It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2009, 06:55 AM   #1
(female)

rockrat71 HB User
Is there any way to lower antibodies or do they stay with you forever?

This might be a dumb question but I can't find the answer I'm looking for when googling. Just wondering if there is anything I can do to lower my antibodies. They seem to be fluctuating a bit in my labs. When I started treatment they were 256 and now six weeks later they are 221. Any way to get them down more, naturally or otherwise? Does treatment keep them at bay or are they continuing to attack my thyroid even though I'm on Levoxyl now? Thanks for your help! My mind is just spinning...

Last edited by rockrat71; 09-11-2009 at 06:56 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2009, 07:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: Is there any way to lower antibodies or do they stay with you forever?

A lot of people have success using selenium suppliments to lower their antibodies. I've also heard many good things about the use of Low Dose Naltrexone for autoimmune disease, including Hashimoto's.

At present there isn't a "cure" for autoimmune thyroid disease but the best way to treat it is to raise your thyroid hormones to the point where your thyroid shuts down and becomes inactive. Then the antibodies don't attack it anymore and this relieves the symptoms. You need to continue this treatment for life.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2009, 08:04 AM   #3
(female)

rockrat71 HB User

Thanks javelina. Can you tell me anything else about selenium? Are there any negatives to taking it? Can I just start taking it or should I ask my doctor?

Old 09-11-2009, 08:19 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

Some advise to start out at 200 mcg for a month and then go down to 100 but I do know that there is a toxicity issues with selenium as well-- the upper limit recommended is 400mcg but we also get selenium in other foods so it's difficult to know how much we are getting in our diets. I eat a few Brazil nuts every day to suppliment.
I'd discuss it with your doctor and do some research and try to make an informed decision.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:21 AM   #5
(female)

rockrat71 HB User

Thanks! I'm definitely going to pursue this further!

Old 09-11-2009, 09:36 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

The reasons I never worried about reducing my antibodies ~

1. Both TPO and Tg ABs can cause Hashi's. Only TPOs can be reduced with selenium. There is no way to reduce TgAbs.

2. TPOs can be reduced w selenium only up to a max of 40%. Up to 60% of them will still be there no matter what you do.

3. There is no way to completely stop the progression of thyroid destruction due to antibody action. The thyroid gland's function is going to be eventually destroyed. Reducing, but not eliminating, the antibodies only prolongs the misery, IMO.

4. The only way to overcome the damage from the Abs is to replace the missing thyroid hormones with a prescription. The most effective way to do that is to take enough hormone to shut down any remaining natural gland function. Trying to add just enough prescription to supplement what the gland is still spitting out in dribs and drabs is an exercise in futility.

5. Finally, Abs don't cause symptoms in and of themselves, so reducing them won't make you feel any better. Only in cases where they number in the high thousands might they cause fluish symptoms. Few of us have numbers that high. The difference in your 256 and 221 is miniscule and of no importance.

After all that's said, selenium can still be helpful if you don't convert T4 to T3 very effectively, because it aids that process. Selenium is also thought to play a role in prevention of some cancers, although studies on that are continuing and as yet, not completely proven.

Closed Thread