It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2009, 07:56 PM   #1
(female)

moodymt HB User
Thyroid & LDL Cholesterol Connection?

I keep finding information that thyroid problems are the 2nd leading cause of cholesterol problems? My LDL is 129 and the lab range is 0-99. My total cholesterol is 194. I have solid masses on both lobes of thyroid that are 2.2cm and 2.0 cm. My thyroid is of normal size with one side being 4.8 x 1.6 x 1.5 and the other side 4.1 x 1.7 x 1.4. The nuclear scan showed no increase or decrease of tracer in the solid mass as compared to the rest of the thyroid.

Do I understand this correctly that the mass/nodule is taking up half of the thyroid and the thyroid is not enlarged? Since they didn't show up as hot or cold nodules do I need FNA? fine needle aspiration?

Old 10-11-2009, 09:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Thyroid & LDL Cholesterol Connection?

I can't answer your nodule questions because I have no experience with them myself. Only a small percentage of nodules have any effect on the amount of thyroid hormone produced, and those few cause hyperthyroidism, not hypo. Nodules associated with hypothyroidism are usually a result of it, not a cause of it.

That said, you're right that high LDL is often associated with low thyroid conditions. So much so, that before specific thyroid lab tests were developed, MDs ran a cholesterol test to help seal a diagnosis. Every one of the statin drugs state in their prescribing info that thyroid testing should be done before their product is prescribed. (Of course, MDs never do that. They profit more from statins than they would from thyroid hormone. They have a vested interested not to diagnose hypoT.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2010, 10:20 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

starryGal09 HB UserstarryGal09 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodymt View Post
I keep finding information that thyroid problems are the 2nd leading cause of cholesterol problems? My LDL is 129 and the lab range is 0-99. My total cholesterol is 194. I have solid masses on both lobes of thyroid that are 2.2cm and 2.0 cm. My thyroid is of normal size with one side being 4.8 x 1.6 x 1.5 and the other side 4.1 x 1.7 x 1.4. The nuclear scan showed no increase or decrease of tracer in the solid mass as compared to the rest of the thyroid.

Do I understand this correctly that the mass/nodule is taking up half of the thyroid and the thyroid is not enlarged? Since they didn't show up as hot or cold nodules do I need FNA? fine needle aspiration?
In 05 my u/s basically read similar: 4 cm x 1.6 x 1.3 cm of right lobe, and left lobe 3.3 cm x 1.5 cm x 1.1. Multiple solid nodules: region of the isthmus, area at the upper pole of right lobe and one in right lobe measuring 5x4x4 mm.

Fine Needle Aspiration recommended. (none was done in 06).

Took report to a thyroid doc and he ordered a thyroid uptake and scan in 2006. Impression: Negative thyroid scan and euthyroid uptake. No FNA scheduled.

2010: Just had new u/s done (but do not have report) and new doc is requiring an u/s guided FNA.

Latest lipids done in Feb 2010: Cholesterol 238, HDL 69, LDL 134, and triglycerides 174. These numbers have pretty much remained unchanged ever since I began having them tested in the late 80's. Have done drastic changes to my diet as for eating healthy. Also, all thyroid blood work always the same as well. So, I don't know

As for the FNA, what does your doctor recommend? Are any of the nodules becoming more prominent? Troublesome? Difficulty swallowing?
Hoarseness? Have you asked why the test was not scheduled?

@midwest 1
Quote:
They have a vested interested not to diagnose hypoT.)
Wondering about this comment? Is it all about the statins?
I'd like to elaborate that many docs do take the very basic of thyroid bloods and if numbers are in range - nothing more is said. But which bloods to really determine changes are necessary and which numbers are more reliable? I would LOVE to address this with my new doctor. Not to provoke, but to let him know I know. *In hopes HE knows!!

Old 04-05-2010, 11:10 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

In my very humble opinion the labs usually drawn for thyroid are by and large useless, especially the TSH. Most of us have a cursery TSH done and that is it for thyroid testing before being prescribed statins, antidepressants, GERD meds, fibromyalgia drugs and a whole slew of BigPharma cash cows to treat our undiagnosed hypothyroidism. Since mainstream medicine seems happy to continue this course of action it's really up to us as patients to demand the correct testing and the proper treatment if our free T3 and free T4 levels come back low in range accompanied by hypothyroid symptoms. If our doctor refuses to test of treat then tell him or her that you will be seeking another provider who actually listens to their patient. Hopefully sooner or later they will catch on.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:33 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

My cholesterol and triglycerides went to normal range as soon as I got on adequate doses of thyroid medications. Insulin resistance and thyroid issues can both cause elevated Cholesterol and trigylerides.........

Good Luck.....Oleander

Old 04-06-2010, 05:17 AM   #6
(female)

Myth HB User

doctors used to diagnose hypothyroidism by the levels of cholesterol until they decided that blood tests were more accurate

but if indeed elevated LDL cholesterol is indicative of hypothyroidism why I have been diagnosed as subclinical hyperthyroid
I have low TSH & optimal FT3 & FT4 ? my LDL cholesterol is high and my triglycerides are normal

Old 04-06-2010, 08:19 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth View Post
doctors used to diagnose hypothyroidism by the levels of cholesterol until they decided that blood tests were more accurate

but if indeed elevated LDL cholesterol is indicative of hypothyroidism why I have been diagnosed as subclinical hyperthyroid
I have low TSH & optimal FT3 & FT4 ? my LDL cholesterol is high and my triglycerides are normal
That's an interesting question and I can only think that you may have another cause for your high LDL levels or perhaps have an underlying autoimmune disease going on. The physiology of the elevated LDL in hypothyroid patients appears to be that they do not synthesize cholesterol correctly, or as one study put it:

Quote:
One possible mechanism could be that thyroid hormones enhance the conversion of cholesterol into bile acids; this mechanism has been suggested by other workers from animal studies. However, no evidence was obtained in either hypothyroid or hyperthyroid patients that thyroid hormones alter synthesis of bile acids. On the other hand, the hormones appeared to increase the synthesis of cholesterol. Patients with hypothyroidism frequently had supersaturated bile. The cause was mostly an enhanced secretion of biliary cholesterol associated with a tendency to obesity and increased synthesis of cholesterol.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:02 AM   #8
(female)

sophiesmom59 HB User

Statin use must be dropping like flies because every doctor I know of is talking this stuff up like I've never heard before. You'd think it cured everything down to the hangnail you found this morning. Big pharma must be going crazy trying to move that stuff off the shelves.

Everyone I know of who's tried them has never taken them more than for a week or two without having serious, debilitating muscle pain. When you take something that causes that kind of life-limiting pain, it's really hard to comply. They've even added the co-q-10 and it didn't help at all.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:22 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

BigPharma is now getting a go-ahead to prescribe statins before you even show high cholesterol levels, like a prophylaxis for anyone who may show high cholesterol in the future. It's just crazy. I predict they will next try to give it to all of us at birth.

Don't be fooled though, they literally make billions off of these drugs and I know many who have been on them for decades. The long-term effects are still to be determined and there's no evidence out there that it actually prolongs a person's lifespan. It's definitely a band-aid approach to underlying hypothyroidism and will only mask its diagnosis and treatment (which will kill you sooner than later). My cholesterol levels are directly tied in with how low or high my FT3 levels are and my TSH has always been "normal".

Last edited by javelina; 04-06-2010 at 09:24 AM.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:40 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelina View Post
I predict they will next try to give it to all of us at birth.
Have you seen news reports about how children's cholesterol levels are "too high"? Truth is, children's levels had never even been tested until 'research' on the subject started just a couple of years ago. It's my bet that children's levels are supposed to be higher, because brain matter is primarily made of cholesterol. Lowering it may just lead to reduction in IQ. Only speculation on my part, but to me, it makes common sense.

IMO, this is a direct and dangerous attempt by Big Pharma to begin using innocent children as bottom line boosters. Watch your kids, folks! There are many sleazy folks out there waiting to use and abuse them.

Last edited by midwest1; 04-06-2010 at 10:44 AM.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:00 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

herekittykitty HB User

My mother in law was put on cholesterol lowering medication to get her cholesterol down to 100. Her total cholesterol was only in the 150's when he put her on it. I begged her not to take it but she is of the generation that doctors know everything. She has always been active, but now she sits around and doesn't have the energy to move.

BTW, my LDL was high (I think 126) and I have Hashimoto's.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:56 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

starryGal09 HB UserstarryGal09 HB User

I don't know if my cholesterol is really high anymore. Doesn't it depend on the entire lipid number? LDL, HDL, trigs, etc? And something about a ratio?
Saw a commercial recently about a new trig lowering drug for those who's number is high. My ears perked up to listen to the information.

Trigs are considered high at >500 ??!??

So why am I being told mine are high: Latest lipids done in Feb 2010: Cholesterol 238, HDL 69, LDL 134, and triglycerides 174?

Not sure if my doctor is helpful to me at all

Closed Thread