It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2009, 04:43 PM   #1
(female)

vintageviolets HB User
tachycardia after refined carbs, anyone?

Hi! I have just checked in again, school started and whew... the pace really got to me. Hoping all are well here, hangin' in.

Still on a bit of Armour, modified release capsule, and a bit of synthroid. raising the synthroid a tad as my numbers of T4 are a bit lower percentage than my T3... hoping it works!

An ongoing issue that I really need to address~

For the past couple years, I have noticed that every time I eat a meal of mostly refined carbs, and lower protein, etc., my heart begins to race. It often shoots up 10 or more beats per minute, to 101, 103, 108. tonight it went to 114!

Since I have addison's disease, when pulse rate is too high, I take in a bit of extra Cortef, and see if it resolves within a half hour. if that helps, it was the trouble. If not, I have to start thinking of other possibilities.

So I took 5 mg. extra Cortef right away, and the 114 dropped to 100 in a half hour. Still not ideal, but there was a response for the better, at least.

Questions:
-what are the possible causes of sudden high heart rate, immediately after carb intake? (I mean, within a few minutes after, it happens) insulin resistance? or reactive hypoglycemia, but that would take more time to affect the heart, is that right? OR simply that my Cortisol drops low enough that the demands of digestion put me over the brink? egad.

-would you think I should even try to tweak synthroid higher yet, if I have this problem routinely now? If my heart cannot stand the thyroid dosing that my body requires to feel well, would I need to start on a heart medication?

Thanks for your thoughts,
vintageviolets

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2009, 06:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

javelina HB Userjavelina HB Userjavelina HB User
Re: tachycardia after refined carbs, anyone?

Always the tricky one! I really don't know why you are experiencing this. I have POTS from my adrenal issues but it comes on spontaniously without me being able to trace it back to a meal. You can try a beta blocker but maybe the thing to do is avoid refined carbs and low protein meals as much as possible. Given your endocrine issues it's not a bad idea to make some dietary changes to try to prevent this sort of occurrance. The more drugs you add to the mix the more complex things get.
Hope the stress-fest from school is quieting down!

Old 10-25-2009, 07:33 PM   #3
(female)

vintageviolets HB User

Javelina,
Hi! just saw your reply here. Do you know, I do avoid carbs esp. refined, as much as possible, don't even crave them. Unless and Until... I become slightly hypothyroid. Then I crave carbs, and stuff them in without a second thought. bad !

Wonder if the hypoT levels mess with blood sugar? they must... Maybe I become a bit hypoglycemic, or something similar, that is when I just eat and eat without ever feeling full... Working on a bit of a raise in thyroid now again, but sheesh this heart episode tonight, not so good. hoping heart will tolerate a rise... sheesh!

hope you're well~
vintageviolets

Old 10-26-2009, 01:34 PM   #4
(female)

justcallmedd HB User

Newby here at least to this site. I have noticed that my tachycardia bleeds through more when I have the refined carbs as well. I am taking a compounded script for hypo and hoshimoto's and an additional 25mcg a day of levoxyl. I had this once before when the compounding script was too much, and now it is back. I wonder if this is an indication of still too much levoxyl. Anyone else experience this? Thanks for the help ahead of time.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:03 AM   #5
(female)

vintageviolets HB User

Hi, justcallmedd~
I use a compounding pharmacist for a modified release capsule with only 1/8 grain of Armour. This along with a bit of synthroid, which i am adjusting over months' time to keep my heart happy :-)

Is your compounded dose a dessicated thyroid product? or t3 in another form, perhaps? thanks for your reply,
vintageviolets

Old 10-27-2009, 04:11 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sparkie HB User

Vintageviolets, explain how Addison's can cause a high(er) heart rate. I suspect low adrenals in myself and while often my pulse is low, there are times, particularly in the AM when I get up (which I think is odd) that it is high. How does Cortef help reduce heart rate? I am new to adrenal issues and don't have a huge understanding yet.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:05 PM   #7
(female)

justcallmedd HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageviolets View Post
Hi, justcallmedd~
I use a compounding pharmacist for a modified release capsule with only 1/8 grain of Armour. This along with a bit of synthroid, which i am adjusting over months' time to keep my heart happy :-)

Is your compounded dose a dessicated thyroid product? or t3 in another form, perhaps? thanks for your reply,
vintageviolets

Old 10-27-2009, 07:07 PM   #8
(female)

justcallmedd HB User

I will have to call and ask. I did once and forgot what they told me..thanks for the suggestion. I will check with naturopath to see if there might be something that could be causing the tachycardia..thanks again

Old 10-28-2009, 03:55 AM   #9
(female)

vintageviolets HB User

Hello, sparkie!
If my blood pressure and pulse are both running low (in tandem), then I think, Thyroid. too low replacement. But if I can feel heart racing, take pulse and it is up a ton, like 101 or 103 or higher for sure, then I know I am dehydrating. A high heart rate with or without low bp, is sign of adrenal insufficiency for me.

With adrenal insufficiency--I have Zero adrenal function--I must recognize the signs and correct them quickly to avoid an ER visit or at least injectable. (this doesn't necessarily apply in cases of slight hypofunction, I think?) An endocrinologist with the most adrenal experience that you can find, is best bet in sorting it all out, I think!

good luck,
vv

Old 10-28-2009, 03:59 AM   #10
(female)

vintageviolets HB User

Whatever it is, I hope at least it is modified release. As long as it is being compounded, seems silly not to have the timed release factor covered. I had to decrease my Armour dose, introduce the MR form of it, and heart doing better. That's why this episode on Sunday with tachycardia after high carb meal, was so frustrating! I thought we had this licked, and now basically have ruled out thyroid as a possible culprit, I suppose.

endo will have to sort this one out!
vv

Old 10-28-2009, 04:12 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

sparkie HB User

My heart rate tends to increase postprandial. This is a newish occurence for me in the last year or so. Did you find with your low adrenal function a lack of appetite? I should have my saliva results back today or tomorrow so I am still not sure if this is what I have although I seem to have a lot of symptoms...tremors, anxiety, weight loss, restlessness, but not tired or dragging until after work, low body temp, poor tolerance to emotional stress (started Lexapro x 3 weeks which has helped a lot, prescribed 10 mg., only taking 5 which seems effective, reluctant to increase to 10), and my exercise tolerance has decreased, this is coming from an avid fitness nut, workout 7 x/week, distance runner, minumum of an hour of cardio every day, weights every other. It's like my body is asking me to take it down several notches, which I have. I still think exercise is important and if what I have is truly adrenal/thyroid related, exercise may play an important role in maintaining function, but at a tolerable sensible level.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:38 PM   #12
(female)

vintageviolets HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
My heart rate tends to increase postprandial. This is a newish occurence for me in the last year or so. Did you find with your low adrenal function a lack of appetite? I should have my saliva results back today or tomorrow so I am still not sure if this is what I have although I seem to have a lot of symptoms...tremors, anxiety, weight loss, restlessness, but not tired or dragging until after work, low body temp, poor tolerance to emotional stress (started Lexapro x 3 weeks which has helped a lot, prescribed 10 mg., only taking 5 which seems effective, reluctant to increase to 10), and my exercise tolerance has decreased, this is coming from an avid fitness nut, workout 7 x/week, distance runner, minumum of an hour of cardio every day, weights every other. It's like my body is asking me to take it down several notches, which I have. I still think exercise is important and if what I have is truly adrenal/thyroid related, exercise may play an important role in maintaining function, but at a tolerable sensible level.
Sparkie,
My low cortisol was not chronically low. It was acute. Brought on by autoimmune destruction of the gland, at first I think it was borderline low, not sure. But then I developed a severe mycoplasmic bacteria pneumonia. Fever 105, three antibiotics tried. I was in seriously bad shape, doctors kept telling me, your infection is not responding to the drugs. Finally IV Rocefin hit it. I also had Syndrome of Inappropriate Antidiuretic Hormone, SIADH for short. Now i find out, that SIADH is part of the clinical picture of addison's disease.

It is so important to have excellent endo on the case. He saved my life. Six other visits (five docs in all) did not diagnose it. Husband carried me to ER, and I requested the endo I wanted. Knew it was something strange, that's for sure! And was dx 24 hours from circulatory collapse. whew.

I would think full panel, be SURE it isn't thyroid, endogenous or exogenous, causing these symptoms of tiredness, fatigueability, etc. Rule that one out, so you don't have too many suspect issues... then get a great endo to work up adrenal. Or B12, pernicious anemia is another autoimmune disease causing tiredness, etc.

I hope you can find the help you need to be well~!
vintageviolets

Closed Thread