It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2009, 10:03 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User
Adjustment issues-Nature-throid

Hi everyone, having super "hypo" issues since I switched to nature-throid, 2 1/2 wks now. I was on 100mcg synthroid and swapped to n/t 1 grain. At the early 2 wk mark added anothr 1/2 grain, 1 1/2 now. It's so strange, a day after the first dose I felt so---much better! then crash! after the increase same thing, better for a day and crash--- from the conversion chart I am on more thyroid med than I was on with synthroid. Has anyone else gone thru these "adjustment" symptoms from switching meds? It feels like I'm starting all over again! getting discouraged, am I expecting too much too soon? I want to stay with n/t as some things have gotten better: stomache bloating gone! and allergies better, but depression, fatigue etc full force still.
Hysterectomy

Old 09-12-2009, 11:17 AM   #2
(female)

Graves54 HB User
Re: Adjustment issues-Nature-throid

Yes, it does take a while to adjust .Sometimes your low cortisol might cause you problems.The cortisol saliva test,that you can order on your own,might be a good idea.Need to check ferriten.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2009, 11:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

1.5 grains isn't a very big dose of NT-- many are up around 2.5 to 4 grains. I don't think the conversion charts between Levo and natural thyroid hormones are very useful. Everyone has their own individual level so you should raise until you feel symptom relief. The fact that you feel relief after raising is a sign that it's working, but you have to keep going up until that feeling is a permanent thing. Just take it slow once you get up around 2.5 and only 1/4 grain at a time every few weeks if you still aren't optimized. It's good to check the adrenals too just to make sure they aren't an issue. Also some labs about every month will give you an idea where your Ft3 and FT4 levels are at.

Last edited by javelina; 09-12-2009 at 11:32 AM.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Graves, I had cortisol ckd and it was right up in range. Javelina, thanks for the info too. I see many people are on much higher natural thyroid doses, which for synthetic would be extremely high! I'm thinking because the t-3 and t-4 combo's, the t-4's are much less dose, thus needing to go higher...with sythetics they only dose to get the t-4 in range, never adjusting for the t-3, thus undermedicated. I'm getting labs on the 17th, that will only be a little over 3 wks, and I've just increased this past wk ( one my own) hope it doesn't give a funky test result? ( I did tell my dr ) Due to delay in getting my script filled I'm going for labs a bit early? Yes, that wonderful feeling I had short lived, is keeping my faith going!! unreal, I felt like a whole different person!!! I could cry, wow, if I ever could regain that awesome couple days for a wk or more. It was like the cloud was gone! After these labs I'm hoping to go up another 1/2 grain being at 2 gr.
Is it best to split doses? I've been taking it around 3-4 am, when I wake to go "p".
Hysterectomy

Old 09-12-2009, 12:45 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Most do split the dosage because the T3 is pretty short acting. I take 2 gr in the am and 1/2 in the afternoon. Also take at least 2 hours from any calcium, iron, or estrogen.

Old 09-19-2009, 03:54 PM   #6
(female)

confusa HB User

i am having a pretty rough time with the switch myself from armour to naturethroid. i can relate. i don't understand the grain language my naturethroid is measured differently..65 mg(+ i take another 1/2 of a 32.5 pill). not graiin.. i am confused?????? all my symptoms have come back with full force and i had worked really hard on the adrenals and they seemed to have crashed with them. is that what happened to you. how are you doing now? need some encouragement

Old 09-19-2009, 04:26 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Confusa, well, I'm sure my levels are all messed up now. I was on 1 grain for almost 2 wks, increased another 1/2 for a wk then another 1/2 total 2 grains= 130 mg Then nausea hit hard! morning sickness feelings, yuk!!! then, unable to get any refills, I was trying to stock up due to the back order crapola. Got panicked and asked Dr to prescribe "compounded" t-4 t-3, locally. Well, now for 2 days I've been on that, its slow release so only one cap a day. The nausea was a bit better today, slept great last night, blood pressure is very low (have had issues with that), slight headache, but the sick feeling stinks! still a bit tired. oh, several bouts of diareha too in the am. I've lost several lbs these past few wks! so that was a plus!!! I'm set for labs on Monday, they'll be off...as I've changed doses and meds in too short a time. I"m trying to convince myself that my body is finally getting both t's now and has a lot of adjusting to go thru? I'm gonna just hang in there and pray they subside soon. The 2 grains is really not a heck of a lot, was on 100mcg Synthroid prior, and the compounding is only 76 t-4 and 18 t-3. I know the t-3 is about 75 mg in terms of t-4 so that would put me about 150 mg now total? We'll see what these new labs say? I think any time we change a dose it takes time to adjust. I remember feeling crappy when I first started thyroid meds, every dose change had to endure all over again.
Let's hope we're just in a short adjustment stage and feeling great soon!! maybe the lousy feelings are a good sign? things are working now!! hang in there!
Hysterectomy

Old 09-20-2009, 05:02 AM   #8
(female)

confusa HB User

kindred spirit, thanks for the response. i feel like i am grasping for straws at times. i am grateful for finding this website.i will keep you posted on my progress, as i would love to hear when you "finally "get there and feel normal. you know i have a few friends that are on synthroid and have not gone through the mess i have been through and there is a lack of understanding....almost feel like they think i am "making all this up"these are real symptoms with real struggles. it is frustrating!!! i will hang in there and "get to my level" i just feel like my life is passing by and i want to live it...not sit on the sidelines... life cannot be paused, and meanwhile i feel like my kids have had to grow up fast. it just makes my heart sad. thanks for explaining the grain thing.

Old 09-20-2009, 12:24 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kindspirit, have you checked your adrenal function? Your symptoms sound like pooling from adrenal fatigue, often as a result of being on T4 meds for a while or longstanding untreated hypothyroidism. A saliva cortisol test is the best way to check.

Confusa, one grain of Armour is 60mcg and one grain of Nature-throid is 65mcg. I know it's confusing but the idea is that one grain contains the same levels of T3 and T4 so that's how it's dosed. But of course, NT and Armour are not exactly alike and their fillers are different so people have different reactions and adjustment periods. From what I've heard it can take a while to switch from one to the other, especially since so many went hypo on the new Armour and were essentially starting over again. But with your difficulties it could be adrenal issues, either high or low cortisol that's making it so hard.

I'm getting my NT from that country to the north of us now and really like it a lot. Very affordable too.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:54 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Javelina, I had cortisol cked and it was in the upper range back in May. I'm pretty darn sick still today and fed up! the headache, nausea is just new since the increase in t-3. Weird, my bp is very low 90's over 50's, flucuates but never above 104/70. So I can't see how it could be too much t-3, I'm not showing any "hyper" symptoms, other than weight loss. I'm ready to go back to Synthroid and add cytomel? atleast I wasn't sick on Synthroid, maybe adding cytomel would work? I'm loving the weight loss part!!! For the first time in over a yr my belly is gone!!! and lost the 10 lbs!!! but, this sick feeling is getting old! its' like morning sickness all day! very curious to see my lab results after tomorrow? I'll have to hang in til the following Mondday dr appt, another week of this. I had really hoped "natural" would be the cure...but, if not, atleast my ins covers synthroid and cytomel.
Hysterectomy

Old 09-20-2009, 06:21 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

You'll be getting pretty much the same hormones with synthetics as you do with the natural so I would be very surprised if switching is going to help much. You will, however, be cutting out the other good hormones naturals have as well as calcitonin which helps bones.

What happens is, due to adrenal problems-- in your case high cortisol, you will convert T4 into Reverse T3 and this will bind with the T3 receptors and prevent T3 from getting into the cells. There are a few ways to correct this, first by making sure you don't have any vitamin or mineral deficiencies and by supplimenting D, B12, C and magnesium and iron if needed. Sometimes T3 alone is given to clear out the excess RT3 as well. Also Phosphatidylserene is often used to lower high cortisol.

See if you can get your doc to run an RT3 with a Free T3 to see what your levels are. Have you checked your vitamin levels?

Closed Thread