so hoping another wk things will level a bit? Got another script coming for 30 days, begged them to ship it early. I can't find one pharmacy here in Fl that has any! unreal! Wal-greens sd it was on the way 2 wks ago! they won't get it, so praying the AZ place keeps getting some? I spoke with RLC co the maker of n/t, they are small, and are in for a lot of work! good for them, just hope they can handle it? I'll gladly use Armour but that's an issue now too. I refuse to go back to Synthroid! best wishes to you!!
Hysterectomy

Old 09-04-2009, 03:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

Its an individual thing but generally we like to get our Free T3 and Free T4 up into the top third of range to see symptom relief.

Good your doc knows not to treat my TSH numbers, especially when using a T3/T4 preparation like NTH. Your TSH will be very suppressed before you get symptoms under control.

Hope you can keep up the supply of NT. I've heard of a few pharmacies here in AZ that still have some but I've decided to order from up north of the border where the supplies are very good and the prices reasonable.

Closed Thread