It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2009, 03:57 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User
Does using products with sodium chloride make anyone dizzy?

I know that if you have Hashi's, extra iodine can cause problems (it causes vertigo for me), but now it seems anytime I use ANY product with sodium chloride, I immediately get very dizzy. This has included saline nasal sprays and contact lens solution. I have to wear my contacts (I hate wearing glasses) and can't afford lasik. I don't know what to think. Everyone I mention this too thinks I'm crazy. They say there's sodium chloride and iodine in our bodies so why would it make you dizzy from a product? I wish I knew the answer, but all I know is that it does.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2009, 05:25 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User
Re: Does using products with sodium chloride make anyone dizzy?

You're talking about salt. Right? Regular table salt, like Morton's, is processed with chemicals and this is the salt that is widely used. You could try switching to an unadulterated salt, like Real Salt or one of the other brands. Salt has gotten a bad "rep" but it is the Mortons that is a problem and causes problems for our bodies. Our bodies need salt, just not the kind with a lot of additives.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2009, 05:34 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User

Yes, I'm talking about salt, but not the kind you eat. I'm talking about products that contain sodium chloride in their ingredients (nasal saline spray, contact lens saline solution). I'm thinking the sodium chloride they use must contain iodine since I'm very sensitive to that.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:04 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

I think they add iodine to salt in the US as a dietary supplement. There are non-iodized salts you can purchase. It is not naturally occuring in most table salt (some sea salts yes), it is added. My belief is they don't add iodine to saline----it's not for dietary purposes, particularly if it were going in your eye I don't think it would be added. You can call your contact solution company, I don't think they would put iodine in your contact solution or nasal spray.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:16 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User

Then I must be allergic to sodium chloride. I get extremely dizzy when I use products that have this in it.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:03 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

You do know that sodium chloride is table salt, don't you? Plain old salt. The kind you eat every single day. Bread, cereal, pizza, soup, canned vegetables, any kind of commercial food contains salt. It's not possible to be "allergic" to salt.

Last edited by midwest1; 09-09-2009 at 12:02 AM.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:39 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
You do know that sodium chloride is table salt, don't you? Plain old salt. The kind you eat every single day. Bread, cereal, pizza, soup, canned vegetables, any kind of commercial food contains salt. It's not possible to be "allergic" to salt.
Regular table salt (Morton's) is processed with chemicals. It's possible to have a reaction to those processing agents.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:00 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User

Once again, I have NO problem with table salt or food that has salt in it. I'm having a problem with products like shampoo, nasal sprays, contact lens solution, makeup, etc. that contains sodium chloride in their ingredients. There must be something in the way they process the sodium chloride in these products that makes it different. All I know is that any time I use anything that has it, I either break out horribly on my face or I become extremely dizzy.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:56 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Hi Tigger,

Right. Whatever they put in those processing agents for regular table salt would likely also be present in the products you use. But if you have no problem with table salt could it possibly be some other chemical ingredient, also often found in abundance in products? SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate) for instance is something I look for in products, and avoid. Fragrances and coloring agents can also be problematic for some people. If you read the ingredients of many of the products people use daily you would see the prevalent use of these chemicals. I have MCS (multiple chemical sensitivity) so I do my best to avoid those products.

Best,

Jen

Old 09-09-2009, 06:16 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User

It's the sodium chloride. It's listed as a pore clogging ingredient in makeup, which is why my face breaks out. It's also been the one common ingredient in the nasal spray and contact lens solution that makes me very dizzy. I know I've read about it online but I can't find the article. I'm not crazy, it really is the sodium chloride. How they use it in products is not the same as the table salt we eat.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:28 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger67 View Post
How they use it in products is not the same as the table salt we eat.
Okay. Gotcha.

J.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:51 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

starryGal09 HB UserstarryGal09 HB User

have you tried the contact solution that uses hydrogen peroxide? or others that do not contain the questionable ingredient? Try to eliminate it all together for a couple of days or longer and reintroduce to see if the symptoms return.

My dd has been having some strange probs with dizziness lately. Fell in tub, fell down last four steps of stairs to basement, run into walls, drops things, etc. I will be watching this to find out if you find anything out.

She too wears contacts. You never know!

Holy moley. I found all kinds of sodium chlorides:

Sodium chloride

Derived from salt; astringent and anti-inflammatory.
Sodium citrate
Derived from minerals and citric acid; balances the pH level.
Full article>>>

Sodium Chloride: A purified common table salt used for its natural cleansing, toning, refreshening, astringent, antiseptic and moisture absorption properties.
Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate: An organic preservative derived from the amino acid glycine.
Full article>>>

Sodium chloride
- common salt usually used as a preservative.
Sodium glycollate - salt of glycolic acid .
Sodium laureth sulphate - sodium salt of lauryl sulphate, surfactant and a very gentle cleansing agent.
Full article>>>

Sodium Chloride
(Sea Salts) Sea salt used as an astringent, antiseptic, cleanser and adjusts viscosity.
Sodium Cocoate Sodium salts compounded with coconut fatty oils.
Full article>>>

Sodium Chloride
Common table salt used as an astringent/antiseptic.
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
A white powder used as a detergent, emulsifier, and surfectant in cosmetics. A very strong degreaser. Also used as a water "softener"

Last edited by starryGal09; 09-09-2009 at 02:56 PM.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:46 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

tigger67 HB User

The hydrogen peroxide solutions still need saline to rinse off the lens before putting it in your eye. I was able to find one brand (Aquify) that did not contain sodium chloride. I've used it for one day and already I can tell a difference. I'm still slightly dizzy and bright lights still bother me, but I'm blaming that on my low thyroid.

Have your husband try this brand and see if that helps. I know people think I'm crazy for saying I'm allergic to or sensitive to sodium chloride, but I swear there must be something different between what's in food and what they put into products.

Old 09-20-2009, 06:05 PM   #14
(female)

earthview HB User

Dear tigger67,

There is something called Meniere's disease/hydrops. You would need to find a good ENT to find out if that is what is happening to you. It is one of the autoimmune diseases.

When one has Meniere's the chemical balance between the sodium and potassium in the inner ear is off, and the effect is dizziness and trouble with balance with your eyes closed. Some people have episodes so bad they need to crawl to keep from falling over, and can get very sick to their stomachs.

If you do have the Meniere's/hydrops, there are things the doctor can prescribe to help with the dizziness and/or potassium in order to balance the chemistry in your inner ear. You will need to be very careful about any sodium in anything for a while at least (as well as sweets, which can also set it off) until the dizziness becomes less of a problem. Often some salt in food is not as much of a problem, as it is balanced by all the other compounds in the food.

One more thing... the initial Meniere's/Hydrops episode is usually after an illness/cold... which triggers the autoimmune process. If you have had some sort of respiratory illness lately, it becomes even more important to get yourself checked out.

Last edited by earthview; 09-20-2009 at 06:11 PM.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:20 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Tigger - i also think what is happening to you is something unrelated to Hashi's and your salt/iodine intake.

I've got Hashi's, but my iodine is very low and i've been on pure iodine for the last year and i've had no side effects. I'm aware some people have good or even excess iodine in their system, but some have actual low iodine. Before taking or blaming iodine it's best to get iodine levels tested. Best test is the 24hr iodine load test.

My best guess would be, like others have suggested, that you could be allergic to an ingredient in your cosmetics, shampoo and contact lense products. I stopped buying shampoo with sodium lauryl/laureth sulphates a few years ago. I don't wear meakeup any more so i dont know what they put in that. I do use moisturiser, lip balm and sometimes lipstick and mascara, but i've ditched all the rest. I tried going back to foundation and it makes me feel claustrophobic and feel as though my face is sweating. Cosmetics companies use a lot of scary ingredients within their products. At the end of the day most of us dont even need half the cosmetics advertised, but i guess we're all so used to using them or think we look 'naked' if we aren't wearing them due to everybody else wearing them.

With salt, my thyroid doctor has got me using Celtic Sea Salt which is hand harvested in France. It hasn't been bleached, has no additives and it hasn't been over processed. This means so many of the healthy minerals etc which our bodies need are still in this salt, whereas those over manufactured salts have an excessive sodium content, most of the minerals have been killed off and there is who knows what else in there.

Hashi's is a very individual thing. We might share some similarities amongst us but then so many of us have symptoms which others wont necessarily suffer from. There are so many other areas of the body which are affected along with the thyroid so what you are suffering could be an off shoot of Hashi's.

Maybe as an experiment, ditch all the makup and contact lenses for a few days or a week and see what happens, just to find out if it's solely these manufactured products or whether it occurs when you eat regular foods. If it's only from your cosmetics etc, do like someone else mentioned and phone the company and see what they say.

Closed Thread