It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2009, 12:08 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

CW1984 HB User
What does hypoechoic mean?

So I've been recently diagnosed with Postpartum Thyroiditis. I know I have a multi nodular thyroid-had an ultrasound done in June. The ENT that ordered the ultrasound said he didn't see anything to worry about and to follow up in a few months. I just found my U/S results and noticed I have "hypoechoic lesions". So of course I googled that and all I see is that hypoechoic means cancer so I'm freaked out. Below is part of the ultrasound report that talks about the hypoechoic lesions:

"There is a well defined hypoechoic lesion in the right part of the isthmus measuring 0.9x0.4cm. There is a similar lesion in the left side of the isthmus measuring 0.4x0.9cm. There are two sharply defined hypoechoic lesions related to the lower pole of the right lobe of the thyroid. The larger measures 1.0x0.6cm in cross section and 1.3cm in length. Although these do not have echogenic centers to indicate that they are lymphnodes, this is a consideration. There is a similar lesion related to the upper most part of the left lobe of the thyroid measuring 1x0.4cm. Again this could be a thyroid nodule of a lymph node. On the transverse view of the inferioir part of the left lobe there are two hypoechoic lesions which are well defined, the larger measures 0.7cm in diameter."

CONCLUSION- Several lesions are seen in relation to the thyroid. All of these could be due to enlarged lymph nodes. CT of the neck is suggested for further evaluation.

I had a CT scan done next but everything appeared normal except for a few "scattered shotty lymphnodes".

Any ideas??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2009, 12:32 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

CW1984 HB User
Re: What does hypoechoic mean?

Forgot to add-

Right lobe measures: 4.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm

Left lobe measures: 3.8cmx1.1cmx1.5cm

I had a complete thyroid blood test done in july and it was abnormal- I'm going slightly hypo right now I think. I don't have many symptoms. I do get tired but I have a 9 month old. . Looking back, I may have started out hyper bc I lost about 50 pounds (baby weight) in about 3 months. My regular doctor and endo looked at these U/S and CT results and wasn't worried at all about the "lesions" but I am! The endo started me off on .75 of Levox---

Closed Thread