It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2009, 03:39 AM   #1
(female)

rainbowmgreddy HB User
best time for Thyroid Test

Dear all,
I have a hypothyroid problem from past 8 months and I took T3, T4 and TSH tests 3 times till now. T3 and TSH were in control but T4 was little high than normal range. Now i would like to go for all these tests, but I have some doubts regarding test timings they are
1. what is the best time for good results in the day?
-Test after take medicine in the morning with out breakfast?
- Test after taking medicine and breakfast in the morning?
- Test without medicine and breakfast?
2. Can I go for FT3 and FT4 test without getting pregnancy.
when I asked my doctor she said that in the case of
pregnancy only we go for FT3 and FT4 .
3 Now I want to get pregnancy..can I follow the same medication or do i need any changes?
4. what is the best diet for hypothyroidism? can i eat cauliflower and cabbage and potato? Which type of fruits and vegetables can I eat?
5. Frequently I feel hungry through out the day even though I
have meals on right time. My eyes are rounding (Sorry i do
not know what we call this) and I am getting little pain now and then at left side of my head, brain, ear and eye. What it would be?
Please suggest me the causes for above symptoms.

Thanks & Regards
Rekha

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2009, 10:31 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
Re: best time for Thyroid Test

You need to take tests before taking meds. Because it's best to take meds on an empty stomach you'll have your tests taken without breakfast too.

So you've had total T4 and T3 tested? Free T's are always better since they are more accurate (so you can disregard your high total T4 if you have had one).

If you plan to get pregnant you should most likely have your TSH below 2 and Free T's above midrange. When you do get pregnant you will likely need a med increase since the fetus is dependant on your T4 before it has it's own thyroid function - a healthy thyroid would speed up it's function to fill that need - and of course on your metabolism until the end of the pregnancy to grow and develop normally . Some increase their dose a bit immediately after a positive pregnancy test or have their labs taken ASAP to see what their labs showing and then increase. Thyroid levels need to be monitored closely - like every 4-6 weeks - to keep up with the situation.

Cruciferous plants like cabbage aren't the best for your thyroid function when eaten raw but when cooked and consumed with moderation there should be no problem.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 09-08-2009 at 10:59 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2009, 03:09 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

herekittykitty HB User

My doctor had me take my tests on an empty stomach, EXACTLY 24 hours past the last time I took the thyroid medication. She stressed to me exactly 24 hours past the last dose of medication.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Any form of hormone testing, be it thyroid or other, is best done during the earlier part of the morning. Having the test done late morning, lunch time or later in the day can give incorrect results.

Like the others said, don't eat breakfast and don't take any meds either until after the test has been done.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:54 AM   #5
(female)

rainbowmgreddy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmgreddy View Post
Dear all,
I have a hypothyroid problem from past 8 months and I took T3, T4 and TSH tests 3 times till now. T3 and TSH were in control but T4 was little high than normal range. Now i would like to go for all these tests, but I have some doubts regarding test timings they are
1. what is the best time for good results in the day?
-Test after take medicine in the morning with out breakfast?
- Test after taking medicine and breakfast in the morning?
- Test without medicine and breakfast?
2. Can I go for FT3 and FT4 test without getting pregnancy.
when I asked my doctor she said that in the case of
pregnancy only we go for FT3 and FT4 .
3 Now I want to get pregnancy..can I follow the same medication or do i need any changes?
4. what is the best diet for hypothyroidism? can i eat cauliflower and cabbage and potato? Which type of fruits and vegetables can I eat?
5. Frequently I feel hungry through out the day even though I
have meals on right time. My eyes are rounding (Sorry i do
not know what we call this) and I am getting little pain now and then at left side of my head, brain, ear and eye. What it would be?
Please suggest me the causes for above symptoms.

Thanks & Regards
Rekha

Old 09-12-2009, 12:06 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

rainbowmgreddy - i think it might be best to start a new thread as you would get a lot more help for all the questions you want answered.

Closed Thread