It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2009, 02:50 PM   #1
(female)

vanmom HB User
What do these labs tell me?

These labs came in today, and i was really hoping one of you out there can give me your insight into what they mean.

TSH - 0.8 mU/L...... range 0.38----5.5 mU/L

T3 Free -4.7 pmol/L.... range 3.5-----6.5 pmol/L

T4 Free- 11.0 pmol/L.... range 10.5------20.0 pmol/L

I really feel like cr-p all the time. So many aches and pains. Could these labs be the reason why i do not feel good,sleep good,look good.....
Any information you can arm me with before my next Dr. appt would be great.
It may not be related but my Lp(a) was off the chart at 709 g/L ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2009, 03:04 PM   #2
(female)

Aahhh Problems HB User
Re: What do these labs tell me?

Your TSH looks low... There's a poster on here who is great at reading labs... Be patient, I'm sure you'll get a good response.

Where are you jav?...lol

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2009, 03:29 PM   #3
(female)

vanmom HB User

Thanks for the encouragement i will look forward to Jav or anyone else for that matter having a go at my labs

~Vanmom~

Old 10-16-2009, 08:23 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

Hi, your FT4 is at 40% of range but your FT3 is only at 5% which is way low and explains your symptoms and your bad cholesterol labs. Are you currently on thyroid hormones? You will probably need an T3 and T4 hormone replacement like natural desiccated thyroid or if you are already on some you definitely need an increase in dose.

Also ask your doc to test your ferritin, vitamin D, B12 and your antibody levels (TPO-Ab and TG-Ab) so you can get the whole picture here. I always recommend testing saliva cortisol levels too.

Hope this helps!

Old 10-16-2009, 10:09 AM   #5
(female)

vanmom HB User

Thanks so much for your opinions of the latest labs!
Here i thought it was the T4 that was low. My Ferritin was also taken it is 27ug/L and as of May 2009 my last Vit D was 56 nmol/L and i supplement daily with 3000 IU D3, so go figure why it is low. The Hemoglobin was 122 g/l .I have never been on any replacement for thyroid as i have never been diagnosed with any problem. Seems if lab results don't fall out of range there is no further consideration. The Dr. i will be seeing next will definitely consider your interpretation.
What does the TPO-Ab and TG-Ab test for? Can you give a guess at why I'm having these kind of lab results?
Really appreciate your time Javlina
vanmom

Old 10-16-2009, 10:23 AM   #6
(female)

vanmom HB User

Also can you tell me why these thyroids results and my high Lp(a) results have a correlation?
Vanmom

Old 10-16-2009, 10:24 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Whoops! You are right! I transposed the numbers by mistake-- it's your T4 that's low!!

Too early for me to be doing math obviously

Your Ferritin is very low, needs to be up around 70-90 so you should suppliment iron even if hemoglobin is ok. It's very common for us hypos to be low in D and ferritin. Also get that B12 checked as it's often low too.

I'm not sure why your FT4 is so low compared to FT3 but if you have symptoms you really do need to get your thyroid supplimented. The antibody tests will tell you if you have an autoimmune thyroid disease (Hashimoto's).

Old 10-16-2009, 10:29 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanmom View Post
Also can you tell me why these thyroids results and my high Lp(a) results have a correlation?
Vanmom
There's a very close correlation between low thyroid and high LDL cholesterol. Long term hypothyroidism is a big risk factor for heart disease, among other things. Many of us also have elevated CRP levels (an inflammatory marker) that also indicates an increased risk for coronary artery disease.

Last edited by javelina; 10-16-2009 at 10:30 AM.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:22 AM   #9
(female)

vanmom HB User

Javelina~

Looking back now my B12 was 412 pmol/L last year, and my CRP was ok i think at 0.3 mg/L. But it is my ugly fat as they call it the Lp(a) that is 709 mg/L
way way too high. So is it safe to say the same correlation between low thyroid and LDL cholesterol exists with the Lp(a) cholesterol and low thyroid?
I will take the iron but as i said my hemoglobin was only 122 g/L and the bottom of the range is 122 g/L so not the greatest.
I will take this along with me on Monday for my Dr. appointment.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:56 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Even though your B12 is "in range" it should be well up over 550 (that's the bottom of range for the Japenese standards, far more progressive than ours) and preferably up around 800 or so. I take sublingual 2000 mcg B12 for my low levels.

And yes the correlation between hypothyroid and elevated LDL holds true for Lp(a) too. There are several studies out about this.

Good luck with your doctor, hope you get some treatment soon!

Old 10-16-2009, 06:08 PM   #11
(female)

vanmom HB User

Javelina ~
Can you tell me so I'm clear for my Dr. appointment that with my low TSh and Low Free T4 that i am Hypothyroid? Because I am having ALL the symptoms of Hypo but i have read that i should have an elevated TSH to be considered Hypo, and mine is low? Does having had a positive ANA relate to any of this because they have not found a reason for the positive ANA to date?
Thanks for clearing it up for me.
Vanmom~

Old 10-17-2009, 10:46 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

The fact that you have both low TSH and low thyroid hormones can point to a pituitary or hypothalamic problem. If these glands aren't working correctly this causes what is called secondary hypothyroidism. Hypopituitarism/ hypothalamus dysfunction can also cause adrenal problems, it depends on which part of the pituitary is being affected. Your doctor should order an appropriate workup with hormone testing and an MRI.

Even if this is secondary in origin, the effect on your thyroid will be hypothyroidism and you need to treat that anyway because it's a very unhealthy state to be in, not matter what its cause. If the origin of the dysfunction is a treatable or reversable issue then your thyroid should be able to perform normally again.

A positive ANA generally points to autoimmune disease and Lupus is the most commonly associated. But I've heard of a lot of people with Hashi's who have pos ANAs as well.

Last edited by javelina; 10-17-2009 at 10:47 AM.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:57 PM   #13
(female)

vanmom HB User

Jav~
Feels like there is a light at the end of the tunnel! Do you mind me asking what you take to treat the Hypo condition and what supplements you find helpful?
~Vanmom

Old 10-17-2009, 06:19 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

I use natural desiccated thyroid hormones because I feel this is a healthier choice in that they actually replace all the hormones that my thyroid would produce if it were working properly (the thyroid produces T1, T2, T3, T4 and calcitonin). Most doctors like to prescribe a synthetic T4 medication called Synthroid or Levothyroxine. There is also synthetic T3 that can be added. Do some research on all these hormone replacement choices so you can make an informed decision. Not all doctors prescribe natural thyroid hormones so if that is your choice you might have to search for a doctor to prescribe.

I take a liquid mega multi-vit (I have a hard time swallowing the big horse pills that multis come in) that has iodine in it (but mine doesn't have iron since my ferritin leves were somewhat high). I also suppliment with 6000 iu of D3 and 2000 mcg of B12. I take magnesium citrate to bowel tolerance. I avoid soy, goitrogenic foods like raw cuciferous veggies, strawberries, spinach and peanuts, and omega 6 oils.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:46 AM   #15
(male)

othello HB User

Sorry - but, your lab results tell me a different story.

Your Free T3 (that's the active hormone your body actually is USING) is around 40% (as stated). That means your body has "enough" of T3 (sure more is better but not a problem at this level) to use. So your glands / organs are making / converting T4 -> T3 just fine.

Your free T4 (from which t3 is made) is low - within limits - but, this is caused by the fact that your TSH is low. In other words, your pituitary is sensing the fact that your blood T3 (fT3) level is OK and informing your thyroid (with low TSH) NOT to make too much more T4 (hence, low T4).

Your TSH is explainable since fT3 is within range....

The PRIMARY hypo sign (first) is a HIGH TSH - meaning the pituitary is screaming at your thyroid to make T4 (and T3) and ...

The SECOND hypo sign is (along with the high TSH) a low t4 AND ft3 (especially) level -- in other words, your pituitary is screaming at your thyroid to MAKE t4/t3 and "it" ... can't.

That is a situation where T4 (possibly even t3) should be supplemented.

Your situation is NOT classic primary hypo - on the contrary - your body has PLENTY t3 and your thyroid is not "overworking" to produce it.

It "could" be a case of secondary hypo (but, barely) - meaning the pituitary is NOT telling the thyroid to produce more - there are specific drugs for that but they are not t4/t3 supplements.

If you take t4 or t4/t3 drugs now - your pituitary will sense elevated ft3 levels and your TSH will drop further. You will inhibit your thyroid completely.

Your condition could be caused by MANY other factors - from adrenals to other hormone deficiencies. I think your doctor needs to further investigate.

Nonetheless, a low TSH and mid level fT3 is NOT a classic hypo situation. Wish I had those numbers !!!

Closed Thread