It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2009, 05:30 PM   #1
(male)

flyfish1000 HB User
Compounded Natural Thyroid

My Dr wants me to try Nature thyroid which is difficult to obtain right now. He said he has a compounding pharmacy that can compound the proper prescription for me. I have been on synthroid for about 19 years now with a total thyroid removal due to cancer. Is using a compounding pharmacy an appropriate way to get natural thyroid?

Old 10-19-2009, 07:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Compounded Natural Thyroid

Sure, compounding is 'appropriate', but it doesn't come cheap. Nature-throid is much easier on the pocketbook. I even bypass my insurance and pay out of pocket because the cash price is less than my copay.

In all honesty, if I felt ok on Synthroid and just needed a little tweaking to feel terrific, I would hold out for a month or two until Nature-throid is readily available again. Then I would go for it over the compounded. If you feel just terrible though, take whichever you can get the soonest.

You say that your MD "has a compounding pharmacy". Do you mean he himself has one or is a partner in the compounding pharmacy and is perhaps recommending compounded med to increase his profit margin? That wouldn't be nice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2009, 08:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

My own self I have not had much luck with compounding. With Premenopausal hormones or Thyroid hormones. And (at least when I did it) my insurance company would not pay for it. Not saying it would not work for some. Years ago I $pent much money on Progesterone and hormones I probably did not even need.

I could not get my Armour or Thyrolar2 the last month but recieved 2 months worth in the mail today. HURRAY!!!! I feel so great on either one of those I want to stick with them. My body will be so happy tomorrow to be back on 4 Grains instead of 2 Grains.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do...... Maybe someone will come forward about success with compounding.

Oleander

Old 10-19-2009, 09:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User

I do hear the Nature-throid is getting much more common on the pharmacy shelves now. I think they are getting a whole lot less backordered every week.

I've never done compounding and have heard it's a bit pricy. I've tried Armour and Nature-throid and now I have grown very fond of my Canadian Erfa Thyroid and will stick with it even if my local Walgreens has tons of NT.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:30 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

I get my Nature Thyroid FROM a compounding pharmacy. The cost is $20 and I send the form into my insurance. Haven't yet heard back if they will cover any part of it.

Last edited by jenj770; 10-20-2009 at 05:31 AM.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:04 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenj,

Is your Nature Thyroid compounded ? Oleander

Old 10-20-2009, 07:33 AM   #7
(male)

flyfish1000 HB User

The reason the Dr wants me to try the natural is because I have been in a depression which has lasted almost 5 years now. My TSH, Free T3, and Free T4 have been in normal ranges while on Synthroid He said some people feel better with the natural VS Synthroid despite the numbers. I am a scared to switch but feeling like this is no fun and I don't want to take an SSRI until I try just about everything else first. He said it would be in the $20.00 to $25.00 range for compounded. Thanks

Last edited by flyfish1000; 10-20-2009 at 07:36 AM.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:46 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleander53 View Post
Jenj,

Is your Nature Thyroid compounded ? Oleander
No. It is from a compounding pharmacy.

A new pharmacy just opened near my apartment (in NYC). I asked her about the natural thyroid situation. She said she has 2 bottles of Armour and that will then be it! She said any natural supplements that were grandfathered in prior to (can't remember for sure but think she said l988) are slowly being depleted and eventually will not be available at all. I know others are reporting different situations/information in there area, but even the compounding pharmacy said they don't know how long supplies will last.

Over and Out

Old 10-20-2009, 11:41 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I buy my Nature-throid at a compounding pharmacy too. They cater to the "natural"-minded customer; that's why they handle it when none of the mega-chain pharmacies around here do.

Flyfish... Your MD is one smart cookie! I'm impressed! The natural hormone and/or its T3 content can greatly help depression. It has been proven to benefit severe depression even when the patient's thyroid levels are well within normal range, and it can give prescription anti-depressants a boost so they work better. A book has been written on the subject: The Thyroid Solution. You may be interested in it.

Is that $20-25 for a 30-day supply? I paid $11 for a 30-day supply of NT, but only $23 for 90 days. Bulk discount. There may come a day when I will have to opt for compounded. Even at twice the cost, it would be well worth the price for what that little miracle does.

I hope it works for you, and that you'll be feeling better very soon!

Old 10-20-2009, 05:11 PM   #10
(male)

flyfish1000 HB User

Thanks Midwest. My biggest concern was that because thyroid meds are measured at such minute amounts that a compounding pharmacy might not be able to keep it stable from dose to dose. I don't have any thyroid tissue so I am completely dependent on replacement therapy. Also because I had cancer its important to keep my TSH suppressed to help prevent any reaccurance of the cancer. At this point I think I would rather have cancer than this stupid depression if given the choice.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:46 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

A note on depression. Depression can be from many things. T3 is famous for helping depression. It can also be caused by other things. Has anyone checked your blood sugar and insulin? Not just a fasting but a 2 hour PP Glucose and Insulin. Must be a 2 hour to tell the whole picture....

Getting my thyroid meds up to par ( I am on 4 Grains daily of Armour), being treated for Insulin resistance ( my 2 hour insulin was sky high) and eliminating gluten from my diet ( I tested positive for Celiac) has cured my fatigue and depression. Thank God I had a wonderful Endo who uncovered all of this.

I am 35 pounds lighter, no daytime napping, energy soaring, clear headed and endurance is back. For me it was a combo of things........

Wanted to share this with you so maybe it would help. I never had any depression and one day it was like my light went out. All my high energy gone. It was so hard putting the pieces of the puzzle together. A very social me became reclusive and everything was such an effort.

My parents are gone, ex hubby passed away, stressful job, health problems and 3 college kids relying on me $$$$$ so I had to keep my act together and it has not been easy. No one to help. But I am 100% better now.

I wish you the best in correcting this. There is no harm in taking an antidepressant either but it is best to uncover any underlying reasons. Also check your Magnesium levels mine was low and stays low unless I supplement.

I loved the Cytomel ( t3) in the afternoon because it gave me a lift. But I do my best on Armour. I got 2 months supply yesterday.

(((((((Hugs to you))))))) Oleander

Old 10-20-2009, 08:19 PM   #12
(male)

flyfish1000 HB User

Its great to hear you are 100% better Oleander. I am seeing a new Dr who seems to be testing everything. Although he has not done the insulin test you describe. He did find through a 24 hour urine test that I had low Free Testosterone and for the past 8 weeks I have been on testosterone replacement. I have not noticed anything positive from this therapy yet however. I am 54 and this all started about 5 years ago. I will keep searching until I find the answer to this. I tried Lexapro in the beginning but it made me feel like I was going crazy for three months so I am going to try everything else before I try an Anti depressant again.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:52 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flyfish, Sorry this is long.

I learned alot from my Endo who was from Iceland and unfortunately he has gone back home because his mother is dying of cancer. In Europe they test the Blood sugar more for emotional problems. They believe it was connected. When he told me he felt my fatigue, gloomy outlook, daytime napping and inability to lose weight was from my blood sugar and not thyroid I thought he was crazy.... but he was right. He dug deeper. He is also a Phychiatrist. sp?

The high insulin is a prerequisite to Diabetes... but you need a 2 hour done to show the entire picture. My fasting insulin was normal, my 2 hour was sky high. I was placed on metformin and I could not believe how much better I felt and my weight fell off. My blood sugars are perfectly normal. My Endo explained you can have a perfectly normal blood sugar but have symptoms for 5 years before you blood sugar problems show up. Your Insulin tests will show it early if you have a problem.

I am 56 now. This started for me when I was 48. Sudden weight gain, fatigue and so on. I then started on my journey of spending tons of money on saliva tests, compounded hormones, supplements, different diets, books, health programs, Chinese herbs, accupuncture, and several Doctors....... none worked. Only on my checkbook.

Finally at 53 nodules appeared on my thryoid and everyone started taking notice. My labs were still normal but they started treating me due to my goiter and nodules.... See I was not imagining this.......

Well now I know I have Hashimoto's, Celiac, a milk allergy that was totally unknown to me and Insulin resistance. I am just now starting into Menopause late but doing fine with it. My Endo tells me I was developing what they call Metabolic Syndrome. Wieght gain, mild high blood pressure, lipid elevated, and weight around my middle.

So now my thyroid symptoms are better, my weight is down ( not back to my original size 7 but close enough), blood pressure is normal, cholesterol and triglycerides are normal, I am energetic and have no more brain fog. I have changed my diet completely and do not eat dairy or gluten. I exercise everyday even if it is just walking or lifting hand weights. I enjoy a glass of red wine every night encouraged by my Endo. I hope this all continues for me. I feel so happy.

FYI the Testosterone compound made me irritable and I gained weight on it. This does not mean it will happen to you but keep an eye on it.

I was on Zoloft for a short time. I only took 50 Mg instead of the 100mg. It actually worked well for me. It is the best one for people with anxiety. That would be me. My Dad had passed away and my kids had left home. I would take it again if needed. I would hesitate to take a new or different one.

Good luck, sorry this is so long but maybe it will help someone.

Oleander

Old 12-21-2009, 07:43 PM   #14
(female)

egul105 HB User

are you feeling good on the reformulated armour? I'm freaking a little because my doc just switched me from synthroid 125mcg to 120mg armour and I'm reading all these negative posts

Old 12-22-2009, 02:58 PM   #15
(male)

flyfish1000 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by egul105 View Post
are you feeling good on the reformulated armour? I'm freaking a little because my doc just switched me from synthroid 125mcg to 120mg armour and I'm reading all these negative posts
Its not a problem for everyone. Some people just don't digest the new filler or binder cellulose very well. Others have no problems. Just make sure you have a RX for a Lab test about one month out to see what your levels of T3 and T4 are as well as the TSH. Each 60mcg or each Grain of Armour is 38mcgs of T4 and 9mcgs of T3. The T3 is 4 times as strong as T4 so in your case you are getting 72mcgs of T4 and 18mcgs X4 of T3 for a total of 144mcgs of thyroid which is slightly higher than you took before. Your Dr can adjust it if need be based on your next labs or by the way you are feeling. If you don't do well on the Armour you can have the same combo of T4/T3 compounded at a compounding pharmacy which is quite inexpensive. Either way I would stick with some kind of T3/T4 combo rather than T4 alone which is what you were on before.

Closed Thread