Re: Is there any way to lower antibodies or do they stay with you forever?
The reasons I never worried about reducing my antibodies ~
1. Both TPO and Tg ABs can cause Hashi's. Only TPOs can be reduced with selenium. There is no way to reduce TgAbs.
2. TPOs can be reduced w selenium only up to a max of 40%. Up to 60% of them will still be there no matter what you do.
3. There is no way to completely stop the progression of thyroid destruction due to antibody action. The thyroid gland's function is going to be eventually destroyed. Reducing, but not eliminating, the antibodies only prolongs the misery, IMO.
4. The only way to overcome the damage from the Abs is to replace the missing thyroid hormones with a prescription. The most effective way to do that is to take enough hormone to shut down any remaining natural gland function. Trying to add just enough prescription to supplement what the gland is still spitting out in dribs and drabs is an exercise in futility.
5. Finally, Abs don't cause symptoms in and of themselves, so reducing them won't make you feel any better. Only in cases where they number in the high thousands might they cause fluish symptoms. Few of us have numbers that high. The difference in your 256 and 221 is miniscule and of no importance.
After all that's said, selenium can still be helpful if you don't convert T4 to T3 very effectively, because it aids that process. Selenium is also thought to play a role in prevention of some cancers, although studies on that are continuing and as yet, not completely proven.