Here is a clip from my intro post (for background info):
During childbearing years: |
- goiter during first pregnancy, diagnosed with "thyroiditis" (goiter went away half way through pregnancy)
- gained large amount of weight in first pregnancy
- lost large amount of weight after pregnancies
- extremely heavy (unmanageable) menstrual periods
- mental fog
- sensitivity to cold
- multiple miscarriages
- feelings of pressure in neck
- goiter (or perhaps nodule) has developed over past 2 weeks (uncomfortable to have lump in my neck)
- muscle pain
- weight gain over past year
- very dry skin/hair
- extremely heavy menstrual periods
- mental fog
- diagnosed GAD (with panic tendencies)
- feel unwell (flu like) all of the time
- sensitivity to cold (feel frozen all of the time now, just can't get warm)
I saw my new (we just moved here) family doctor on Monday and he commented on how many nodules and how much swelling I had in my neck. He took my med history and sent me for blood and an u/s that day.
His office called me the following day and told me that he wanted to see me ASAP, so I booked an appt. for the next day.
I was given all of my results and he said that I have a multinodular thyroid.
I now have a thyroid scan booked for this coming monday.
He also said that I was HYPERthyroid (what!!??). I was so surprised since I have been having HYPO symptoms for years.
He said that I have Hashimoto's and that I must be in the hyper phase of it. He also said that one part of my thyroid could be hypo, while the other part is hyper.
He said that I will most likely be hyper for a while and then gradually go hypo. He is referring me to an endo for management.
He is also concerned about anemia since my red blood cells are small.
So, I went for more blood work (b12) and booked a full physical for the week following my scan to get my results and followup on the new blood work.
He did say that I was "a mess", but that he was going to get to the bottom of my thyroid issues and my anemia.
I asked for my test results, but they don't make much sense to me, yet. Any insight would be appreciated!!:
sTSH 0.27 (L) (0.35 - 5.00)
T4 FREE 16 (10 - 20)
FREE T3 4.3 (2.6 - 5.7)
RBC 5.07 (H) (3.6 - 5.01)
MCV 75 (L) (80 - 99.0)
MCH 25 (L) (27 - 32.0)
My questions are:
1. How could I have so many hypo symptoms and be hyper thyroid?
2. Could the hyper reading be due to a thyroid attack (the goiter/nodules flared up 2 weeks ago)?
3. Is anemia a symptom of thyroid issues?
4. The doctor mentioned cancer several times...I'm scared...should I be?