It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2009, 12:03 PM   #1
(female)

Aahhh Problems HB User
Severe Hypo Symptoms but "Normal" Test Results?

Hi,
I'm new here and needed some help reading my results of a Thyroid test.

I've been suffering with Hypothyroid symptoms for 18 years, first they were mild, but have got more severe as the years have passed.

My symptoms are:

Tiredness, weakness, aches and pains, neck ache, cold intolerance, freezing cold hands and feet, tingling in fingers, shortness of breath, severe dizziness, dry skin, hair falling out in patches (it does grow back however), can't concentrate, confusion, loss of memory, heart palpitations, jumpy vision, sadness, brittle nails, tunnel vision, panic attacks and Anxiety...etc The list is endless!!

Over the past 18 years I've been to the doctors countless times, I've been told I suffer Anxiety Attacks and told to go away and learn to relax, I've been told I'm depressed and prescribed anti-depressants (which i flushed instead of taking) I'm not depressed!! One doctor actually gave me a TSH test which came back "normal"... My symptoms have now got even worse, I can't hold down a full-time job, and basically have difficulties functioning on a daily basis, so... off i went to the doctors again, this time they say I have PMDD!!!! What the heck!!! I had another TSH test done, doctor said it came back "normal".
Last week I woke in intense pain with the back of my neck, apparently I have a pinched nerve resulting in my pinky and ring finger going numb!! While I was at the clinic I asked them to run TSH, FT3, FT4.

They called me this morning to say all test's came back "normal" although the doctor acknowledged I have classic symptoms of Hypothyroidism... It then came to light for me that this disease is hereditory, I had no idea of this, this has now enforced my belief that my Thyroid just isn't working properly, my Mother, My Aunt and my Grandma all suffer with Thyroid Disfunction!!

Is it possible that I can be still suffering with this disease and my results come back "normal"?

Here's my results:

TSH - 2.01

T4 - 0.92

T3 - 3.31

Can anyone give me any help decifering these results? Are they "normal"?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2009, 01:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: Severe Hypo Symptoms but "Normal" Test Results?

Please post the ranges for your FT3 and FT4. Your TSH is high enough to be hypo with your symptoms.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:33 PM   #3
(female)

Aahhh Problems HB User

Those are the only tests I had done? Should there be more? That's all they gave me.

Oohhh I see what you mean DUH!! (Thyroid moment...lol)

Ranges are:

TSH - 2.01 (ranges 0.35 - 5.50)

T4 - 0.92 (ranges 0.70 - 1.70)

T3 - 3.31 (ranges 2.20 - 4.20)

Last edited by Aahhh Problems; 09-23-2009 at 01:35 PM.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Aahh, Sorry I wasn't more clear. Glad you figured it out.

Your Free T4 is only at 22% of its range. Your Free T3 is somewhat higher, at 55%. Both of these values need to be up in the top third of range generally to be at good levels. Some do better with the FT3 rear the top of range. It's an individual thing but with your levels along with your symptoms and adding in your family history you are hypothyroid. I noticed from your other post about dizzyness that you should take steps to check your adrenal function as well and a saliva cortisol test is a good bet for that.

Your next task is to try to find a doctor who knows how to diagnose and treat this. Going untreated for any longer is going to continue to make you miserable and can have long term negative health effects. Some have luck with endocrinologists, most do not. I personally prefer treatment with natural thyroid hormones, others like synthetics. All I can suggest is that you do a lot of research and try to make the most informed health choices for yourself.

There's a lot of good info on other posts in this forum so take some time to read as much as you can. Feel free to post more questions as well. Good luck!

Old 09-23-2009, 03:11 PM   #5
(female)

Aahhh Problems HB User

Thank you so much... it was difficult to make sense of it all... I was told that doctors have their ranges out of whack and even tho they describe me as "normal" the possibility of me having hypo was high and could go "undiagnosed"!!!

I think I've found a Dr who will look into further, I found him on the top docs list, fortunately he's in my area. He personally specializes in thyroid problems, he's responded to my email stating that he also suffered with undiagnosed Hypothyroidism for 30 years and feels bitter towards the medical proffessionals who refuse to acknowledge it and ignore their patients symptoms because they're within range of "pretty lab results" (quote)

So, fingers crossed he can help me woohooooo!!

Old 09-23-2009, 05:00 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User

Yes your labs can be in normal range but not be normal for you, you probably need your FT4 to be higher, say mid range? I would ask this next doc for antibodies testing for Hashi's. He sounds sympathetic because he himself has this, he'll most likely do them.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:26 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wow, he sounds like a keeper for sure. My doc has a similar story. Once they walk in our shoes the start to see the light so to speak. Keep us posted as to how he works out for you. Ask him about adrenals too.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:21 AM   #8
(female)

Aahhh Problems HB User

I will most definately keep you all posted... He told me he goes by symptoms and says labs are only worth 5% of the diagnoses. He also sent me a quote from a medical professional who said "The TSH test is the most biggest medical mistake ever in diagnosing a thyroid problem", which is resulting in millions of Americans living with undiagnosed Hypo.
I will be spending two hours with him on my appointment, he wants to know every detail of my symptoms, then we'll go from there.
Thanks guys : )

Old 10-13-2009, 01:28 PM   #9
(female)

Aahhh Problems HB User

Hi Guys, I'm back...

I have an appointment with my doctor on the 26th Oct.

I got some paperwork in the mail saying which tests I will be having done, can any of you help me decifer what they are?

Here goes:

ACTH
CORTISOL, TOTAL
DHEA-S
IGF-I (SOMA-C)
T3 FREE
T3 REVERSE
T4 FREE
THYROGLOBULIN AB
TPO
VIT B12/SERUM FOLATE
CA 125 II
ESTRADIOL
FSH
PROGESTERONE
TESTERONE TOTAL
25 HYDROXY VIT D
SEM-C REACTIVE/PROTEIN.

I know there's a lot, but does anyone know what they all are?

Old 10-13-2009, 01:55 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ACTH-- the hormone put out by the pituitary to signal the adrenals to release cortisol
CORTISOL, TOTAL-- a cortisol test, only gives one reading. A 24 hour saliva is more helpful to diagnose adrenal fatigue
DHEA-S - a steroid produced by the adrenals
IGF-I (SOMA-C)-- insulin-like growth factor, a hormone produced by the liver

These following 5 tests are the proper thryoid panel:
T3 FREE --
T3 REVERSE
T4 FREE
THYROGLOBULIN AB
TPO

VIT B12/SERUM FOLATE -- vitamin B12
CA 125 II - a screeing test for cancer
ESTRADIOL - female sex hormone
FSH -- follicle stimulating hormone produced by the pituitary
PROGESTERONE -- female sex hormone
TESTERONE TOTAL -- male sex hormone
25 HYDROXY VIT D -- Vitamin D
SEM-C REACTIVE/PROTEIN. -- Also called CRP, is a test for inflammation

Looks like a good workup!

Old 10-13-2009, 02:01 PM   #11
(female)

Aahhh Problems HB User

Ooops, I missed a couple.

CBC w/Differential
Magnesium
Metabolic Panel Comprehensive
Lipid panel.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:03 PM   #12
(female)

juner50 HB User

Aaah Problems,
Right out of the gate this Doc sounds great!
You'll have to post back your with results and let us know how you like him and where he's located. So many people here look for a Dr like this one.

*Best of luck*

Old 10-13-2009, 02:07 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

sparkie HB User

I ditto Juner. He sounds fantastic. What state are you in?

Old 10-13-2009, 02:13 PM   #14
(female)

Aahhh Problems HB User

He's located in Northern Indiana, same city where I live (Mishawaka)... I haven't been to see him as yet, but he's sent me multiple emails. I've had to write every symptom I'm having, every thought I'm thinking. He's a private doctor, he doesn't work with insurance companies because they won't honor payments if a patient is within "normal range" even though they're sick. He has ordered the blood tests based on what I've told him via email (he's trying to keep it on the cheap for me).. Once I go to the appointment, he should already have my results, so I'm sure upon leaving his office things will be a whole lot clearer.

I found him on the "Top Docs" list.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:18 PM   #15
(female)

Aahhh Problems HB User

If you google Dr. Donald Michael thyroid doctor, you'll find his website, check it out, he's funny... Talking about "Periods from Hell"...lol

Closed Thread